Best Campus / Law Building? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
solidusardet

New

Re: Best Campus / Law Building?

Post by solidusardet » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:20 pm

showNprove wrote:
solidusardet wrote:That's really cool. I guess outside of the top 20, ND is king, huh?
I wouldn't go that far, but it's definitely up there.
If not ND, then who? Emory?

Lawyered

New

Post by Lawyered » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:23 pm

Last edited by Lawyered on Wed May 20, 2009 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:26 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Action Jackson

Bronze

Post by Action Jackson » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:00 pm

Cornell's is the most beautiful law school campus I've ever seen. It's a great place to go to school.

That said, if you count the Village as part of NYU's campus, then it's the best campus in America, no doubt.

Paul Ramone

New

Post by Paul Ramone » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:02 pm

I am surprised WUSTL has not been mentioned. The law school building is gorgeous

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vicsinad

New

Post by vicsinad » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:05 pm

Action Jackson wrote:Cornell's is the most beautiful law school campus I've ever seen. It's a great place to go to school.

That said, if you count the Village as part of NYU's campus, then it's the best campus in America, no doubt.
So I take it that means you haven't seen U of M's law campus? :lol:

solidusardet

New

Post by solidusardet » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:11 pm

Paul Ramone wrote:I am surprised WUSTL has not been mentioned. The law school building is gorgeous
Isn't WUSTL a top 15 UG school? One of the best in the nation?

crib

New

Post by crib » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:14 pm

I liked the Lewis and Clark campus a lot.

Cal4future

New

Post by Cal4future » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:15 pm

beauty / enjoyability / environment / etc is what I'm looking for. Obviously that is VERY subjective, but as you can see from my list my options are wide open.

Leaning towards ND for these reasons.

Academics
Campus
Campus Lifestyle
Sports
National Reputation
Ranking

However, I have to get in first. so....... Guess we'll see how that pans out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

joonix

New

Post by joonix » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:25 pm

I'm so glad we get to pay $40k/yr in tuition so our law schools can have gorgeous buildings.

Seriously... I'd go to law school in a shack if it was cheap enough (assuming the academics and job prospects remain the same). Maybe that's why I want to go to UH.

Cal4future

New

Post by Cal4future » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:28 pm

money -> buildings/campus -> desirability -> competition -> selectivity -> prestige -> jobs

not always true, but works in many cases, obviously very general (please don't flame!)

Action Jackson

Bronze

Post by Action Jackson » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:42 pm

vicsinad wrote:
Action Jackson wrote:Cornell's is the most beautiful law school campus I've ever seen. It's a great place to go to school.

So I take it that means you haven't seen U of M's law campus? :lol:
Depends on what the "M" stands for. :roll:

Cal4future

New

Post by Cal4future » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:53 pm

M is for Montana obviously

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kv05

New

Post by kv05 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:09 pm

The rest of ND's campus is gorgeous too, check it out (the desktop photos do it more justice than the construction sites for the new buildings):

http://nd.edu/campus-and-community/sights-sounds/

kv05

New

Post by kv05 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:11 pm

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:25 pm

If you can get in ND, then there is no better school (excluding T20, of course). Obviously, there are regional exceptions but I don't think any school outside of the T14 has as good of a reputation as ND. It is probably the most "national" of the outside T14 schools, IMO. Every lawyer I have ever talked to had nothing but good things to say about ND grads. Few schools can compete with its HUGE alumni network. The new law building is icing on the cake and the campus is absolutely gorgeous. Now if they would only take me off their wait-list...

Nevertheless, I'm from Michigan and had many opportunities to see the law quad at U of M (there is only one real U of M, f**k everything else). There is no campus in the world that competes with that. Period. Whether or not you're accepted or even if you're not a law student, everyone needs to see this place. I'm so god damn jealous of everyone that goes there lol.

hrvd214

New

Post by hrvd214 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:27 pm

villanova is opening up a brand new law building next fall which is supposedly going to be extremely nice, and the campus as a whole is already very nice...
also BU's law building is not very nice its old and dingy and hidden behind several other buildings

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AmicusCuriae

New

Post by AmicusCuriae » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:29 pm

kv05 wrote:Here's a shot of part of campus:

http://nd.edu/campus-and-community/sigh ... 80x960.jpg
I wanted to go to ND Law out of undergrad, but I didn't have the numbers so I never really looked into it. I never visited, but from the pictures it looks absolutely gorgeous.

