LGBT Diversity Statement! Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
SEATTLEITE188

New

LGBT Diversity Statement!

Post by SEATTLEITE188 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:01 am

Certain law schools I am applying to do not ask for a diversity statement, but I am wondering if I should include it anyway. In my personal statement, I talked about the adversity of being poor, among many other things influencing me to become a lawyer. In my diversity statement, I wanted to expand upon poverty but also talk a great deal about being gay and coming out to a conservative family. I also want to talk about how that affected my grades in a resulting depression, but how I over-came those obstacles eventually. So, should I send in a diversity statement? And if I cover my reasons for a bad grade trend in my diversity statement, do I need an official addendum as well? Thanks!

BenJ

Silver

Re: LGBT Diversity Statement!

Post by BenJ » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:53 am

Sounds like a great diversity statement. Make sure you don't sound whiny talking about your difficulties coming out, of course. Otherwise, this is exactly what the diversity statement is supposed to be.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:09 am

If you want to write a GPA addendum, do it separately. your diversity statement could be great, but I can see it getting derailed as you shift focus from the difficulties of coming out, how that affected you, how you overcame the challenge... to explaining away your GPA.

The diversity statement you are describing sounds more like a story of you prevailing in the face of adversity. Adding a section to it that talks about a bad GPA is very contradictory to that theme.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:23 am

Be careful. With an LGBT diverisity statement, it is easy to slip into writing a "coming out story" which while touching, may end up being off-topic. Make sure you make some logical connection between your sexual orientation and desire to practice law.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:19 pm

Cupidity wrote:Be careful. With an LGBT diverisity statement, it is easy to slip into writing a "coming out story" which while touching, may end up being off-topic. Make sure you make some logical connection between your sexual orientation and desire to practice law.
Agreed on this. If you are even remotely interested, mention the possibility of working in civil rights law or family law as relates to LGBT issues.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:23 pm

Yeah, you need any help[ just pm me.

anothernancydrew

Bronze

Post by anothernancydrew » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:39 pm

This may seem obvious, but if you have any LGBT-related work or volunteer experience, make sure and highlight this. Anything that you can tie-in to make the story less about sexuality itself and more about you and what experiences you can bring to a classroom, will likely work more in your favor.
fl0w wrote:If you want to write a GPA addendum, do it separately. your diversity statement could be great, but I can see it getting derailed as you shift focus from the difficulties of coming out, how that affected you, how you overcame the challenge... to explaining away your GPA.

The diversity statement you are describing sounds more like a story of you prevailing in the face of adversity. Adding a section to it that talks about a bad GPA is very contradictory to that theme.
I think this is great advice. Save the GPA stuff for a short and sweet addendum, don't let it break up the flow of your DS.

When I was writing mine, I found some great LGBT DSs in the depths of the TSL labyrinth, so search around a bit.

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:48 pm

*Nope*
Last edited by 84Sunbird2000 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:30 pm

anothernancydrew wrote:This may seem obvious, but if you have any LGBT-related work or volunteer experience, make sure and highlight this. Anything that you can tie-in to make the story less about sexuality itself and more about you and what experiences you can bring to a classroom, will likely work more in your favor.
fl0w wrote:If you want to write a GPA addendum, do it separately. your diversity statement could be great, but I can see it getting derailed as you shift focus from the difficulties of coming out, how that affected you, how you overcame the challenge... to explaining away your GPA.

I think this is great advice. Save the GPA stuff for a short and sweet addendum, don't let it break up the flow of your DS.

When I was writing mine, I found some great LGBT DSs in the depths of the TSL labyrinth, so search around a bit.
+1

I didn't write a DS (I integrated it into my personal statement), but I was talking to an adcomm on one of my many law school visits, and your strength as an LGBT applicant SIGNIFICANTLY increases if you provide examples of growth rather than just provide another sob story. Eg. Adcomms would like to read how after facing discrimination as an LGBT person you worked to reverse that discrimination with tangible results, rather than "I came out of the closet but no one can verify my story" drabble that I'm sure comes across their desks. I can send you mine if you're interested as my cycle is over.

JayTal

Bronze

Post by JayTal » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:35 pm

I didn't write a DS (I integrated it into my personal statement), but I was talking to an adcomm on one of my many law school visits, and your strength as an LGBT applicant SIGNIFICANTLY increases if you provide examples of growth rather than just provide another sob story. Eg. Adcomms would like to read how after facing discrimination as an LGBT person you worked to reverse that discrimination with tangible results, rather than "I came out of the closet but no one can verify my story" drabble that I'm sure comes across their desks. I can send you mine if you're interested as my cycle is over.[/quote

+1 for what the other Jay said. I didn't write a DS either, but worked my PS around my sexuality and how that has motivated my desire to study law. Again, just make sure what you're writing is pertinent and give examples. I've received a couple hand-written notes in my acceptance packages from adcoms saying they enjoyed my PS, so it's defiantly possible to write a compelling DS/PS around LGBT issues.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”