Rank the T25 -- Most liberal to most conservative Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kv05

New

Rank the T25 -- Most liberal to most conservative

Post by kv05 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:54 pm

Curious to see what you all think.

LucasHumble

New

Re: Rank the T25 -- Most liberal to most conservative

Post by LucasHumble » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:22 pm

I'll bite. This is just based on what I have heard/ geographical and cultural reputation.

1. Berkeley
2. UCLA
3. USC
4. NYU
5. Georgetown
6. Boston
7. Stanford
8. Columbia
9. Yale
10. George Washington
11. Washington and Lee
12. Penn
13. Harvard
14. Virginia
15. Cornell
16. Minnesota
17. WUSTL
18. Emory
19. Michigan
20. Chicago
21. Northwestern
22. Vanderbilt
23. Duke
24. Texas
25. Notre Dame

Anyone who wants to disagree, go for it.

badlydrawn

Bronze

Post by badlydrawn » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:24 pm

I heard W&L was rather conservative. Could just be the student pop., though.

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:25 pm

anyone who asks people to try and rank 25 schools based on this criterion is roughly as useful to society as those who will doubtless spend time responding

badlydrawn

Bronze

Post by badlydrawn » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:37 pm

neskerdoo wrote:anyone who asks people to try and rank 25 schools based on this criterion is roughly as useful to society as those who will doubtless spend time responding
I admit my own uselessness at the moment. Technically, your post is a response as well. So...

snark fail.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ancitter

New

Post by Ancitter » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:39 pm

All I know is that Texas is pretty liberal.

scott82

Bronze

Post by scott82 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:43 pm

Ancitter wrote:All I know is that Austin, Texas is pretty liberal.
Fixed.

SoxyPirate

Bronze

Post by SoxyPirate » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:55 pm

neskerdoo wrote:anyone who asks people to try and rank 25 schools based on this criterion is roughly as useful to society as those who will doubtless spend time responding
Why so serious?

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:57 pm

I don't think anyone has the information to be able to provide a ranking like this. It'd probably be more beneficial and reliable if people just stated what they thought were the more liberal/more conservative schools within the T25.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gargon

New

Post by Gargon » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:03 pm

Neskerdoo's Law

MYKONOS

New

Post by MYKONOS » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:04 pm

SoxyPirate wrote:
Why so serious?

LOL!

SoxyPirate

Bronze

Post by SoxyPirate » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:06 pm

MYKONOS wrote:
SoxyPirate wrote:
Why so serious?

LOL!
Damn YOU!!!! Now that I've seen your avatar I have to break out the Arrested Development DVD's and start from the beginning again! I'm not going to get anything done this weekend!

MYKONOS

New

Post by MYKONOS » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:12 pm

SoxyPirate wrote:
MYKONOS wrote:
SoxyPirate wrote:
Why so serious?

LOL!
Damn YOU!!!! Now that I've seen your avatar I have to break out the Arrested Development DVD's and start from the beginning again! I'm not going to get anything done this weekend!

Now that sounds like a well spent weekend to me :wink:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gannak

New

Post by gannak » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:35 pm

LucasHumble wrote:
1. Berkeley

it's that intense out there? worse than nyu? :|

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:08 pm

LucasHumble wrote:I'll bite. This is just based on what I have heard/ geographical and cultural reputation.

1. Berkeley
2. UCLA
3. USC
4. NYU
5. Georgetown
6. Boston
7. Stanford
8. Columbia
9. Yale
10. George Washington
11. Washington and Lee
12. Penn
13. Harvard
14. Virginia
15. Cornell
16. Minnesota
17. WUSTL
18. Emory
19. Michigan
20. Chicago
21. Northwestern
22. Vanderbilt
23. Duke
24. Texas
25. Notre Dame

Anyone who wants to disagree, go for it.
I know for a fact that Michigan should be much higher in this list. I went there for early undergrad and Ann Arbor in general is one of the most liberal towns around. The school has a hash bash every year on 4/20? I know of few student bodies more liberal than the one at U of M.
Last edited by rainmaker614 on Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:38 pm

