Best Campus / Law Building? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Globetrekker

New

Re: Best Campus / Law Building?

Post by Globetrekker » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:45 pm

SMU looks NICE.

All I'll say on the subject is this: if only it weren't in Texas.

EmmyD

Bronze

Post by EmmyD » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:46 pm

Dallas also sucks hardcore.

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:46 pm

EmmyD wrote:
but Michigan as a whole is sort of turning into what my fellow wolverines tell me is the "giant abyss of America's recession,"
How so?

That doesn't really have any relevance if you're getting a JD from Michigan. Your opportunities will still be stellar and the top firms in the state are still thriving. Michigan's economy, in general, is shit. However, this is because much of Michigan having many blue collared workers. All the top firms that I know of still make as much money as ever and even the smaller firms I spoke with are doing great. Shit, I even spoke to a bankruptcy lawyer that went to Cooley a while ago and is now making 200k a year doing BS bankruptcy cases because of the recession. Plus, since when does a Michigan JD limit you to Michigan?
Last edited by rainmaker614 on Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Globetrekker

New

Post by Globetrekker » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:47 pm

EmmyD wrote:Dallas also sucks hardcore.
+1.

Second only to Houston.

EmmyD

Bronze

Post by EmmyD » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:49 pm

cbarlet wrote:
+1.

Second only to Houston.
Houston is better, but not by much at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Globetrekker

New

Post by Globetrekker » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:50 pm

rainmaker614 wrote:
EmmyD wrote:
but Michigan as a whole is sort of turning into what my fellow wolverines tell me is the "giant abyss of America's recession,"
How so?

That doesn't really have any relevance if you're getting a JD from Michigan. Your opportunities will still be stellar and the top firms in the state are still thriving. Michigan's economy, in general, is shit. However, this is because much of Michigan having many blue collared workers. All the top firms that I know of still make as much money as ever and even the smaller firms I spoke with are doing great. Shit, I even spoke to a bankruptcy lawyer that went to Cooley a while ago and is now making 200k a year doing BS bankruptcy cases because of the recession. Plus, since when does a Michigan JD limit you to Michigan?
Haha, I like to see it as a free ticket OUT of Michigan. And there's absolutely no relevance to Michigan Law, so I don't think I'd even blink at the economy when deciding whether to attend UofM for my JD. Aside from the weather, which itself is a lovely feature of the entire Midwest, there's nothing worth complaining about. To me, the only thing that's got me to pay attention is the strength of the degree in NYC versus DC. It seems a lot stronger in NYC, but I'm not too concerned I'd have a hard time getting a nice job in DC. I was a mere UG at Michigan---can you give me more insight?

Globetrekker

New

Post by Globetrekker » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:52 pm

EmmyD wrote:
cbarlet wrote:
+1.

Second only to Houston.
At any rate, U Houston's campus is a huge turnoff. "The library floods consistently." <-- Nice.

solidusardet

New

Post by solidusardet » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:53 pm

I heard it has a good legal market. What does it suck?

EmmyD

Bronze

Post by EmmyD » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:53 pm

cbarlet wrote:
EmmyD wrote:
cbarlet wrote:
+1.

Second only to Houston.
At any rate, U Houston's campus is a huge turnoff. "The library floods consistently." <-- Nice.
Rice is lovely, at least.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tvaddicted

Bronze

Post by tvaddicted » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:56 pm

betasteve wrote:
EmmyD wrote:
cbarlet wrote:
+1.

Second only to Houston.
No way... Yeah, Dallas is more spread out - but Houston is just a dirty town. All the refinery nonsense in the air, and traffic is (slightly) worse, but only recently.

+1

Dallas is a nicer city than Houston imo (has more natural beauty, better food, cleaner), but Houston is much more diverse. Some parts of Dallas can be pretty high-nosed.

Globetrekker

New

Post by Globetrekker » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:56 pm

EmmyD wrote:
Incredible shame they haven't instituted a JD program; I'd consider it seriously if they did. Despite its shortcomings and unfortunate association with Texas, Houston has an undeniably prominent legal market with good money and a low cost of living. Ah well.

