Florida Coastal? Stetson? FAMU? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ApplicantInWI

New

Florida Coastal? Stetson? FAMU?

Post by ApplicantInWI » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:51 am

The last time I was in FL I visited 3 colleges: Florida A&M, Stetson College of Law, and Florida Coastal.
All of these visits were after hours, no appointment walk arounds. The only school I had the opportunity to go in buildings at was Florida Coastal.

What is everyone's opinions of these schools? Particularly Coastal Law..

Any information/opinions would be great, thanks!

Anonymous0L

Re: Florida Coastal? Stetson? FAMU?

Post by Anonymous0L » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:53 am

ApplicantInWI wrote:The last time I was in FL I visited 3 colleges: Florida A&M, Stetson College of Law, and Florida Coastal.
All of these visits were after hours, no appointment walk arounds. The only school I had the opportunity to go in buildings at was Florida Coastal.

What is everyone's opinions of these schools? Particularly Coastal Law..

Any information/opinions would be great, thanks!
Stetson is obviously in a different league than those two.

HalfManHalfAmazing

New

Post by HalfManHalfAmazing » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:59 am

Stetson is nationally known for producing litigators.

I would guess that of the other two, only one will be accredited in 10 years (Assuming you consider FAMUs provisional accreditation accrediting).

Also, I had a friend that went to FAMU for one year. It's an HBCU, and their student body reflects that. You may or may not feel comfortable in that environment.

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:01 am

HalfManHalfAmazing wrote:Stetson is nationally known for producing litigators.

I would guess that of the other two, only one will be accredited in 10 years (Assuming you consider FAMUs provisional accreditation accrediting).

Also, I had a friend that went to FAMU for one year. It's an HBCU, and their student body reflects that. You may or may not feel comfortable in that environment.
Both FCLS and FAMU are provisionally accredited.

ApplicantInWI

New

Post by ApplicantInWI » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:21 pm

Jwatson wrote:
HalfManHalfAmazing wrote:Stetson is nationally known for producing litigators.

Both FCLS and FAMU are provisionally accredited.
What does provisional accreditation mean though? I know that they are watch 'more' than accredited schools by the ABA, but are still granted the same credit as fully accredited schools, for a period of time..

I am confused by this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

unfgolfer14

New

Post by unfgolfer14 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:52 pm

It means go to stetson.

JuryDueT1000

New

Post by JuryDueT1000 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:54 pm

unfgolfer14 wrote:It means go to stetson.
+1!!!!!!!!!!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:58 pm

I have heard from someone that transferred from Florida Coastal that it is the worst experience you could imagine. He said that groups of students would go into the library and threaten this one girl that studied a lot that they were going to "take her outside" if she didn't stop trying to outdo them. The guy then said that he had to study in private to avoid looking like he was trying to screw his fellow classmates over. I don't know if any of that was true but it was the story that guy told.

Also, I have heard numerous times that Florida Coastal is one of the top 3 worst law schools in the country and it is often talked about in the same breath as Cooley and I've heard that Cooley might actually be better.

I don't know about that FAMU school. I've heard Stetson is pretty good, as long as you go there with a scholly.

JuryDueT1000

New

Post by JuryDueT1000 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Don't believe everything you hear. While I'm sure Florida Coastal isn't a great law school, one man's experience with his section is hardly representative of the law school overall.

FAMU is a dump.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:05 pm

JuryDueT1000 wrote:Don't believe everything you hear. While I'm sure Florida Coastal isn't a great law school, one man's experience with his section is hardly representative of the law school overall.

FAMU is a dump.
Yeah, thus the "I don't know if it's true" ending statement......

JuryDueT1000

New

Post by JuryDueT1000 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:07 pm

A'nold wrote:
JuryDueT1000 wrote:Don't believe everything you hear. While I'm sure Florida Coastal isn't a great law school, one man's experience with his section is hardly representative of the law school overall.

FAMU is a dump.
Even if it was true, I'm sure that could happen at any school. Maybe they were joking and this guy just didn't catch on, or he just didn't have any friends...

loro-rojo

New

Post by loro-rojo » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:08 pm

I happen to run across someone last week who attended Florida Coastal Law, and told me that it was probably the worst law school in the nation. The faculty doesn't care for its students, and that the grading curve is extremely brutal. He told me that about half of the people who started as 1L dropped out by the time they were 2L.

In other words, go to Stetson.. FAMU is not any better.

ApplicantInWI

New

Post by ApplicantInWI » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:34 pm

loro-rojo wrote:I happen to run across someone last week who attended Florida Coastal Law, and told me that it was probably the worst law school in the nation. The faculty doesn't care for its students, and that the grading curve is extremely brutal. He told me that about half of the people who started as 1L dropped out by the time they were 2L.

