How do law schools know you're URM? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
rookhawk

Bronze

How do law schools know you're URM?

Post by rookhawk » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:41 pm

I was looking at the Yale application amongst several others (e.g. Vanderbilt) that do not ask you about your race demographics. Therefore, how do they know you're a URM? Did you write your essay or personal statement to reflect that? Do they get that info from LSAC using your general forms?

kn6542

Silver

Re: How do law schools know you're URM?

Post by kn6542 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:45 pm

rookhawk wrote:I was looking at the Yale application amongst several others (e.g. Vanderbilt) that do not ask you about your race demographics. Therefore, how do they know you're a URM? Did you write your essay or personal statement to reflect that? Do they get that info from LSAC using your general forms?
Do these schools you are concerned about practice racial affirmative action? If not, why do you think they even need to know?

tristanlxboyd

New

Post by tristanlxboyd » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:47 pm

Are you a wasp looking to come across as a trans-gender pacific islander?

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:59 pm

rookhawk wrote:I was looking at the Yale application amongst several others (e.g. Vanderbilt) that do not ask you about your race demographics. Therefore, how do they know you're a URM? Did you write your essay or personal statement to reflect that? Do they get that info from LSAC using your general forms?
Any URM with a half-decent story will write a diversity statement. My guess is that Yale ignores URM status if there is no DS, and possibly others do as well.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:00 pm

I don't know about all schools, but at Yale they just call a skull-and-bones member at the CIA and ask about you.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”