Let The Games Begin Forum

MITGradStudent

New

Let The Games Begin

Post by MITGradStudent » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:32 pm

Well, here it is now: 90 days (12 weeks and 6 days) from now until the time I stop studying for the LSAT. I've been lurking around TLS website since the beginning of January when I finally decided to commit to the idea of applying to law school. But, before I get into that, I should tell you more about myself.

I am second year graduate student at M.I.T studying Technology and Policy. I went to Vanderbilt University for undergrad where I received my B.E in Computer Engineering with Honors and a minor in Management of Technology. About this time two years ago, I was applying to graduate schools in order to study Electrical Engineering. At that time, I had originally wanted to get a Ph.D and study how technology affects public policy and vice versa. I had also wanted to enter academia in order to become a mentor for other URMs like myself in the engineering sciences. During that cycle, I was admitted to several graduate engineering programs at Duke, USC, and Carnegie Mellon, but I ultimately chose to attend M.I.T because it offered me the most flexibility to control the direction of my graduate career. However, after studying here for a year, I've changed my mind.

Prior to coming to M.I.T, I thought that the education and experience would allow me to have some impact in the field of technology and policy. However, my experience has been anything but that; my current research revolves around roadmapping new technologies to help corporate giants increase their market share and most graduates of the program end up working for a federal government agency or a consulting firm. There are alot of interesting issues in the field of law, technology, and public policy; and, from what I've seen, working for a government agency or at a consulting firm will not give me the opportunity to do that. It seems that the only way to have some impact in this arena is to get a law degree. So here I am studying for the LSAT and applying to law school.

As you read this, you may ask: "Why Write This Blog?" My answer to this question is two fold:
1. Applying to law school while being a full time graduate student who has to do research and write a thesis is freaking difficult. I am hoping that writing this blog will help me keep on task with studying for the LSAT, getting LORs, writing the PS, etc. I can use this blog to report my progress and hold me accountable.
2. Although websites like TLS, LawSchoolNumbers, and LSD can sometimes be helpful, alot of them are loaded with people who think they are the foremost experts in the LS Admissions Game. Hopefully, this blog will capture my experience and present useful information (in a nonjudgmental fashion).

So with that: It's time to get to work... Let the Games Begin!

MITGradStudent

New

Day 6

Post by MITGradStudent » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:26 pm

Hi Guys - Well it is day 6 of my full time LSAT studies. To be honest, I am finding it rather difficult to fall into a routine. Alot of the times, I want to just lock myself in the library and study all day. However, I know that that is just not practical - I neither have the attention span nor the time to do that. From what I have been reading on TLS and other law school admission forums, 3.5 hours a day is the norm for most people.

I am also kinda stressed out about the amount of materials I have to review in order to prep for the test. In addition to 6 or 7 books and online resources that come with Kaplan's Extreme LSAT course, I also bought the Logic Games and Logical Reasoning Bible. I plan to review both of those during July. I also printed out Voyager's Plans for RC and General LSAT prep. His plans seem to be similar to Kaplan's, but it provides a good structure guidelines for the three months that you'll spend studying. I will post the link to his plans later tonight.

Overall, I guess I am beginning to feel some anxiety about the stuff that has to get done if I want to apply to T1 lawschools, write my thesis, and graduate all in this upcoming cycle.

MITGradStudent

New

Change is a foot

Post by MITGradStudent » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:42 am

Yesterday, I read in the news that Chancellor Gordon Gee is leaving Vanderbilt University (my alma mater) and to be honest I am quite upset about the news. He has done great things for the university and made it a more inclusive place to be. During the years that I was there, the university went up in the rankings and became more of a nationally recognized institution. He will be missed...

--LinkRemoved--

Gee's departure has also made me think more about the current track upon which I have recently started. It is a such a huge departure from where I thought I was going less than two years ago. I am in a state of transition and it makes uneasy. Hell, I have yet to even ask my undergrad profs for LORs because I am nervous as to how they will react to the news. Athough I have some inner doubts about this new career move, I know in my heart that is the right one. I love research but I also want to play an active role in the technology, law, and policy arena.

As for Vanderbilt, they should also take that next (and to some scary step) and name its first minority or female candidate to the chancellorship. Above all else, I hope they appoint someone who will continue upon Gee's work to make Vanderbilt a world-class institution!

MITGradStudent

New

To Take a year off or to NOT take a year off?

Post by MITGradStudent » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:46 pm

I know, I know... I am horrible at keeping up a blog...

Anyways, I talked to my uncle this past Sunday and the conversation kinda threw me off my game... He told me, without any hesistation, that I should take a year or two off to get a job. Remind you, I was planning on going straight through from 6 years of non-stop undergrad and graduate school to law school. Since then, I've been thinking seriously about this option. It would be nice to take a break, do the 9-to-5 thing, and make some money. It would also give me sometime to just be "me." On the other hand, knowing that I am a naturally competitve person, I don't how I will handle taking a time out on the sidelines for a year. I have promised myself that if I was going to take a timeout it would be just for a year ONLY. At this point, I really don't know what to do. I am just not planning to be in school when I am 30 ( I am only 23).

On the LSAT front, I took a practice test at the Kaplan Center last Saturday. This was my second test; and on both of them, I scored in the 150's. There were some small victories between the first and second test (number missed in LR and LG decreased); however, my RC score took a big hit. For this week, I plan to continue the work on Grouping, Matching, and Sequencing LGs as well as Pacing Practice on LR and RC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “TLS Web Logs (Blogs)”