Native American? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
adamquigley9

New

Native American?

Post by adamquigley9 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:15 pm

Not to beat a dead horse on this forum, but I can't find a specific answer to my question.

My great-grandmother was a Native American (Cherokee to be exact). Now I'm not very good at math, but this makes me 1/8 Native American if I'm not mistaken. I have no registration or tribal affiliation paperwork or what not, but does this qualify me to consider myself URM status?

UF Gators

Bronze

Re: Native American?

Post by UF Gators » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:27 pm

Have you ever in your life checked the box for Native American on any type of application? If you haven't then you are not a URM.

avacado111

Bronze

Post by avacado111 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:29 pm

i guess you can check both. Native American and whatever else you are.... that's the bueaty of the boxes. Altho, don't expect your urm bump to be great.

adamquigley9

New

Post by adamquigley9 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:51 pm

No...only recently discovered after grandmother passed away...sounds cliché, I know..

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:57 pm

adamquigley9 wrote:No...only recently discovered after grandmother passed away...sounds cliché, I know..

then no. You can check the box but with NA admissions without addressing it in a PS/DS you can't really expect too much of a bump; particularly since you don't have the registration information they request on apps. Law schools are aware of people who check the box "just" to be a URM but have never been involved in the culture and have no ties the community.

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:10 pm

Having origins in native peoples is only one component. Generally, an AI/AN has both origins in native peoples and maintains either tribal affiliation or community involvement.

earthlawyer

New

Post by earthlawyer » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:18 pm

adamquigley9 wrote:Not to beat a dead horse on this forum, but I can't find a specific answer to my question.

My great-grandmother was a Native American (Cherokee to be exact). Now I'm not very good at math, but this makes me 1/8 Native American if I'm not mistaken. I have no registration or tribal affiliation paperwork or what not, but does this qualify me to consider myself URM status?
1. yes. it's the truth. check the box.
2. no bump though b/c you need tribal affiliation. which requires registration in one of 562 tribes
3. but ask yourself, Have you ever heard the wolf cry to the blue corn moon? Or asked the grinning bobcat why he grinned? Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? Can you paint with all the colors of the wind?
4. i'm allowed to make the joke. my bf is 100% NA. our kids will get into yale.

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:28 pm

earthlawyer wrote:
adamquigley9 wrote:Not to beat a dead horse on this forum, but I can't find a specific answer to my question.

1. yes. it's the truth. check the box.
2. no bump though b/c you need tribal affiliation. which requires registration in one of 562 tribes
3. but ask yourself, Have you ever heard the wolf cry to the blue corn moon? Or asked the grinning bobcat why he grinned? Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? Can you paint with all the colors of the wind?
4. i'm allowed to make the joke. my bf is 100% NA. our kids will get into yale.
Tribal affiliation does not require tribal registration.
Last edited by WhiskeyGuy on Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GWdawg

New

Post by GWdawg » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:32 pm

I'm also 1/8th, checked both white and NA boxes, and wrote a diversity statement about it. Didn't help me one single bit.

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:00 pm

Nightrunner wrote:God I hate these threads.
All of these threads aren't bad. Some are created by people who have a sincere desire to be moral and stay true to who are they are. Unfortunately, these threads get lost amidst the more numerous and disingenuous threads.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:14 pm

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”