Proving ancestry Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
180lawstudent

New

Proving ancestry

Post by 180lawstudent » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:21 am

I have a two part question:

In this day and age of getting your Ancestral (Genetic/DNA) Origins test and map... it used your DNA and matched it to the regions of peoples whose DNA structure yours most closely matched.

My question is could you use that as a proof of being a URM? I ask because I have Native American and Black in my family lineage, but as most people, I can't prove the NA portion of it.

My second question is if you want to be considered as a URM; it's the consenous that you should write a diversity statement instead of a personal statement?

newyorker88

Silver

Re: Proving ancestry

Post by newyorker88 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:55 am

Diversity statements are optional and written in addition to a personal statement. Also writing one doesn't make you a URM and not writing one wouldn't make you not a URM. URM status is dependent on which ethnic minority group you belong to, African American, Native American, Mexican, and Puerto Rican. You indicate this by checking the appropriate box on your application. Also, schools rarely ask you for proof that you are a URM.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:14 pm

No, to the first question just no..

fear&loathingintexas

New

Post by fear&loathingintexas » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:37 am

No law school in their right mind would demand a DNA analysis to prove your ethnic/racial background. Privacy issues, political incorrectness, shades of that old "one drop" test from the Jim Crow days...

Besides, it would be much cheaper for them to just include a brown paper bag with the admissions paperwork.

Sh@keNb@ke

Bronze

Post by Sh@keNb@ke » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:16 am

OP, don't be an idiot. If you're 1/12th African-American because of your great great great great great grandpa, but you don't look black at all then that's just immoral.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:20 am

Sh@keNb@ke wrote:OP, don't be an idiot. If you're 1/12th African-American because of your great great great great great grandpa, but you don't look black at all then that's just immoral.
What if you're 1/4th black because the father's half black but you're as white as powder? :wink:

Sh@keNb@ke

Bronze

Post by Sh@keNb@ke » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:54 am

Someone who's 1/4 black does not say that they have African-American blood in their lineage lol.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:22 pm

If you're under 50% minority then I think you should only state URM status if you're currently living in a black or native american community or if having either portion clearly influenced your parents' lives and therefore yours. Like if they went to a segregated school or something.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:29 pm

sibley wrote:If you're under 50% minority then I think you should only state URM status if you're currently living in a black or native american community or if having either portion clearly influenced your parents' lives and therefore yours. Like if they went to a segregated school or something.
Just no.

What a fail of a thread.

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:35 pm

I think you can just provide your Ancestry.com report

http://www.ancestry.com/

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:35 pm

You don't think a non-native living on a reservation experiences exactly the same setbacks as someone who is actually a minority?

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:38 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
sibley wrote:You don't think a non-native living on a reservation experiences exactly the same setbacks as someone who is actually a minority?
I'm going to jump in right here and remind you that this is NOT OP's question.
I was just pointing out that my original response had the potential to be valid. We don't have all of OPs details. I gave a generic example.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:39 pm

sibley wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
sibley wrote:You don't think a non-native living on a reservation experiences exactly the same setbacks as someone who is actually a minority?
I'm going to jump in right here and remind you that this is NOT OP's question.
I was just pointing out that my original response had the potential to be valid.
No it didn't. It was nothing but mere speculation and completely baseless.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”