Brazilians in law school? URM? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
brasil

New

Brazilians in law school? URM?

Post by brasil » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:44 am

I go to a state school, 3.82 GPA Finance/Econ double major and just took the June LSAT. I'm starting to plan the application process and was wondering about who qualifies as an URM. I am 100% Brazilian, moved to America in high school (didn't know any English before I came).

I feel like I would qualify as a minority, but some posts I've read on here suggest that the URM requirements have something to do with each school trying to have similar minority representation, percentage wise, as the U.S. population.

If so, Brazilians constitute 0.5% of the U.S. population. Would I be considered a minority at a LS if the Brazilian population was underrepresented? And does anyone have any idea what T14s I would probably be considered a minority at? I feel like I got in between a 160-165 on the June LSAT and would take it again if I find out there is no way I can get minority treatment.

Let me know what you think.

bk1

Diamond

Re: Brazilians in law school? URM?

Post by bk1 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:49 am

No.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:50 am

No.

{bk beat me to it }

jeremydc

Bronze

Post by jeremydc » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:53 am

can he still write a diversity statement?

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:53 am

jeremydc wrote:can he still write a diversity statement?
Absolutely. Diversity statements don't need to only be written by URMs.

jeremydc

Bronze

Post by jeremydc » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:56 am

Thanks, I didn't know that.

MJMD

Bronze

Post by MJMD » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:57 am

-

brasil

New

Post by brasil » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:09 am

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll have to explain my background through my DS; can a DS that demonstrates deep diversity outside of the URM qualifying countries give me comparable benefits when applying? Sorry if I appear ignorant, but I have yet to find a clear explanation to my situation.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:30 am

brasil wrote:Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll have to explain my background through my DS; can a DS that demonstrates deep diversity outside of the URM qualifying countries give me comparable benefits when applying? Sorry if I appear ignorant, but I have yet to find a clear explanation to my situation.
No. A well-written DS will help you, but only high level softs (i.e. winning an olympic medal) are in any way comparable to the URM boost.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”