trickguy's blog (basically why I'll be at Ann Arbor) Forum

trickguy96

New

trickguy's blog (basically why I'll be at Ann Arbor)

Post by trickguy96 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:48 pm

Just got back from an amazing (and exausting) weekend at Michigan Law's admitted students weekend. I'm not really sure as to the best way to break this down so here goes:

The Law Quad is absolutely stunning. I've seen pictures in viewbooks and such but they can't do it justice. I was fortunate to be there for some really nice weather, but even when it was cloudy, I was taken aback by the architecture of the place. The reading room feels like almost a holy place when you walk into it and the view from the skylight in the library is pretty awe inspiring.

Outside of the law quad, the town seems pretty vibrant. I'm coming from a college town myself (Columbia, MO) and Ann Arbor looks like it is a lot nicer. There's a feeling of culture and diversity there that I didn't think I'd get. People in the town are very friendly and there are a variety of entertainment venues (theatres, bars, restaraunts, etc.) to keep me busy when I have some free time. Also, it seems that there is a very serviceable public transportation system in place. I'm debating right now whether or not I'll need a car.

Back to the law quad. My initial impression of the Lawyer's Club is that it would just be a glorified dorm for law students. In many ways, it probobly is. But the rooms themselves are much nicer than what I expected and they are all unique (size, view, some have fireplaces). I definately felt some relief when I saw a room because I pretty much accepted that I'd need to live on campus, at least for the first year.

Another poster mentioned in a thread about the people being an issue. I have absolutely no idea where this could be coming from. I think that the people there are the key selling point as to why I felt so comfortable at the school. I don't know how else to say this, but everyone is so nice. The faculty were all very engaging and the current students (even the ones not volunteering for ASW) were happy to talk to any of the perspective students about anything at all. I ran into a 2L when he was in between classes and we started chatting about the school. I told him that I'd love to end up in the Midwest professionaly and he gave me his email so that, no matter what school I go to, he could hook me up with a summer associatship at a firm he works for in K.C. after my first year. Totally unexpected.
You get the overwhelming feeling that the admissions department works to bring together a class that is brilliant and insightful, but not at all pretentious. Even other perspective students were all very easy to get along with and I'm pretty sure that I made a number of friendships that will carry over into fall semester.

Overall, I felt that I could come to Michigan and be happy there for the next three years. I'm sure that there are a number of things that I've left out about what made the even so convincing for me, so if anyone has any questions, shoot me a message. If you are as convinced as I am about Michigan, please shoot me a message and we can chat about the upcoming year.

Now I just have to come back down to earth and finish up my undergrad. I'm still waiting on UPenn and have a couple of waitlists (UVa and Columbia), but I think I'll withdraw those with the rest of my offers tomorrow.

trickguy96

New

Post by trickguy96 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:23 pm

Withdrew from Vanderbilt today.

Called and made an phone appoitment with Michigan's Dean of Financial Aid to try and beg for more grant money tomorrow. (Wish me luck!)

I'm goint to hold off on the rest of my withdrawals until tomorrow, but for those of you on waitlists a spot will be opening up at:
Georgetown
Cornell
WUSTL

I guess I'll also withdraw from the waitlist groups at UVa and Columbia.

Wish Penn would give me an effin' answer already! Maybe I'll call them and make sure my app isn't under a rock somewhere.

trickguy96

New

Post by trickguy96 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:31 pm

Just called Penn and all the person could tell me was that a decision has not been made yet.

Seriously?

I just can't believe how long it's taking! I've been complete since early January.

trickguy96

New

Post by trickguy96 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:18 pm

withdrew from Wash U yesterday.

they sent me an email requesting that i either claim my scholarship award or withdraw so that they can distribute the money to other students. i guess fair is fair.

still waiting to hear back from cornell about financial aid.

i wonder michigan redistributes merit award money that goes unclaimed? anyone know anything about this, i would really love a private message.

i guess in the long run, i'll be in debt for six figures no matter how i cut it. can't really go crazy over a few grand here or there.

sidenote: can't help but smile at UVa's slight drop in the new rankings. bad karma for waitlisting me :lol:

trickguy96

New

Post by trickguy96 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:29 pm

got off the phone with my roomate who was kind enough to call and tell me about a letter from cornell in my mail today. their financial aid offer was NO GRANT MONEY :? . kinda sucks, but i guess it makes my decision easier.

i wonder what standards they use to judge your level of need. michigan requested everything that cornell did PLUS a copy of mine and my parents latest tax returns and michigan at least ponied up for 8k/year in grant money.

i'm going to go ahead and send a withdrawal email to cornell and georgetown.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

trickguy96

New

thoughts to ponder while i delay work on my thesis...

Post by trickguy96 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:17 am

so i've been thinking...

something has been bothering me throughout the whole selection process and i originally thought that it would be put to rest once i made my decision. i think that it goes deeper than what i'm doing with the next three years of my life...

since about sophomore year of highschool i've been on a one-way track to law school. the way i figured, when i was applying to undergrad schools (only two) was this:

go to college on the cheap, in-state

take classes, grades, etc. seriously and keep a high gpa

apply for honor societies, part time work, look busy, buff resume

take the lsat, and with any combination of luck, grades, lsat score, and all the extra crap, get into WUSTL (i'm from St. Louis) and if that doesn't work out, St. Louis U

when i began reading on the application process, my goals broadened and i realized that i could apply to some amazing schools that i was too mistified with to believe i had a shot at before.

i've been so goal oriented toward getting into a good law school that i've never stopped to think about what to do after. for the past 6 years i've focused on one thing and now that its coming to fruition, i don't really know what to do with myself. shouldn't there be something beyond the light at the end of the tunnel?

maybe i need to be in the light see it...

on a side note, isn't it unfair that we get into law school, shmooze with law school people during visits, sit in on law school classes, get accustomed to the environment at a law school and then... have to go back to finish undergrad crap. i'm so over my classes right now i can barely find the motivation to get out of bed for my 12:30 history of blah blah blah class.

trickguy96

New

Post by trickguy96 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:14 pm

FINALLY waitlisted at Penn.

The cycle is now complete.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “TLS Web Logs (Blogs)”