EmmyD

Bronze

Post by EmmyD » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:57 pm

cbarlet wrote:
EmmyD wrote:
Incredible shame they haven't instituted a JD program; I'd consider it seriously if they did. Despite its shortcomings and unfortunate association with Texas, Houston has an undeniably prominent legal market with good money and a low cost of living. Ah well.
Rice is very much like Princeton in that regard.

tvaddicted

Bronze

Post by tvaddicted » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:59 pm

cbarlet wrote:
EmmyD wrote:
My feelings exactly....If only you could have Houston's legal market and low cost of living on the West Coast......

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Globetrekker

New

Post by Globetrekker » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:01 pm

tvaddicted wrote:
cbarlet wrote:
EmmyD wrote:
My feelings exactly....If only you could have Houston's legal market and low cost of living on the West Coast......
I've fallen in love with the Mid-Atlantic, and though not Texas standards dirt-cheap (quite literally), the COL is decent.

Globetrekker

New

Post by Globetrekker » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:04 pm

EmmyD wrote:
cbarlet wrote:
EmmyD wrote:
Rice is very much like Princeton in that regard.
Always struck me interesting that so many schools lack them, namely all those snooty schools on the East Coast - Brown, Dartmouth, Swarthmore, Princeton... Then there's Rice, Purdue could use a law school... I'd love to see Princeton open one, just to see what would happen.

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:06 pm

so many ttt's, so many firm lay-offs, and they want MORE law schools? wtf?

Globetrekker

New

Post by Globetrekker » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:11 pm

doyleoil wrote:so many ttt's, so many firm lay-offs, and they want MORE law schools? wtf?
Look at the scope of the whole picture from a broader perspective. I doubt any law school started by Princeton, Brown, Dartmouth, Rice, Purdue, really any of them would contribute to this problem. It's safe to say every one of those schools would likely be a T1 school... it's the glutton of T3/T4 schools that are toying with prospective students and promising them a reality that, in reality, is not really going to happen for most people outside of T1 and top of T2...really.

We also are enjoying a pretty strong recession right now. Every market is going to feel it, and I'd say the "over-saturation" of the market people claim is causing the problem can actually be traced to the cyclical movements of the economy. Not to mention, when it comes to advanced degrees, the JD and MD are definitely not a dime a dozen compared to, oh, say, the MBA.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:15 pm

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

Cal4future

New

Post by Cal4future » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:29 pm

very pretty.. where is it?

Globetrekker

New

Post by Globetrekker » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:29 pm

There are many beautiful campuses, but none have views quite like this:

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:32 pm

Cal4future wrote:very pretty.. where is it?

stetson university in gulfport, florida (tied at 100 on rankings)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:53 pm

cbarlet wrote:
Look at the scope of the whole picture from a broader perspective. I doubt any law school started by Princeton, Brown, Dartmouth, Rice, Purdue, really any of them would contribute to this problem. It's safe to say every one of those schools would likely be a T1 school... it's the glutton of T3/T4 schools that are toying with prospective students and promising them a reality that, in reality, is not really going to happen for most people outside of T1 and top of T2...really.
But if one of those schools starts a law school, let's say it debuts in Tier 1, that moves some other school down to Tier 3. There are now more tier three schools, and more students going to law school, so it's still adding to the overabundance of lawyers.

Globetrekker

New

Post by Globetrekker » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:03 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
cbarlet wrote:
But if one of those schools starts a law school, let's say it debuts in Tier 1, that moves some other school down to Tier 3. There are now more tier three schools, and more students going to law school, so it's still adding to the overabundance of lawyers.
Again, from an economic standpoint, an "overabundance" is probably stretching it. Even during times of unemployment, lawyers tend to fair better than many other industries, and the surge of law school applications in those times correlates with that. There's an obvious reason why people decide to go back for more school during weak economies, and that is to try to increase their marketibility, but there is also a reason why many of these people choose law school over programs. Point being, "overabundance" in general is probably a bit dramatic. A perhaps disconcerting number of lawyers coming from less-reputable schools with fewer resources to compete with the bigger guys? Absolutely, and that's where the surplus comes from. Said simply, the surplus of lawyers is a symptom that stems more from the economic cycle than it does an overpopulated law school system. To test that, reference times of good economy, and it seems far less relevant.

