Law school with largest amount of gay students Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tintin

Silver

Re: Law school with largest amount of gay students

Post by tintin » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:34 pm

do the gays in law schools tend to group together? i ask because there is definitely a (few) gay cliques at my UG, but law schools are so much smaller....anyone noticed this?

Shadyb

New

Post by Shadyb » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:53 pm

I don't know about the Cornell Law School specifically, but Ithaca is very gay-friendly and Cornell has an active LGBT organization. A few years ago Ithaca was ranked the best city for gay couples (aka to live without discrimination, obviously bigger cities are better for meeting a partner). Ithaca has dedicated clubs and events as well.

HLS has an active LGBT organization (Lamba) as you would expect, given the size...

j2d3

New

Post by j2d3 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:02 am

Hottest gays are at UCLA.

tumbleweed664

New

Post by tumbleweed664 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:31 am

Based on my research, which involved looking at websites and e-mailing students and teachers (and thus is hardly objective), the general consensus seemed to be that the easiest top schools to be LGBT at are NYU, Penn, Michigan, and Boalt, and the most difficult are Chicago, UVA, and Duke. By "easiest," I mean those schools had a combination of having larger communities, more allies, and more groups to support LGBT students. All these things create an environment where you don't feel as much like the "other" or an ambassador or someone who has to fight for acceptance, a feeling that sucks to have for three years. And yes, it is nice to have more than like six people to potentially be involved with.

I will qualify this by saying that none of the conservative schools I mentioned seemed unfriendly. When I visited UVA, I definitely asked people about the gay environment, etc., and no one was uncomfortable. But no one really knew much about the gay community, and some weren't sure one truly existed.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:44 am

Figured I'd toss this random 6:45 thought into the hat.

If you're going to any half-decent law school, 99.9% of the people there probably will not care about people's gayness.
If you're looking for some sort of tiebreaker to decide between a law schools based on your dating life...then...well...don't do that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

New

Post by 1848 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:15 am

Cornell Law has 15 openly gay people in its class of 2012. Pretty large percentage considering they only have 190 people a class.

Vanderbilt Law, in case anyone is curious, has 4 openly gay students in the entire school.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:16 am

myrockyourrock911 wrote:Anybody have any input on Cornell and Michigan in this regard?
Michigan has a large and active LGBT student group (Outlaws), and beyond that, I'd say that the gay students are very well socially integrated in the student body as a whole. Some of my closest law school friends are gay, and I've never heard of them feeling anything but welcome and accepted. That said, they definitely feel the need to branch out of the law school crowd to find people they're interested in dating! But the university community as a whole (and the town, really) are also gay-friendly.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:29 am

...they call themselves the Outlaws?

Social cliques with names. God do I hate the state of Michigan

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:57 am

OutLaw is just the name of the Gay Law Students association on campus, like Lambda at other schools. It's not like they named their clique or anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:00 am

biv0ns wrote:...they call themselves the Outlaws?

Social cliques with names. God do I hate the state of Michigan
It's not a clique, it's an official student group. No different than BLSA, LLSA, etc.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:03 pm

Not ND or BC.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:16 pm

linquest wrote:Northeastern--we even got a flyer in our admissions packet proclaiming itself the "gayest law school in the country." We have LGBT groups, classes, the annual "Gay/Lesbian/Bi-Sexual Graduates Network" list, and many openly out faculty/staff.
Book
Did you even read that article you linked?
Unanimously, all of students believe that homophobia is a serious problem on the campus. Eighty percent of those responding report being the victims of hate mail, verbal abuse, harassment, and vandalism.
Sounds like a nice place for gay people.

j2d3

New

Post by j2d3 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:17 pm

Does anyone else think it's weird how op said "amount" instead of number or percentage? Its like gays are a liquid or a powder measured by weight or volume rather than individuals that can be counted.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:21 pm

j2d3 wrote:Does anyone else think it's weird how op said "amount" instead of number or percentage? Its like gays are a liquid or a powder measured by weight or volume rather than individuals that can be counted.
There are approximately 3.2 tons of gays at X Law School.

Mr. Pablo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Pablo » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:24 pm

j2d3 wrote:Does anyone else think it's weird how op said "amount" instead of number or percentage? Its like gays are a liquid or a powder measured by weight or volume rather than individuals that can be counted.
A mole of homos? Avogaydro's number? Ah... bad chemistry humor....

