How much does the University of Wisconsin suck? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hithere

Bronze

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Post by hithere » Thu May 21, 2009 1:35 am

A'nold wrote:Actually, bedbath didn't say anything offensive IMO, just saying a certain city sucks. Lots of cities suck: L.A., Miami, New Orleans, Cleveland, Memphis, etc. but I'm sure there are people who would disagree with me on that. I was just talking with a dude the other day that is from Detroit and actually likes the area.

I can't speak for the rest of Detroit, but their airport is surprisingly really nice and very state of the art compared with other big cities.

dickfitzwell

New

Post by dickfitzwell » Thu May 21, 2009 2:23 am

Last edited by dickfitzwell on Fri May 22, 2009 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Thu May 21, 2009 2:29 am

dickfitzwell wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:
dickfitzwell wrote:If you attend coolkatz321 will make love to you and UW simultaneously, so you have the added benefit of a 3 way.

UW does not suck btw.....
:roll:

You really put the "dick" in your name. Maybe there's a reason they haven't accepted you.

coolkatz take a joke.........
Normally I consider myself pretty sarcastic, but after the other comment where you went after my LSAT score...yeah, I found it annoying.

dickfitzwell

New

Post by dickfitzwell » Thu May 21, 2009 2:30 am

Last edited by dickfitzwell on Fri May 22, 2009 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Thu May 21, 2009 2:42 pm

Coolkatz got a 157?

Edit: Didn't mean to ask and sound like an asshole. I just thought I remembered you saying your UW waitlist was YP but you really wanted to go there and were just waiting for them to respond.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu May 21, 2009 3:16 pm

To anyone that claims Madison sucks - pox on your house. That is all.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Thu May 21, 2009 3:20 pm

A decent school, but not as good as IU Bloomington.

BobDole34

New

Post by BobDole34 » Thu May 21, 2009 4:57 pm

based on what? a sudden bump in the US News rankings? Last year when I started this search not a single person suggested Indiana over Madison. Starting this month, there's some prestige gap.

They're two strong regional schools where 75% of the class has no shot at biglaw, major feeders into middle-markets (mil, indy), and a strong desire by many students to get into Chicago. Don't even bother citing NYC and DC placement; that's 1/10 students, at best.

hithere

Bronze

Post by hithere » Thu May 21, 2009 5:03 pm

For what it's worth, the student population at IUB is objectively better (at least, numbers wise) than Wisconsin:

http://indiana.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

http://wisconsin.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Thu May 21, 2009 5:07 pm

BobDole34 wrote:based on what? a sudden bump in the US News rankings? Last year when I started this search not a single person suggested Indiana over Madison. Starting this month, there's some prestige gap.

They're two strong regional schools where 75% of the class has no shot at biglaw, major feeders into middle-markets (mil, indy), and a strong desire by many students to get into Chicago. Don't even bother citing NYC and DC placement; that's 1/10 students, at best.
Based on me being a IU alum.

BobDole34

New

Post by BobDole34 » Thu May 21, 2009 5:09 pm

gotta love the 164 wall where 3.9/163s get waitlisted but a 3.1/164 gets in

that said, an extra LSAT point or slight increase at the median means what? attend brooklyn law school because it has a 162-166 LSAT split?

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Thu May 21, 2009 5:37 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:Coolkatz got a 157?

Edit: Didn't mean to ask and sound like an asshole. I just thought I remembered you saying your UW waitlist was YP but you really wanted to go there and were just waiting for them to respond.
Nah, I never said mine was YP. I actually said my waitlist was a mystery and that I thought I'd be rejected...basically, I thought I had a very, very slim chance of getting off the WL. I got lucky, though, and couldn't be happier.