However, you're right, a better school pushes a lesser school down. The schools I'm talking about are not the 3-5 schools that might get pushed down to the top of Tier 3. I'm talking about the bottom of Tier 4. Unknown, independent, random schools often started by people who really make you stop and think about why the school was even opened. Though I'm sure many successful and intelligent students come out of them, I wouldn't be terribly offended or shocked if some of the "lowest" schools discontinued their programs. At already is, but especially in a recession, competition is fierce.

ColtonDLong

New

Post by ColtonDLong » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:29 pm

cbarlet wrote:
ColtonDLong wrote:
cbarlet wrote:My thoughts (from what I know, which definitely isn't all 100 of them)

North Carolina, Washington and Lee, Wake Forest, William and Mary, and Georgia seem to have really nice Southern-colonial traditional-feeling campuses.

UConn Law has a terrific nice Gothic-styled campus. I'd use Gothic Wonderland if Duke didn't already own the title.

Santa Clara has a really attractive campus, similar to style and feel to Stanford. Spanish-mission style. Nice vibe.

Wisconsin, Ohio State, Indiana, & Iowa are known for their vibrant towns thanks to their UG populations.
UW Madison and Iowa's are pretty awesome. Minneapolis is a great city, so UMN is up there, but their building itself is too 70s fabulous.
The more I read about UW Madison, the more I like it. Minneapolis is awesome, but the law school from my visit wasn't anything special...

Finally sent in an app to Iowa. It's a shock to me it's ranked so high, and I'd consider it. Don't know how I feel about Iowa in general...Colton, since you're the TLS poster child for Iowa in my mind, I'd love your thoughts.

Emmy, I totally agree on Michigan...I may be biased because of my UG stint there, and instantly fell in love with the campus (during orientation I found the law quad and joked with my friends that if anything would turn me off from getting an MBA and switching to law, it'd be that campus...turned out I'd rather by a lawyer anyway, but you can say it helped.) Problem? Ann Arbor is awesome, but Michigan as a whole is sort of turning into what my fellow wolverines tell me is the "giant abyss of America's recession," and the weather in Michigan leaves way too much to be desired. Tremendous campus, though.

EDITED to challenge anyone to find me a better law library than Michigan's...if there is one, I'd definitely like to see it.
Hmm...I'm not sure why you're so shocked it is ranked so high. Its probably the second (in name only I mean) recognized Big 10 school I feel like. Iowa City is consistently among the top 15 or so most livable and best towns in the US, and the culture and night life is good. For the record Iowa city is also the third most educated town in the nation (according to USNWR). I was disappointed when I visited only because I drove four hours for a 25 minute tour. U of Mn's and Wisonsin's were longer, but especially at minnesota they seemed VERY highfaluting and unjustifiably so. Don't get me wrong, I think they have a lot going for themselves, but the atmosphere and air about the place was really pompous to me. All of my friends, one is a current student of the school, agrees. Anyway, my goals wasn't to put down U of Mn...like I said I really did like the school.

Point being, it shouldn't surprise you that they're ranked higher than Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio, or the other Big 10 schools aside from Mich. and Mn. I visited almost all of them but Ohio, and I have to say that as far as the classes I sat in on and the professors I met, atmosphere, and students I met, Iowa won.

After rereading this I realized I didn't clarify that I'm targeting a lot of the to CBarlet more about Iowa's college town and atmosphere, but it is true that educational quality at Iowa is well known for its reputability although they've lost a few noteable profs in the past couple of years to retirement, etc.
Last edited by ColtonDLong on Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chris888777

New

Post by chris888777 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:29 pm

more pictures!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”