GLBT: C/O 2015, Grindr/Manhunt, and More Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
de5igual

Silver

GLBT: C/O 2015, Grindr/Manhunt, and More

Post by de5igual » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:54 pm

Moderator wrote:*Moderator Note: Title has been changed for 2011-12 application cycle*

Originial Thread Title: GLBT: using Grindr/Manhunt to aid in selecting Law School
The Classes of 2013 and 2014 have all cycled through this thread, and there are Class of 2012 people who check in, too.
I guess not all GLBT, mainly GB (maybe T):

Fess up: How many of you have used Grindr or Manhunt to scope out the area around a school?

I admit that I've made queries for Austin, TX (although the results were a little disappointing)...I'm hoping Grindr says otherwise during ASW.

chango

Bronze

Re: GLBT: using Grindr/Manhunt to aid in selecting Law School

Post by chango » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:09 pm

roflmao

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:31 pm

I've Grindr'd LA, and I swear the pages never end.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:03 pm

Rofl.

I've made sure there are gay people near the schools I've been admitted, but not on Manhunt. I did have a friend check "adam4adam" before accepting a job in the boondocks once. Downgrade.

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:17 pm

YCrevolution wrote:What is this Grindr thing?

Not that one needs whatever it is to determine prospects in non-northern VA (non-DC).
Grindr is a really grody (but fun) Iphone app where gay/bi guys can "network" and such. People basically post their pictures and self-descriptions, and Grindr lets you know how far other guys are from you.

Manhunt is disgusting and a tad outdated - dlist (or A4A if that's what you're looking for) is where it's at.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:20 pm

jay115 wrote:

Not that one needs whatever it is to determine prospects in non-northern VA (non-DC).
Grindr is a really grody (but fun) Iphone app where gay/bi guys can "network" and such. People basically post their pictures and self-descriptions, and Grindr lets you know how far other guys are from you.

Manhunt is disgusting and a tad outdated - dlist (or A4A if that's what you're looking for) is where it's at.
I'm all about Connexion, but that could be because I'm a Coloradan. A4A scared the beejesus out of me.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:23 pm

:lol: People actually do this? Even if I didn't have a boyfriend, it seems a tad... umm...

But I guess if you were applying to school literally in the middle of nowhere, especially a school with dubious gay credentials...

Okay, I'm still laughing.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:25 pm

Kretzy wrote:
jay115 wrote:

I'm all about Connexion, but that could be because I'm a Coloradan. A4A scared the beejesus out of me.
A4A is extremely tame compared to Manhunt. Thanks to MH, I now know where I can get a NSA BJ in W Austin. The downside is that MH is a paid subscription site, so it drastically limits the number of people you can find. I figure with Grindr, all the closeted fratties with an iphone will pop up :)

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:26 pm

LOL are Jay and I the only ones using these sites?

i find that a little hard to believe

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:31 pm

Kretzy wrote:
jay115 wrote:

Manhunt scared the beejesus out of me. Imagine, a newly minted out gay kid looking for other gay friends on the internet freshmen year... then getting inundated with 1000000x unmentionable requests from 50+ year old men. ugh.
f0bolous wrote:LOL are Jay and I the only ones using these sites?

i find that a little hard to believe
Psh I do not "use" any of these sites :P . Unlike f0bolous, I'm classy, haha. But really, everyone should get grindr - homos are always at the cutting edge of technology.

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:33 pm

The flake/fake factor on A4A is really, really high. Plus, too many people who just want to chat or are boyfriend hunting.

Never had much luck with Manhunt.

From the looks of this thread, maybe there's a niche web market for hard up gay prospective law school students.

Reverethong

New

Post by Reverethong » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:38 pm

chango wrote:
From the looks of this thread, maybe there's a niche web market for hard up gay prospective law school students.
*Top* Law Students?

Also, this is by far the most entertaining (and somewhat educational) thread I've read on this site.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:40 pm

Reverethong wrote:
chango wrote:
*Top* Law Students?