While it's inside the top 20, Georgetown actually has a pretty nice law campus. The buildings aren't architectural wonders, but they're nice and relatively new. However, when you walk out the front of the main classroom building and look to the left, you've got a great view of the Capitol building (which is only about 5 blocks away).

ColtonDLong

New

Post by ColtonDLong » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:30 pm

cbarlet wrote:My thoughts (from what I know, which definitely isn't all 100 of them)

North Carolina, Washington and Lee, Wake Forest, William and Mary, and Georgia seem to have really nice Southern-colonial traditional-feeling campuses.

UConn Law has a terrific nice Gothic-styled campus. I'd use Gothic Wonderland if Duke didn't already own the title.

Santa Clara has a really attractive campus, similar to style and feel to Stanford. Spanish-mission style. Nice vibe.

Wisconsin, Ohio State, Indiana, & Iowa are known for their vibrant towns thanks to their UG populations.
UW Madison and Iowa's are pretty awesome. Minneapolis is a great city, so UMN is up there, but their building itself is too 70s fabulous.

lsatismybitchlover

New

Post by lsatismybitchlover » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:31 pm

To the OP: I really really hope that you're not willing to sacrifice academic quality for location/area to any extreme point. I.E.-Going to Kansas (arbitrary example I saw on the board) over BU because the buildings or w/e are nicer...

Globetrekker

New

Post by Globetrekker » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:39 pm

ColtonDLong wrote:
cbarlet wrote:My thoughts (from what I know, which definitely isn't all 100 of them)

North Carolina, Washington and Lee, Wake Forest, William and Mary, and Georgia seem to have really nice Southern-colonial traditional-feeling campuses.

UConn Law has a terrific nice Gothic-styled campus. I'd use Gothic Wonderland if Duke didn't already own the title.

Santa Clara has a really attractive campus, similar to style and feel to Stanford. Spanish-mission style. Nice vibe.

Wisconsin, Ohio State, Indiana, & Iowa are known for their vibrant towns thanks to their UG populations.
UW Madison and Iowa's are pretty awesome. Minneapolis is a great city, so UMN is up there, but their building itself is too 70s fabulous.
The more I read about UW Madison, the more I like it. Minneapolis is awesome, but the law school from my visit wasn't anything special...

Finally sent in an app to Iowa. It's a shock to me it's ranked so high, and I'd consider it. Don't know how I feel about Iowa in general...Colton, since you're the TLS poster child for Iowa in my mind, I'd love your thoughts.

Emmy, I totally agree on Michigan...I may be biased because of my UG stint there, and instantly fell in love with the campus (during orientation I found the law quad and joked with my friends that if anything would turn me off from getting an MBA and switching to law, it'd be that campus...turned out I'd rather by a lawyer anyway, but you can say it helped.) Problem? Ann Arbor is awesome, but Michigan as a whole is sort of turning into what my fellow wolverines tell me is the "giant abyss of America's recession," and the weather in Michigan leaves way too much to be desired. Tremendous campus, though.

EDITED to challenge anyone to find me a better law library than Michigan's...if there is one, I'd definitely like to see it.
Last edited by Globetrekker on Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

EmmyD

Bronze

Post by EmmyD » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:40 pm

but Michigan as a whole is sort of turning into what my fellow wolverines tell me is the "giant abyss of America's recession,"
How so?

Globetrekker

New

Post by Globetrekker » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:43 pm

EmmyD wrote:
but Michigan as a whole is sort of turning into what my fellow wolverines tell me is the "giant abyss of America's recession,"
How so?
UG sophomore (one of my best friends) told me that the whole state is just getting slammed by the economy, namely with the auto and manufacturing industries. She lives up in near Saginaw, but she said that Ann Arbor has become the shining gem of an otherwise "toxic rock pile." I've spent quite a bit of time in areas outside of AA, and I wouldn't say that... I've never spent a winter in AA though, so what I've seen of Michigan has actually been really beautiful, green, and warm. That campus though---getting accepted and turning it down, don't think I could do it.

basetommyball

New

Post by basetommyball » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:44 pm

Wow I'm surprised no one has mentioned SMU yet.

Has no one ever been to Dallas before? Beautiful city, beautiful campus. The university annually wins national landscaping competitions.

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

Globetrekker

New

Post by Globetrekker » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:44 pm

Lest we even mention Michigan football. (Not counting this season.)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”