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Thu May 21, 2009 5:45 pm

UW is a great school, and if you want to work in Madison, or Milwaukee, and to a lesser extent throughout the midwest, it is a great option. Great opportunities having a court that handles a TON of patent litigations within it (in fact, my client has a trial coming up there in a couple of weeks). Foley & Lardner, as the OP had mentioned, is based in wisconsin, and does a ton of said patent litigations, good firm, we use them as co-counsel often.

If I could tolerate the cold after my 3 years in Buffalo, I would have stayed on the waitlist... UW is a great school, and I've heard madison is beautiful and a great place to spend 3 years, an awesome college town. But, I opted for a slightly warmer climate.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sawwaverunner

Bronze

Post by sawwaverunner » Thu May 21, 2009 5:46 pm

dickfitzwell wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:
dickfitzwell wrote:If you attend coolkatz321 will make love to you and UW simultaneously, so you have the added benefit of a 3 way.

You really put the "dick" in your name. Maybe there's a reason they haven't accepted you.

Unless you actually know Coolkatz in real life--as opposed to through an internet forum--that is a really weird thing to say. I don't even recall seeing him on this thread before you made the comment.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu May 21, 2009 5:55 pm

dickfitzwell wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:

He has proven incapable of this many, many times.

anthonyc350

Bronze

Post by anthonyc350 » Thu May 21, 2009 5:57 pm

lol madison sucks

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Thu May 21, 2009 6:03 pm

To the OP:

At rowing? Not at all!

--ImageRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Thu May 21, 2009 6:05 pm

A'nold wrote: He has proven incapable of this many, many times.
Jesus Christ A'nold. Jesus Christ...Christ, Jesus.

My remark was aimed at a comment he made in the Madison decisions thread. And yes, it was a dick comment.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Thu May 21, 2009 7:58 pm

bedbathandbeheadings wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:
bedbathandbeheadings wrote:Madison is an overrated shithole. You will be bored to death if you go to Wisconsin (not to mention frozen in the winter and bug-bitten when the lake thaws out). But, if you enjoy being harassed by homeless asking for change, then you would feel right at home walking down State Street in Madison.
Yes, we know they rejected you, but enough is enough. Stop your incessant bitching.
I didn't even apply there and wouldn't ever apply there (unless they moved to SoCal, DC, or NYC). I call it like I see it--you can honestly say you would rather be in Madison than NYC? DC? LA? Yeah...right.
Ok. I wasn't planning on posting, but I can't believe someone is actually dogging Madison. I've lived in three big ten college towns, none of which is Madison, and I can say without a doubt that I enjoyed visiting Madison far better than any of the ones that lived in (AA, EL and Bloomington). Madison is tops for college towns, especially since it actually is a fairly decent city in own right.

And for whats its worth, I absolutely hate LA and am not too fond of DC. You just seem to want to be an 'important' city, which isn't necessarily high on most, or even a few, peoples lists. There is definitely an equal, if not larger, population that absolutely loves living in a college towns and benefiting from the culture, energy and intelligent population without all the negatives of larger cities. What do you think one of the big appeals of academia is?

Historically speaking, Wisconsin was always a well-reputed law school and probably the third best Big Ten law school. For that reason alone, it still carries a lot of weight with some older (hiring) partners. Its the same thing that goes for Michigan, but obviously not as extreme.

bedbathandbeheadings

New

Post by bedbathandbeheadings » Thu May 21, 2009 8:15 pm

danquayle wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:
bedbathandbeheadings wrote:Madison is an overrated shithole. You will be bored to death if you go to Wisconsin (not to mention frozen in the winter and bug-bitten when the lake thaws out). But, if you enjoy being harassed by homeless asking for change, then you would feel right at home walking down State Street in Madison.
Yes, we know they rejected you, but enough is enough. Stop your incessant bitching.
I didn't even apply there and wouldn't ever apply there (unless they moved to SoCal, DC, or NYC). I call it like I see it--you can honestly say you would rather be in Madison than NYC? DC? LA? Yeah...right.
Ok. I wasn't planning on posting, but I can't believe someone is actually dogging Madison. I've lived in three big ten college towns, none of which is Madison, and I can say without a doubt that I enjoyed visiting Madison far better than any of the ones that lived in (AA, EL and Bloomington). Madison is tops for college towns, especially since it actually is a fairly decent city in own right.

