BU or Suffolk Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
AlanShore

Silver

Re: BU or Suffolk

Post by AlanShore » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:32 pm

englawyer wrote:
summerstar wrote:ok, at the risk of starting even more fireworks, I also looked at New England Law|Boston.

fire away :wink:
boston pecking order:

#1. HLS
#2/#3: BU/BC (equal)
#4: Northeastern
#5: Suffolk
#6: New England

there are significant differences between any of those tiers. if you are get admitted to a higher school go there. the only time to violate tiers within boston would perhaps be suffolk full ride over northeastern sticker, but even that is a maybe depending on your debt aversion and career goals
+1 i would DEFINITELY take bu/bc sticker over northeastern or suffolk full-ride. (northeastern rarely gives any more than 8500/yr though..) i would personally take northeastern with 8500/yr over suffolk full-ride but that can definitely be debated.

i personally wouldn't go to new england at all but i think if you are happy with just practicing law in a very small firm and maybe starting your own one day it is o.k.

summerstar

Bronze

Post by summerstar » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:33 pm

know the hierarchy in black and white, but have to do the part-time schedule so I am totally limited.
thought there may be SOMETHING good to hear about these lower end schools. Didn't think so. too bad.

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:36 pm

summerstar wrote:know the hierarchy in black and white, but have to do the part-time schedule so I am totally limited.
thought there may be SOMETHING good to hear about these lower end schools. Didn't think so. too bad.
oh.. what are your stats? i dont think suffolk is a terrible school or anything but i just think BU and BC are a lottttt better.

what are your goals? depending on your goals suffolk could definitely be the right fit.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:39 pm

reasonable_man wrote:You just put a mint 1967 Mustang cobra GT500 next to a 1989 honda civic with a rusted frame, running on 3-cylinders, with no power windows or doorlocks next to each other and asked; which is better?

This...Image

vs.

this...Image

summerstar

Bronze

Post by summerstar » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:49 pm

the infamous alan shore....
Last edited by summerstar on Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:57 pm

summerstar wrote:the infamous alan shore....

my stats are ridiculous:
came out of Vassar with a 3.2 ( honors student till my mother died my freshman year, then all hell broke loose, no "Boohoo's" please)
M.A. Providence College 3.8
waiting on my LSAT
2 kids I'm putting through college.
what were you scoring on practice tests?

2 kids! i commend you for taking on law school!

if you really cant afford to go full time then i'd take the full ride at suffolk. (i think they give full rides to PT? they are pretty generous with money so i think it goes to PT too). TLS hates on suffolk but its not so bad. well it could be bad if you are in the bottom half of the class or only want to do biglaw. but if you just want a nice career somewhere making okay money and practicing law i think it is fine. suffolk does have connections in boston esp in gov't. you just have to have realistic expectations.

you're gpa, while it isn't high is fine. you can write a compelling addendum. good luck!!

summerstar

Bronze

Post by summerstar » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:04 pm

163-168 on PT's

I've finished and sent all my apps: essay and diversity essay, addendum and resume.

Which is WHY, ahem, I have only 24 posts on TLS.

Going into International Human Rights Law. hellish field.

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:09 pm

summerstar wrote:163-168 on PT's

I've finished and sent all my apps: essay and diversity essay, addendum and resume.

yeah you'll definitely get full ride from suffolk.

well good luck to you!!!

summerstar

Bronze

Post by summerstar » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:16 pm

I'd take BU in a heartbeat, but we'll see...
thanks all!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

summerstar

Bronze

Post by summerstar » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:21 pm

p.s. cool pics Doritos...

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:11 pm

THANK YOU!!!

i craft clever posts complete with cool pics I find on google images to make you smile. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

summerstar

Bronze

Post by summerstar » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:16 pm

and, you know, you did. I did smile and I was going to post a pic of my white Eclipse GT to show you what I'm rocking, but couldn't get it down!

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:21 pm

reasonable_man wrote:You just put a mint 1967 Mustang cobra GT500 next to a 1989 honda civic with a rusted frame, running on 3-cylinders, with no power windows or doorlocks next to each other and asked; which is better?
If there are quotes contrary to this, they are fallacious. That is all.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:12 pm

Last edited by Doritos on Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:16 pm

summerstar wrote:163-168 on PT's

This makes a big difference - if you really want to go into that field of law, you need to have a strong name on your resume. If you want to work at any ol' firm and do any ol' field of law, then Suffolk would be perfectly fine. If you want to go the international route, you have to have at least BU/BC (I would personally go with BU over BC in terms of international prestige, but I'm biased...)

The other option (and I know you're not supposed to go in with this in mind BUT) you could try Suffolk for a year and then transfer. That would save you a little money. You'd have to finish 1L at the top of your class, though, of course.

summerstar

Bronze

Post by summerstar » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:27 pm

"fallatious" ....hm...

and I'll say no more.

summerstar

Bronze

Post by summerstar » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:40 pm

thanks, Kiersten!

have you heard yet from any of your choices?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SeanB

New

Post by SeanB » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:44 pm

First post.

This is good topic for me. I live in the Boston area, I'm making a career change (leaving teaching). I have a wife and a mortgage, so I'm not leaving Boston. I have a shot at BC and BU. Northeastern is probably a lock. Suffolk is safety. But money, money, money.....I know plenty of very well paid Boston attorneys from Suffolk. I also know a number of people in established local firms from BC. If it matters, I will be 41 when I graduate.

I know somebody already posted that they would pay sticker for BC/BU over a full ride from Suffolk. Any other opinions?

tram988

Silver

Post by tram988 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:49 pm

SeanB wrote:First post.

This is good topic for me. I live in the Boston area, I'm making a career change (leaving teaching). I have a wife and a mortgage, so I'm not leaving Boston. I have a shot at BC and BU. Northeastern is probably a lock. Suffolk is safety. But money, money, money.....I know plenty of very well paid Boston attorneys from Suffolk. I also know a number of people in established local firms from BC. If it matters, I will be 41 when I graduate.

I know somebody already posted that they would pay sticker for BC/BU over a full ride from Suffolk. Any other opinions?
I would absolutely take BC/BU over Suffolk any day, even sticker.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:02 pm

If I could get into BU/BC I'd go at sticker.

I'm in Northeastern with no money.

I am hoping for something close to a full-ride - unless I get a reach (not happening), it's the only way I'm moving to Boston.

summerstar

Bronze

Post by summerstar » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:09 am

still waiting to hear from Suffolk, and I hear they're out of money for schollys. so. just to update. went complete mid-jan..guess Ms. Ellis is just giving a lot of thought to my app!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GobiasIndustries

Bronze

Post by GobiasIndustries » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:54 am

BC/BU > NEU/Suffolk > NESL, in my opinion.

The Northeastern/Suffolk area is probably where there's the most variability, because people's preferences and financial goals could easily make one a clear winner over the other. If you want to go into PI, go to Northeastern without question. If you're looking more to break into BigLaw/larger private firm stuff, you might actually want to consider Suffolk instead. They have a good alumni network in Boston in those types of firms (or so I hear).

In my situation, I probably would have taken Suffolk over Northeastern (they offered me over twice as much $$). But like I said, I think it totally depends on your goals and cost/benefit analysis.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”