Unfortunately, I do not have the numbers for Stetson..2.9 UGPA and a still to be scored LSAT..
Even if the LSAT is really high, the probability for that school is low for me. Unless they really banked work experience and have different PT standards, its not looking good.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:50 pm

ApplicantInWI wrote:
loro-rojo wrote:I happen to run across someone last week who attended Florida Coastal Law, and told me that it was probably the worst law school in the nation. The faculty doesn't care for its students, and that the grading curve is extremely brutal. He told me that about half of the people who started as 1L dropped out by the time they were 2L.

Unfortunately, I do not have the numbers for Stetson..2.9 UGPA and a still to be scored LSAT..
Even if the LSAT is really high, the probability for that school is low for me. Unless they really banked work experience and have different PT standards, its not looking good.
I'm pretty sure all schools have different (easier to meet) part time standards (because they don't affect ranking-though this may soon change). I wouldn't go to a school that isn't fully accredited no matter what. Try looking into schools in other areas if those are your only options. I know there are a few good T4's out there. Check out U of Detroit Mercy, i'd consider that the "Harvard" of Tier 4's and it's much better than some Tier 3's.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:03 pm

JuryDueT1000 wrote:
A'nold wrote:

FAMU is a dump.
Even if it was true, I'm sure that could happen at any school. Maybe they were joking and this guy just didn't catch on, or he just didn't have any friends...
Having heard what I have about the school and this guys comments on top of that I'm pretty sure this school sucks.

gpontoni

New

Post by gpontoni » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:54 pm

This will burn some TLS'ers, but I was admitted to Stetson, U Miami and FAMU and I'm choosing the 3rd option. I currently live in Orlando and own a home here, which is a big factor. However, I had the chance to visit all 3 and FAMU literally had the best facilities (courtrooms, classrooms etc.) Stetson was beautiful, and definitely had more charm if that's what you're looking for. However, I don't have a scholarship at any college, and the thought of graduating law school $150,000 in debt is just plain stupid. There are certain considerations when attending a less prestigous law school. FAMU will not have nearly the network established. It will be a "do it yourself" degree with respect to finding a job. You will have to network like crazy, and definitely graduate in the top 15-20%. However, in three years you just might find yourself debt free, and working right next to a Stetson grad who's still living in an Apt. :) Good luck all!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:01 pm

gpontoni wrote:This will burn some TLS'ers, but I was admitted to Stetson, U Miami and FAMU and I'm choosing the 3rd option. I currently live in Orlando and own a home here, which is a big factor. However, I had the chance to visit all 3 and FAMU literally had the best facilities (courtrooms, classrooms etc.) Stetson was beautiful, and definitely had more charm if that's what you're looking for. However, I don't have a scholarship at any college, and the thought of graduating law school $150,000 in debt is just plain stupid. There are certain considerations when attending a less prestigous law school. FAMU will not have nearly the network established. It will be a "do it yourself" degree with respect to finding a job. You will have to network like crazy, and definitely graduate in the top 15-20%. However, in three years you just might find yourself debt free, and working right next to a Stetson grad who's still living in an Apt. :) Good luck all!
I thought you said you got no money at any of the schools....

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:12 pm

you chose FAMU over Stetson and UM? Unless you have a family and have to live in Orlando, or huge money issues (you said you got nothing from all 3), I dont think there is any rationale for choosing FAMU.... IMO.

gpontoni

New

Post by gpontoni » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:39 pm

Well my circumstances are not as typical as most. I am married and currently own a home in Orlando (which I can't sell until the market recovers). I'm 27 and thinking of starting a family while in law school. I am also footing the entire law school bill myself i.e. no family help or anything. I currently have a very good network established in Orlando, and don't mind practicing in Orlando for 5 or so years. In regards to someone else's post, no I am not receiving grants from any of my colleges. However, I do have about 7K saved up for law school, and with my wife continuing to work, it will all but pay for FAMU's tuition. Definitely not the case at UM or Stetson. I had the chance to visit Stetson, and with the exception of the campus, I hated St. Pete and the surrounding area. Miami is a whole different ball of wax. If you don't speak spanish, which I do not, you are at a significant disadvantage practicing in S. Florida. Plus, at my age and in my positon, going 150K in debt is really not the rational decision to make. If I kick ass as a 1L at FAMU (which is not as competitive as Stetson or UM) I also stand the chance of being able to transfer to UF which would definitely be worth it. However, If I atleast graduate in the top 15% at FAMU and network with internships etc... I'm confident in my ability to land a job. Everyone's situation is different, and I know it's going to be a struggle for me. But trust me, the last thing you want in life is to be financially underwater. FAMU's cheap tuition affords me the ability to think about alternative career opportunities as well. If I decided to start my own business, teach, or open my own practice I will be financially able to do that. However the debt from private law schools more or less decides your immediate fate after graduation. It's just not for me.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:43 pm