Also, this is by far the most entertaining (and somewhat educational) thread I've read on this site.
God let's hope "Bottom Law Students" doesn't become a companion site...

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:41 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
BenJ wrote::lol: People actually do this? Even if I didn't have a boyfriend, it seems a tad... umm...

But I guess if you were applying to school literally in the middle of nowhere, especially a school with dubious gay credentials...

My law school isn't in the middle of nowhere, but I'm surrounded by Jesusland (as in Liberty and Regent). At any rate, I never checked out any of those sites before applying Early Decision, and I still haven't checked them out for this area.

I don't have an iPhone. I do kind of, sort of, want a boyfriend though. :(
i'd imagine there to be a pretty large closeted fratty population at UVA...probably not your type (or is it?)

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:42 pm

chango wrote:The flake/fake factor on A4A is really, really high. Plus, too many people who just want to chat or are boyfriend hunting.

Never had much luck with Manhunt.

Well your profile says CMC UG - is that in conservative OC land? I'm surprised bc when I went to visit UCLA last summer, I thought my A4A was going to straight up explode (no pun intended... ha ha).
YCrevolution wrote: My law school isn't in the middle of nowhere, but I'm surrounded by Jesusland (as in Liberty and Regent). At any rate, I never checked out any of those sites before applying Early Decision, and I still haven't checked them out for this area.

Lol grindr isnt going to help you in that dept, sadly. I've been in a "bf over hookups" mode for the past couple of weeks too - I think wintertime reminds me of cuddling or something.
Last edited by jay115 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:42 pm

Kretzy wrote:
Reverethong wrote:
chango wrote:
*Top* Law Students?

LMAO

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:44 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
BenJ wrote::lol: People actually do this? Even if I didn't have a boyfriend, it seems a tad... umm...

My law school isn't in the middle of nowhere, but I'm surrounded by Jesusland (as in Liberty and Regent). At any rate, I never checked out any of those sites before applying Early Decision, and I still haven't checked them out for this area.

Oh, online dating works. Just use an actual dating site, like OkCupid (or Match, but that costs money) rather than a meet-up site like A4A or MH. I didn't know guys our age even used those latter sites, just men over 40.

And Charlottesville isn't so bad. Plus, weekend trips to DC ;)
Last edited by BenJ on Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:45 pm

f0bolous wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
Reverethong wrote:
chango wrote:
*Top* Law Students?

LMAO
Sounds like you have your "Horny gay law students" website name.

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:49 pm

BenJ wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:

Oh, online dating works. Just use an actual dating site, like OkCupid (or Match, but that costs money) rather than a meet-up site like A4A or MH. I didn't know guys our age even used those latter sites, just men over 40.

And, my condolences for your location. There are at least some gay men in Richmond and Hampton Roads, though.
YCrevolution - dude no on-line dating - thats sad. Go bar hopping - you go to a T14 law school! Even if there aren't any guys within proximity, DC has some mad rager clubs. I've heard XS on thursdays is free for those with school ID's :) Find some other homos and make a weekend of it.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:59 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:

i'd imagine there to be a pretty large closeted fratty population at UVA...probably not your type (or is it?)
I'm going to plead the 5th here. :oops:

It's the ultra-closeted part that actually bothers me. I can understand why people don't want to tell their families sometimes (esp. b/c you don't get to pick your family and some people have some crazy families), but what kind of delusion do you have to be living under to join a frat and pretend you're straight. At Vandy, there was this closeted fratboy in [an ultra-Southern frat], and he was obsessed, to the point of being paranoid, with making sure people didn't find out. I always wondered why he wanted to do that to himself.

But yeah, I'm not really the hookups type.
"I just need to focus on school right now." At least, I've heard that line multiple times before, that coming out was more stress than staying in the closet and therefore coming out was not an option while taking school serious. Incredibly misguided, of course, but still common.

Then again, I doubt a Vandy UG frat boy was too concerned about academics.

Also, online dating is less sleazy than picking guys up in bars and much more inclined to lead to long-term relationships. Bars are for hook-ups, if that's what you want.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”