Is there less anxiety or nerves on the retake? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
IAMGenius

New

Is there less anxiety or nerves on the retake?

Post by IAMGenius » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:43 pm

My goal is to get a 170+. It is definetly possible if I can get rid of the nerves. The June LSAT was my first try and my nerves literally froze me on the first section. I had LR,LG,LR,RC,LR. I missed 14 on the first LR section, which I usually miss 2-4!! Couldn't finish the second section. I missed 1 on the first game then had to guess on the last game and missed them all. Missed my normal amount on RC, worst section for me during PTing. Then only missed 3. Yes 3 on the last LR!!! I chunked this up to nerves. Since after the break everything went as normal with my last 2 sections. What do you guys think? Sound like nerves? If you retook the test did you experience less anxiety?

djjf39

Bronze

Re: Is there less anxiety or nerves on the retake?

Post by djjf39 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:14 pm

OP, I had the same test form as you LR-LG-LR-RC-LR, and got punked by the interns and mulch games. I think most of the people on this site will tell you the best way to overcome nerves is to practice taking PTs under real test-taking conditions. If you already did this, then try training with less than ideal time/environment. I am retaking in OCT, and will definitely put more effort into training under realistic to sub-optimal conditions.

Your story, to answer the posted Q, sounds like nerves to me. I personally experienced the same kind of shellshock on the LG section when I realized halfway through the first game that I had inverted a rule. I panicked and ended up -8 for the section.

PlugInBaby

Bronze

Post by PlugInBaby » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:52 am

I was far more anxious the second time around because I had much higher expectations for myself and took the test much more seriously. Despite all my studying I cracked under my self-applied pressure and got the same score as I did the first time I took it when I didn't care all that much.

My advice if taking timed PTs doesn't work (didn't work for me) is to examine what possible stressors in your life may exascerbate test anxiety. Work those things out and try to enter test day with an unburdened mind. Also try some stress relaxing activities like this one recommended on another thread.
http://students.georgiasouthern.edu/cou ... elax07.htm

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:09 am

I was much more relaxed on my retake, and had a 7 point improvement over my original test. Part of this was just knowing what to expect on the day of the test, but a big part was also going into the test more prepared. I took a few PTs under pretty realistic testing conditions at a local public library near the test center, and knowing that I could perform to my PT standard in a situation where there were plenty of noises and distractions helped with the nerves too.

The nerves might have been better during the test, but it didn't make the 3 week wait for the scores any better. No matter how confident I was going into the test, by the time scores were released I was just hoping I hadn't scored lower than my original test.

Good luck!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”