gpontoni wrote:Well my circumstances are not as typical as most. I am married and currently own a home in Orlando (which I can't sell until the market recovers). I'm 27 and thinking of starting a family while in law school. I am also footing the entire law school bill myself i.e. no family help or anything. I currently have a very good network established in Orlando, and don't mind practicing in Orlando for 5 or so years. In regards to someone else's post, no I am not receiving grants from any of my colleges. However, I do have about 7K saved up for law school, and with my wife continuing to work, it will all but pay for FAMU's tuition. Definitely not the case at UM or Stetson. I had the chance to visit Stetson, and with the exception of the campus, I hated St. Pete and the surrounding area. Miami is a whole different ball of wax. If you don't speak spanish, which I do not, you are at a significant disadvantage practicing in S. Florida. Plus, at my age and in my positon, going 150K in debt is really not the rational decision to make. If I kick ass as a 1L at FAMU (which is not as competitive as Stetson or UM) I also stand the chance of being able to transfer to UF which would definitely be worth it. However, If I atleast graduate in the top 15% at FAMU and network with internships etc... I'm confident in my ability to land a job. Everyone's situation is different, and I know it's going to be a struggle for me. But trust me, the last thing you want in life is to be financially underwater. FAMU's cheap tuition affords me the ability to think about alternative career opportunities as well. If I decided to start my own business, teach, or open my own practice I will be financially able to do that. However the debt from private law schools more or less decides your immediate fate after graduation. It's just not for me.
Sounds like a hell of a gamble. Good luck to you.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:52 pm

Yea. You are making a huge gamble (that you will be in 15% out of 100%) and what is the payoff for this gamble? Another HUGE gamble - FAMU is all the way at the bottom of Florida's law school ladder. To me those are two huge gambles without big enough payoff....

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:57 pm

gpontoni wrote:This will burn some TLS'ers, but I was admitted to Stetson, U Miami and FAMU and I'm choosing the 3rd option.
FAMU is a joke among FL lawyers. A very unfunny joke. I offer this short wikipedia excerpt.
In May 2006, the ABA Accreditation Committee sent a letter to the institution listing several areas of concern, and gave FAMU instructions to bring the school into full compliance within three years, and they had to qualify for full accreditation within eight years.[3]

The school drew media attention because a state-conducted audit found that staff on the payroll were not performing any work for the school. The most controversial case involved Shirley Cunningham, Jr. who had represented a group of plaintiffs from Kentucky in suing the manufacturer of fen-phen, an anti-obesity drug known as that had been withdrawn from the market after it was connected to heart-valve problems. A settlement in 2001 settlement totaled $200 million, of which $107 million went to the lawyers. Cunningham then donated $1 million to establish an endowed chair at the FAMU law school.[3]

This donation brought a matching grant of $750,000 to the school, and Cunningham filled the chair with a $100,000 salary and $25,000 in benefits. A payroll audit in 2005 led to the firing of the dean, Percy Luney Jr., and the conclusion of Cunningham's position. The new interim dean, Castel Bryant, subsequently reported that Cunningham had not undertaken any work at the institution, despite the salary.[3][5] Cunningham was convicted and sentenced to 20 years imprisonment in response to his involvement in the taking of $94 million that would otherwise have gone to the victims of fen-phen.[6]

The ABA accreditation team returned to the FAMU campus in late October 2007 and found additional problems including a low bar pass rate, students who had filed lawsuits against the school for failing to follow its own procedures, and Clinical faculty carrying heaver teaching loads than the ABA recommends.[3]

In 2008 another scandal emerged when three employees were found to have been tampering with student records. Up to 90 students had paid the employees to change their grades, while others had paid to see their addresses altered in order to avoid hight fees.[3]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_A& ... ege_of_Law

Seriously, retake your LSAT until you can get into FSU or UF or get $$ from Miami. Top 15%-20% FAMU is still no guarantee of a legal job. You still have a great chance of not getting one, and probably won't ITE. FAMU is probably the least respected law school in FL because of its low standards and scandals. Even people below median at UF are suffering. At least when you graduate, can't get a legal job, and end up getting a job similar to your old one you won't have debt. Your FAMU degree is barely worth the paper it's printed on. This is not a good idea, but I still don't think any of this will dissuade you, so good luck I guess, you're really going to need it.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:34 pm

I would eat a shit sandwich before I went to FAMU.

thinkbig

Bronze

Post by thinkbig » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:39 pm

Stay away from Florida Coastal.

xanderdellus

Bronze

Post by xanderdellus » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:51 am

If your heart is set on FL and you can't pull the numbers for Statson, Wait a year, establish residency and go to FIU. Cheap and a good market in Miami.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”