GPA Help! Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
supa150

New

GPA Help!

Post by supa150 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:53 pm

Hello,
I already have my foreign transcripts evaluated by JD Credential Assembly Service (JD CAS) offered by LSAC and it shows my grade average of 91% which translates to a U.S. grade of an "A", but it doesn't mention what my GPA is. Could you please tell me what my GPA is? a so I can judge my competitiveness in applying to law school.

Thank you very much.

lishi

Silver

Re: GPA Help!

Post by lishi » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:07 pm

--LinkRemoved--

From that aspect it looks like an "A" average would put you in the 4.0 range, but a 91% seems to drop you down to more of a 3.7 or 3.8

Also although you may not be applying now you can still send your transcripts into LSAC and register and they can let you know what your LSAC GPA would be.

beast510

New

Post by beast510 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:48 pm

I have a same question. My foreign transcript was converted to 82.67% "Above Average". But my dean wrote my an LOR, in which he mentioned that my rank in my school is among the top 15%, at my request. So what's my GPA?

Yimbeezy

Bronze

Post by Yimbeezy » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:53 pm

Last edited by Yimbeezy on Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beast510

New

Post by beast510 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:50 pm

Yimbeezy wrote:
beast510 wrote:I have a same question. My foreign transcript was converted to 82.67% "Above Average". But my dean wrote my an LOR, in which he mentioned that my rank in my school is among the top 15%, at my request. So what's my GPA?
Check out lawschoolpredictor.com in the GPA calculator area. It has a scale converting GPA to a 100-point scale. Your GPA will probably end up somewhere in the 2.8 range is my guess. That isn't so hot, especially as schools report GPAs in a standardized manner to USNWR. But, top 15% is quite solid, so a school might take the numbers hit to have an applicant who clearly did well in undergrad.
THX, but I think for some law schools, they have some students, most of which are international students, without GPA. Why's that?

And, do law schools really pay much attention to international students' GPA?

Yimbeezy

Bronze

Post by Yimbeezy » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:23 pm

beast510 wrote:
Yimbeezy wrote:
beast510 wrote:I have a same question. My foreign transcript was converted to 82.67% "Above Average". But my dean wrote my an LOR, in which he mentioned that my rank in my school is among the top 15%, at my request. So what's my GPA?
Check out lawschoolpredictor.com in the GPA calculator area. It has a scale converting GPA to a 100-point scale. Your GPA will probably end up somewhere in the 2.8 range is my guess. That isn't so hot, especially as schools report GPAs in a standardized manner to USNWR. But, top 15% is quite solid, so a school might take the numbers hit to have an applicant who clearly did well in undergrad.
THX, but I think for some law schools, they have some students, most of which are international students, without GPA. Why's that?

And, do law schools really pay much attention to international students' GPA?
I'm not sure on either count - maybe some int'l applicants from past cycles can chime in.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”