Should I delay receiving degree to boost gpa? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

New

Should I delay receiving degree to boost gpa?

Post by 080808 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:47 am

Hi!

PLEASE RESPOND!!!

I have completed all requirements for a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology and Education from the University of California Berkeley, and am currently on the Spring 2010 degree list. I currently have a cumulative grade point average of 3.34. However, I also have 6 units worth of NPs, which lowers my LSDAS gpa to 3.21.

Should I postpone receiving my degree to take additional classes to raise my grade point average?

Also, I had one really bad semester. Should I add an addendum explaining that semester?

Your input and suggestions will be much help and greatly appreciated as this matter is causing me much stress.

Thank you

CSKNJ

New

Re: Should I delay receiving degree to boost gpa?

Post by CSKNJ » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:53 am

I think you should graduate. Your GPA after 3.5/4 years is not going to change much unless you stay in school for another year plus. Your grades are decent enough from a great school that if you ace the LSAT you could go almost anywhere you want.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:46 pm

Also, the financial disincentive of staying in school longer is probably not worth it.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:51 pm

Yeah definitely graduate. You're not going to be able to raise your GPA that much, spend time focusing on the LSAT instead. Get a job and start saving for law school. As for the addendum, include it if you think you have a decent excuse.

Zatarra

New

Post by Zatarra » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:05 pm

Depends on a lot of factors! How long were you thinking of staying? How much would a semester or two actually boost your GPA? If you're talking about a sub ~.05 it may not be worth it, but if you think you could push it up ~.1 or more, then that might be significant.

How much would it cost? And, perhaps more importantly, do you have any other compelling reasons to stay? (classes you always wanted to take but never had the chance to, study abroad opportunity, etc). I don't think there's any problem sticking around with another semester to two, so long as it's done for the right reasons (Warning, statistically insignificant anecdote!! ;): a friend stayed on a fifth year at UCLA to do a study abroad program - she loved it, boosted her GPA, and changed her career focus, and is much happier for it, so the extra time CAN be worth it, if you YOU make the most of it.)

We also don't know what you got on your LSATs, or where you're applying. Unfortunately, your GPA as is would make a T14 exceedingly difficult, even with a great LSAT.

So, in general, while I wouldn't recommend dragging out undergrad JUST to push up a GPA a tiny amount, depending on your precise situation, it might make sense.

That said, if you want bump up your app and are looking at a very small increase in GPA, consider getting a Masters or doing something else that might make you stand out a bit more (no, your graduate GPA likely won't matter much, but a decent Masters will pull away from the pack more than an extra ~.03 on the GPA).

Good luck!

ppa840

Bronze

Post by ppa840 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:19 pm

Zatarra wrote:Depends on a lot of factors! How long were you thinking of staying? How much would a semester or two actually boost your GPA? If you're talking about a sub ~.05 it may not be worth it, but if you think you could push it up ~.1 or more, then that might be significant.

How much would it cost? And, perhaps more importantly, do you have any other compelling reasons to stay? (classes you always wanted to take but never had the chance to, study abroad opportunity, etc). I don't think there's any problem sticking around with another semester to two, so long as it's done for the right reasons (Warning, statistically insignificant anecdote!! ;): a friend stayed on a fifth year at UCLA to do a study abroad program - she loved it, boosted her GPA, and changed her career focus, and is much happier for it, so the extra time CAN be worth it, if you YOU make the most of it.)

We also don't know what you got on your LSATs, or where you're applying. Unfortunately, your GPA as is would make a T14 exceedingly difficult, even with a great LSAT.

So, in general, while I wouldn't recommend dragging out undergrad JUST to push up a GPA a tiny amount, depending on your precise situation, it might make sense.

That said, if you want bump up your app and are looking at a very small increase in GPA, consider getting a Masters or doing something else that might make you stand out a bit more (no, your graduate GPA likely won't matter much, but a decent Masters will pull away from the pack more than an extra ~.03 on the GPA).

Good luck!
+1

If tuition is cheap/you are financially set and you can move your GPA up by more than just .0X, then it may be worth it.

achang

New

Post by achang » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:02 pm

Agree, graduate and let your other factors shine.
Write a nice P.S. - Good LOR's and you should be fine; also, don't forget you are getting two degrees instead of one is a big factor regardless of your low GPA

jen_said

New

Post by jen_said » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:10 pm

Graduate in the summer - you're not really late AND summer classes are great GPA boosters.

I did an internship my "last" semester of my senior year and finished up 3 classes over the summer (all A's) and it did not matter at all in my application process. Just make it seem like its worth it.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”