And for whats its worth, I absolutely hate LA and am not too fond of DC. You just seem to want to be an 'important' city, which isn't necessarily high on most, or even a few, peoples lists. There is definitely an equal, if not larger, population that absolutely loves living in a college towns and benefiting from the culture, energy and intelligent population without all the negatives of larger cities. What do you think one of the big appeals of academia is?

Historically speaking, Wisconsin was always a well-reputed law school and probably the third best Big Ten law school. For that reason alone, it still carries a lot of weight with some older (hiring) partners. Its the same thing that goes for Michigan, but obviously not as extreme.
As I said, I call it like I see it. I don't like being bored, so Madison is not for me. There are lots of great college towns that offer more amenities and have a wider variety of things to do than Madison. Let's take College Park, Maryland, for example. It's cleaner and more affluent than Madison and if you get bored, you can hop on the metro and go into downtown DC for a night on the town in a matter of minutes. Madison is out in the middle of nowhere. Sitting around a lake getting drunk is not my idea of a good time and Madison just does not offer many other options in terms of things to do. Just my .02.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Thu May 21, 2009 8:27 pm

As I said, I call it like I see it. I don't like being bored, so Madison is not for me. There are lots of great college towns that offer more amenities and have a wider variety of things to do than Madison. Let's take College Park, Maryland, for example. It's cleaner and more affluent than Madison and if you get bored, you can hop on the metro and go into downtown DC for a night on the town in a matter of minutes. Madison is out in the middle of nowhere. Sitting around a lake getting drunk is not my idea of a good time and Madison just does not offer many other options in terms of things to do. Just my .02.
You just officially outed yourself as a troll. College Park, MD is a shithole that's been crime-ridden for ages, and I'm pretty sure most people will back me up here. Time for you to take your Wisconsin rejection and leave, troll.

I'm also [not] surprised at your ignorance. Anyone who has half a brain could easily find something to do in Madison. Yeah, it's a college town but it has theater, art and plenty of culture. Cya.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu May 21, 2009 8:35 pm

Okay, let me chime in once more - Madison haters, suck it.

Whoever doesn't find something to love about Madison is 1) alcohol hater, 2) Halloween hater, 3) overall douche. Most likely, (s)he is a combination of all three. Either way, (s)he sucks.

Madison is awesome and I say that as someone who detested every little freaking bit of WI winter.

anthonyc350

Bronze

Post by anthonyc350 » Thu May 21, 2009 11:30 pm

Went to UG at uw-madison. its fun when you're immature and drinking all the time, once you grow up you realize there aren't many alternatives and its pertty much a dull place.

Plus there are only two seasons, harsh cold and construction time.

hi_im_josh

New

Post by hi_im_josh » Fri May 22, 2009 12:15 am

Wisc has got some good professors, so if you want a good letter of recommendation, that might be a selling point for the school. If you are not into getting drunk, though, Madison can become extremely boring extremely quick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1hHD5EG ... re=related

jcwilsn1

Bronze

Post by jcwilsn1 » Sun May 24, 2009 2:22 am

coolkatz321 wrote:
You just officially outed yourself as a troll. College Park, MD is a shithole that's been crime-ridden for ages, and I'm pretty sure most people will back me up here. Time for you to take your Wisconsin rejection and leave, troll.

I'm also [not] surprised at your ignorance. Anyone who has half a brain could easily find something to do in Madison. Yeah, it's a college town but it has theater, art and plenty of culture. Cya.
+1. College park is horrible! very bad area. I'm not a big drinker but I'm into outdoorsy stuff and Wisconsin is absolutely beautiful.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”