/ ,/-,/hallelujah! its raining men...'/-'/ /

j2d3

New

Post by j2d3 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:25 pm

I heard nu has two scoops of gays in every class. I might be mixing up the law school with the business school. (O I hope someone gets my funny!)

Mr. Pablo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Pablo » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:48 pm

j2d3 wrote:I heard nu has two scoops of gays in every class. I might be mixing up the law school with the business school. (O I hope someone gets my funny!)
I got the raisin bran thing, but I am not so sure about the B-school reference.

also, who is that guy in your picture? He looks like some WWII kid soldier.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:52 pm

Liberty and Regent.

j2d3

New

Post by j2d3 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:23 pm

Mr. Pablo wrote:
j2d3 wrote:I heard nu has two scoops of gays in every class. I might be mixing up the law school with the business school. (O I hope someone gets my funny!)
I got the raisin bran thing, but I am not so sure about the B-school reference.

also, who is that guy in your picture? He looks like some WWII kid soldier.
Yes, the b-school thing is cause NU's b-school is the Kellogg School of Management ;)

My 'tar - I'll give you a hint via a quote:

""Litigation takes the place of sex at middle age."

Mr. Pablo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Pablo » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:33 pm

hehe. The Kellog thing is good.

That is Gore Vidal? Really? Man, old age really does something to you.

/I cheated with google.

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:34 pm

For all the people asking about Cornell Law School, there is a relatively large gay population considering the small class size..

In my section alone, of about 35, there are 5 gay people.. and there are many others in other sections as well..

Add those to the ones in upper classes, and there is a decent population.. but you have to keep in mind how small the class size is.. (approx 200) .. so, if you want numbers, Cornell probably isn't the best choice.. but it is definitely a destination for a fair amount, and if you think about it, because of the small class size, you actually get to meet and know all of them..

so, whatever you're looking for..

plus, Ithaca is a very liberal area surrounded by a lot of conservative areas.. so there is definitely a good amount in the town outside the law school as well..

hth

ETA: forgot to mention: one of the most active clubs is LAMBDA, they have events all the time, and we have gay faculty..etc..
Last edited by panda on Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

j2d3

New

Post by j2d3 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:36 pm

panda wrote:For all the people asking about Cornell Law School, there is a relatively large gay population considering the small class size..
hot gay guys?

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:38 pm

i mean.. as a straight female.. i def. wished some of them weren't gay.. one especially.. hmm..

so, yes. not all of them. but yes.

j2d3

New

Post by j2d3 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:45 pm

panda wrote:i mean.. as a straight female.. i def. wished some of them weren't gay.. one especially.. hmm..

so, yes. not all of them. but yes.
Nice - that's what one would hope / expect. Gays are generally hotter but certainly that's not a rule when you are taking only a small and non-representative sample size as in law school. I don't want to be stuck at a school with five little debbie downer gays. (you like that triple entendre?)

I'm hoping to win a few new guys over to the team, in fact, so hot, questionable, curious, pliable, 3 beer queers are definitely good to have around, too. In my experience, these are everywhere. I bet there's a lot of delicious ones like this at UVA and Duke.

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:22 pm

people who read threads just to flame them are obnoxious. this is a legitimate question - for those of us GLBT-identified who happen to go to either a conservative UG or really small UG in a semi-rural area, a robust gay population might be more important than to others... such as straight people. however, i will say the op might be asking the wrong question; j2d3 might be asking the right question: "any hot gay guys?" haha
j2d3 wrote:
panda wrote:For all the people asking about Cornell Law School, there is a relatively large gay population considering the small class size..
hot gay guys?
when i visited a couple law schools this past summer, i def. found that some schools just had massive concentration of ugly law students, and other schools with better looking peeps. UCLA, Penn, and Michigan had some hot guys. Some other schools in northern NY - not so much.
1848 wrote:Cornell Law has 15 openly gay people in its class of 2012. Pretty large percentage considering they only have 190 people a class.

Vanderbilt Law, in case anyone is curious, has 4 openly gay students in the entire school.
Vandy might only have 4 out kids, but my friend at ND tried to lure me to apply there by telling me about the one open flamer out of his entire entering class. =/

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”