DS Topic? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
thesybarite

Bronze

DS Topic?

Post by thesybarite » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:07 pm

delete
Last edited by thesybarite on Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Platinum

Re: DS Topic?

Post by Knock » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:08 pm

thesybarite wrote:I'm struggling to cut my DS down to something that is punchy and succinct.

Key points could be:

International, grew up rurally in country on the other side of the world... I know the indigenous language here, also a couple of other languages in addition to English obviously.

Had a horrifically abusive/negligent childhood - raised younger brother

Married w children (slightly older, non-trad?)

One school that I'm applying to limits the DS to 2 paragraphs. Any thoughts??
The growing up in a foreign country seems like it would be the best definitely. Were you born here and moved there when you were young and came back? or born there?

thesybarite

Bronze

Post by thesybarite » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:11 pm

delete
Last edited by thesybarite on Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:12 pm

It really depends on how you write on any topic. Mature insights impress readers.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:21 pm

thesybarite wrote:Ah Knockglock I've read so much from you. Brilliant.

Born in Hawaii, moved when I was 4. I think you're right. International is a strong angle. The rest just seems like messy life stuff.
:mrgreen:. I think growing up in a foreign country, and growing up in a different culture could give you some great insights that would benefit the student body at any law school you attend. If you can come up with some specific details and reasons why you would bring diversity to a law school classroom it could be great. But like Canadianwolf says, it really depends on how you write it and the overall essay.

You could write about the other topics if you wanted, but you would have to be more careful with how you approach and describe your experiences. But I think that growing up as an American in a foreign country is probably much less common than having a tough childhood or being a non-traditional applicant, and so might make for a more interesting and unique essay/application.
CanadianWolf wrote:It really depends on how you write on any topic. Mature insights impress readers.
Definitely agree with you here.

thesybarite

Bronze

Post by thesybarite » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:29 pm

Thanks for your help, am ripping it to shreds now while the children kill each other. It's all very conducive to a creative working environment.

I haven't been back to the States - this is my ticket hopefully :D

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:31 pm

thesybarite wrote:Thanks for your help, am ripping it to shreds now while the children kill each other. It's all very conducive to a creative working environment.

I haven't been back to the States - this is my ticket hopefully :D
No problem, good luck with your DS and your cycle! Feel free to shoot me a pm if you have any more questions, or you need someone to review your DS.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”