Spouse of Law School Applicant Support Group Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JazzOne

Gold

Re: Spouse of Law School Applicant Support Group

Post by JazzOne » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:02 pm

faedra wrote:Hello, I'm new to this forum. My husband is in the process of applying to law school. It drives me crazy not knowing where we're going to be next year and whether I'll be able to find a job. Also, on top of everything else we're going to try for our first child next year. I know it's kind of crazy, but I'm older than my husband and I need to get on the baby track if I want to have a successful pregnancy. Any experiences or suggestions you'd like to share would be greatly appreciated.
Kids during law school? Talk to your husband about employment prospects first. Law school is hard enough without a newborn. If your husband is banking on top 10% or law review, he's going to need to treat studying like a full-time job. If you two are going into debt to pay for law school, make sure you have a plan to pay it back, and make sure you understand the state of the legal market right now.

austinite13

New

Post by austinite13 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:26 am

So my husband got into the law school where I want him to go, Lewis & Clark, now I just need to convince him to go. He is interested in environmental la and got a very nice scholarship to Vermont Law School but I just don't think I would like the rural nature of the Vermont as well as the COLD and am unsure about the schools for the kids.

I almost went to undergrad at Lewis & Clark (and regret that I did not) and absolutely LOVE Portland. Wish me luck. I think I should have a little say as to where we take the family...

TarheelHopeful

New

Post by TarheelHopeful » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:50 am

My boyfriend and I have been living together for almost 2.5 years now. (I'm the one applying to law school) Unfortunately, he has 1 more semester before he graduates and so we will have to live separately for those 5-6 months. (That is, unless I get into Carolina). He has been completely supportive of the whole situation and helps me look at rankings, programs, etc... He will follow me no matter where I go, but a bigger city is better for him since he will be practicing in computer/electrical engineering. I'm sure this is a little stressful for him, but it helps BIG TIME to have a supportive partner!!

narkizopoint

Bronze

Post by narkizopoint » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:17 am

JazzOne wrote:If your husband is banking on top 10% or law review, he's going to need to treat studying like a full-time job. If you two are going into debt to pay for law school, make sure you have a plan to pay it back, and make sure you understand the state of the legal market right now.
pay it back...?

Wigginator

New

Post by Wigginator » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:56 am

My boyfriend is hearing back from law schools now... I'd like to think I'm the supportive type, it all interests me and of course I want him to go to the best school for him, but usually I just feel helpless. It hasn't gotten to the worst yet because we haven't heard back from the schools he REALLY wants to get in to, but I generally don't know what to do to bring his spirits up. It tends to be alot of listening and little gifts of chocolate. :wink:

Also I've found I'm in the opposite boat of most SO's--I WANT to travel to law school with him and instead of him conjoling me to drop my life and come along I'm trying to convince him I'll be able to find work and deal with his crazy. I don't see it being as difficult as he does, but then again I'm probably more low-maintenance than he's dealt with before.

My advice is to those applying who have SO's: If they say they're in it for the long haul and want what's best for you, things'll probably work out eventually. Just remember to come up for air every so often, let yourself relax and enjoy someone not worked to death by law. If they're already complaining and you're not even officially enrolled yet, well, they probably won't be there in three years anyway. If you want law school, do what you gotta do and enjoy the wild ride. I can imagine a breakup when you move would be alot less messy than three weeks into hell.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lambad12

New

Post by Lambad12 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:56 pm

is there a support group for girlfriends of law students? My b'f is going into his 3rd year and none of my friends seem to understand how important it is for me to be support and not demanding of his time. Any words of encouragement would be appreciated!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:31 pm

narkizopoint wrote:
JazzOne wrote:If your husband is banking on top 10% or law review, he's going to need to treat studying like a full-time job. If you two are going into debt to pay for law school, make sure you have a plan to pay it back, and make sure you understand the state of the legal market right now.
pay it back...?
It = the debt

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”