GW versus Fordham Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
wheretogowhattodo

New

GW versus Fordham

Post by wheretogowhattodo » Mon May 22, 2006 1:01 pm

Is this really an option?
I have been reading through the forum, and everyone provides great advice. The discussion offered here is very useful. I have narrowed my choices down to either Fordham or GW. I am wait listed at NYU, and will attend there if the opportunity presents itself. Until then, I am quite lost on my decision about what to do; it varies from day to day. I am not sure what I want to pursue in law school, but areas that Interest me greatly are Constitutional law and International law.

I have visited both schools and must say that GW is a lot nicer than Fordham. However, New York is much livelier and to my liking than DC appears to be. I spent four months living in NY and love it. DC seemed so un-alive to me.

I would like to work in the New York/Connecticut area once I am finished with law school. I know everyone says to go to school where you plan on working. I am not sure if that applies in this case.

I find myself wishing that GW was in New York. If it was making the choice to go there would be easy. However, I feel like I am fooling myself by even considering Fordham because GW appears to be such a better school. On the surface the question would seem go I go the better school or the location I want. All things considered, how much better is GW than Fordham. (Keeping in mind my areas of interest as well as long term location goals)

Ken

Bronze

George Washington Law School - the better choice

Post by Ken » Tue May 23, 2006 1:35 am

When looking at schools that are regional in nature, such as Brooklyn Law School, then one should go to law school in the region in which they plan on working. However, when you have an opportunity to attend a nationall renowned law school, which George Washington Law School, then it not being where you want to practice law is fine as the prestige and connections are transferrable.

While I certainly respect Fordham Law School, it is in a different league than George Washington Law School. Fordham is a strong regional law school with some national recognition. George Washington Law School is known throughout the nation, particularly in D.C. and New York.

Given your interest in constitutional and international law, two of the strengths of George Washington Law School, your choice is even more clear.

While few places rival the Big Apple in terms of excitement and social opportunities, you can do this while practicing law (and can then afford the steep prices of NYC). D.C. offers quite a good social experience as well and those who I know that attended D.C. Law Schools had a great time.

Of course, if you do get in to NYU, go in a second.

Clearly, the decison should always be based upon personal criteria and goals and if in the end you prefer Fordham then make that choice. But your opportunities will be greater coming out of George Washington Law School.

srae

New

Post by srae » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:25 pm

I went to undergrad at GW and worked at the law school while I was there. It's a Top 20 and they know it. During the school year of 2002-2003, at least four GW law students got clerkships on the Supreme Court. Granted, GW isn't Harvard, but it's not a bad school. And DC is a fabulous city. I guess if you are a native New Yorker, it is hard to find a better city.

Also, if you are worried about that you should go to school in a city you want to work in, you shouldn't. The two major cities the GW law school advertises their students to are New York and DC. Of course, some students wanted to go to Boston too, and I don't think they had many problems getting/going back there.

GW career officials realize many of their students want to work in New York. As a former career office employee who compiles stats, I can tell you that if you do reasonably well at GW, you will be fine.

reasonable person

Bronze

Re: GW versus Fordham

Post by reasonable person » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:36 am

Fordham.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:41 am

That Ken post is awesome, amazing to see what TLS has become since it started

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:30 am

Ken is such a troll. Nationally renowned school. Hah! I hope you didn't listen to him, man.

thatsnotmyname

Bronze

Post by thatsnotmyname » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:42 am

It is interesting to see how people's perceptions of law schools and the law school admissions process has changed from 2006 to now. I think in 2006 the advice was always "just go to the best school you get into" and now scholarships are a huge factor due to the continued skyrocketing of tuition. Just acceptance to a T14 used to be seen as an amazing outcome guaranteeing BigLaw and financial security. Now only if you get into a T14 with the right scholarship package is it worth to get a pretty good chance at getting BigLaw, and even then people question whether applicants will last long enough in BigLaw to pay off the debt that they've accumulated even with scholarships. 2006 was such a happy time for law school applicants.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:55 am

reasonable person wrote:Fordham.
Dude, look at the time stamp on the OP. Don't necro old threads.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”