LucasHumble wrote:
bizzlemywizzle wrote:No idea what NYU is like, but not at all that intense...I doubt Lucas has even stepped foot in Berkeley. (Read my response above.) I think this is a stupid and pointless thread since nobody can accurately gauge this without attending all the schools.
Wow, you would be right. Maybe you should read my original post: This is just based on what I have heard/ geographical and cultural reputation. :roll:

the problem is that you have heard no such thing

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:56 pm

I think she meant UT - Austin is pretty liberal, just as the city there is. My theory about the region is that the University's liberals have an effect on the surrounding area, turning Austin into a pool of blue. About a tenth of the city's residents are University students or staff when it's in session and town-gown relations are spectacular.

Conservatism in Texas is rather unique for the south, owing to the state's strong oil economy and nature as a boom town. Lots of entrepreneurs moved to Texas these past fifty years and made big money while mostly ignoring religion, ethics, and politics and they'll throw their lot in with any party that lowers their taxes. Compared to Texas, the economies of most conservative states is extremely weak and culture is much more important to their brand of conservatism than Texas.

Since academia is more or less divorced from the industrial economy, the University is more or less separated from the central pillar of Texas conservatism.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ancitter

New

Post by Ancitter » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:07 pm

Snooker wrote:I think she meant UT - Austin is pretty liberal, just as the city there is. My theory about the region is that the University's liberals have an effect on the surrounding area, turning Austin into a pool of blue. About a tenth of the city's residents are University students or staff when it's in session and town-gown relations are spectacular.

Conservatism in Texas is rather unique for the south, owing to the state's strong oil economy and nature as a boom town. Lots of entrepreneurs moved to Texas these past fifty years and made big money while mostly ignoring religion, ethics, and politics and they'll throw their lot in with any party that lowers their taxes. Compared to Texas, the economies of most conservative states is extremely weak and culture is much more important to their brand of conservatism than Texas.

Since academia is more or less divorced from the industrial economy, the University is more or less separated from the central pillar of Texas conservatism.
Mhmm. I meant UT.

countbizaller

Bronze

Post by countbizaller » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:27 am

Snooker wrote:Conservatism in Texas is rather unique for the south, owing to the state's strong oil economy and nature as a boom town. Lots of entrepreneurs moved to Texas these past fifty years and made big money while mostly ignoring religion, ethics, and politics and they'll throw their lot in with any party that lowers their taxes. Compared to Texas, the economies of most conservative states is extremely weak and culture is much more important to their brand of conservatism than Texas.
Wow. You've never been here.

Ancitter

New

Post by Ancitter » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:30 am

countbizaller wrote:
Snooker wrote:Conservatism in Texas is rather unique for the south, owing to the state's strong oil economy and nature as a boom town. Lots of entrepreneurs moved to Texas these past fifty years and made big money while mostly ignoring religion, ethics, and politics and they'll throw their lot in with any party that lowers their taxes. Compared to Texas, the economies of most conservative states is extremely weak and culture is much more important to their brand of conservatism than Texas.
Wow. You've never been here.
+1

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:31 am

I'd agree that Texas is less conservative than the rest of the south, if that's your point. And it's also booming in a way that attracts people from across the country, rather than scrounging by with the same old populace.

It's still way too conservative for me, but it's not Alabama.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Neko83

New

Post by Neko83 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:32 am

Snooker wrote:

Absolutely ridiculous. Texas is extremely culturally/socially conservative. Obviously, Austin is much less so.

ksimon2007

Silver

Post by ksimon2007 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:55 am

These conservative and liberal threads seem to be useless...I would venture to say that all noteworthy law schools like all higher education institutions are made up of majority liberal faculty (democrats) and liberal students (democrats) so in essence what you all are doing is a ranking of most to least liberal....whenever liberty university law school makes it to the top 30 I will give this notion of conservative v. liberal some validity...

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:37 am

USC should be one of the 5 most conservative, not one of the 5 most liberal.

ezpar

New

Post by ezpar » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:05 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:whenever liberty university law school makes it to the top 30
When is that going to happen?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”