Best Campus / Law Building? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Cal4future

New

Re: Best Campus / Law Building?

Post by Cal4future » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:10 pm

What would you like pics of? I'll try to take as many as I can.

Football stadium and basketball arena?

Maybe the law school and law library if you have time!

I'll try to get the bball arena, but Heinz field is nowhere near the school (did I sense some sarcasm here?)
No sarcasm! That is actually very important to me. I don't plan on being in the library ALL the time.

Zephyr873

New

Post by Zephyr873 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:31 pm

Not gonna lie. Pitt's law building is in that 70s ziggurat style. It's big, it's cube-like, it's gray. But don't judge a book by it's cover. The first floor foyer is very nice. It has very tall windows and a very "retro-cool" feel. The library is spacious and very well-lit. The basement level holds the moot court room, which is very impressive. I've heard that the common area and lockers are about to be renovated, most likely during the 2009 summer.

The law building aside, I like your style of questioning. As with many urban campuses, it's difficult to get a sense of your surroundings with pictures of the law school.

I live in Pittsburgh. If you would like, I can take pictures of Oakland, Schenley Park, etc. to give you an idea of where Pitt is located.

Are you coming to the Open House?

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:06 pm

Zephyr873 wrote:Not gonna lie. Pitt's law building is in that 70s ziggurat style. It's big, it's cube-like, it's gray. But don't judge a book by it's cover. The first floor foyer is very nice. It has very tall windows and a very "retro-cool" feel. The library is spacious and very well-lit. The basement level holds the moot court room, which is very impressive. I've heard that the common area and lockers are about to be renovated, most likely during the 2009 summer.

The law building aside, I like your style of questioning. As with many urban campuses, it's difficult to get a sense of your surroundings with pictures of the law school.

I live in Pittsburgh. If you would like, I can take pictures of Oakland, Schenley Park, etc. to give you an idea of where Pitt is located.

Are you coming to the Open House?
I've been to Pitt law. Impressive it is not. The inside is better than the outside, but overall it's a pretty crappy physical plant.

jcfcporto

New

Post by jcfcporto » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:13 pm

I've lived in Pittsburgh all my life and if you decide to go there it's because Pitt offers good job prospects in a good legal market. You will not be impressed with the building, the campus, or the Oakland area of the city (which can be shady at any time of day). It seems impossible to believe that Pitt Law would even come up in a thread titled Best Campus/Law Building.

Zephyr873

New

Post by Zephyr873 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:51 pm

Oakland really isn't that bad. Plenty of great restaurants and bars. It's just urban, that's all. No grittier than NYC and less crime than Philly. Plus, if you can't find a quiet place in Pittsburgh to relax/study, you aren't looking at all.

But the Pitt Law building is definitely ugly on the outside. No getting around that. I mean, that is, unless you enjoy 1970s brutalist architecture.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sidgey

Bronze

Post by sidgey » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:05 pm

Fluffy: invaluable! Thank you!

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:59 pm

For those interested in Chicago, it might impress you to check out the Mansueto Library. It's not officially the law library, under construction, I believe, and is sure to be crowded. That being said...

I imagine that would be spectacular as the snow is falling.

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:08 pm

I will now really, really hate my life if I can't get off hold at Chicago (it used to be just one "really").

sidgey

Bronze

Post by sidgey » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:18 am

Just visited Duke and Chapel Hill

Duke Classroom:
--ImageRemoved--

Duke central student hang-out place (which I'm sure has an actual name):
--ImageRemoved--

Duke Library:
--ImageRemoved--

View 1 from the front of Duke:
--ImageRemoved--

View standing directly outside the doors as you exit the front of the law building:
--ImageRemoved--

And from across the street, facing the building:
--ImageRemoved--

The front of Chapel Hill:
--ImageRemoved--

And the view FROM the front:
--ImageRemoved--

Chapel Hill Library:
--ImageRemoved--

Chapel Hill Library part 2 (it has a part that opens up onto a garden to study... awesome!!)
--ImageRemoved--

Part 3 (more garden):
--ImageRemoved--

Part 4 (more garden):
--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:52 am

rainmaker614 wrote:I will now really, really hate my life if I can't get off hold at Chicago (it used to be just one "really").
because of THAT thing?!?! wow...

JMC

New

Post by JMC » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:55 am

patrickd139 wrote:
I imagine that would be spectacular as the snow is falling.
Have you been to Chicago in the winter??? Snow doesn't fall. It blows in from the side.

lsatbobby

Bronze

Post by lsatbobby » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:56 am

Duke's not as heinous as I thought itd be

waitingforanswers

New

Post by waitingforanswers » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:57 am

fluffy wrote:
sidgey wrote:fluffy - could you talk a bit about UChicago vs. Northwestern?

I also lived in Chicago (evanston) and NYC!
Sure. Well, you probably know that Northwestern Law is downtown with the business school and not part of the evanston campus. For that reason, U Chicago has a much more impressive and collegiate campus since it's tied to the rest of the university. Both have great facilities, but U Chicago's classrooms and library are more interesting and modern elegant. Some of Northwestern's classrooms are very old: Image and the campus is very small, however it does sit on lake shore drive and therefore has a great view. The library looks out over the lake. The school is in the gold coast, so it's sort of ideal, but it's quite a hike from the train.

IMO, U Chicago has a more impressive campus, larger facilities, and an powerful mystique. The potential downside is its location in Hyde Park on the south side, pretty far from downtown, but were I given a choice between the two based on campus alone, (and I won't be, unfortunately), I'd go with Chicago, probably because I'm a north sider and it would be a nice change. Hyde park is also a unique and cute neighborhood with awesome houses. If I were new to Chicago, though, I'd probably choose Northwestern for its convenient location.

I took my LSAT in that room!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:01 pm

JMC wrote: Have you been to Chicago in the winter??? Snow doesn't fall. It blows in from the side.
Well put--and I was there last month (while it was snowing, no-less). I still think it's going to be impressive.

Harry Pothead

Post by Harry Pothead » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:20 pm

IMO, U Chicago has a more impressive campus, larger facilities, and an powerful mystique. The potential downside is its location in Hyde Park on the south side, pretty far from downtown, but were I given a choice between the two based on campus alone, (and I won't be, unfortunately), I'd go with Chicago, probably because I'm a north sider and it would be a nice change. Hyde park is also a unique and cute neighborhood with awesome houses. If I were new to Chicago, though, I'd probably choose Northwestern for its convenient location.
I hope you realize that the law building is nothing like the main campus, and is across the park.

Main Campus:
--ImageRemoved--

Law Building:

I don't understand how anyone can sensibly say that the Chicago law facilities are more impressive.

KosovasLostSon

New

Post by KosovasLostSon » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:21 pm

Cooley... Hands down.

My idiot roommate from undergrad at UMich bombed the LSAT and chose to go there... Now he is moving to Las Vegas (one of the worse hit markets of this recession) to take the bar with plan on practicing in that state with his TTTT worthless degree... Not the sharpest tool in the shed. Worse yet, he lost his scholarship freshman year. I feel sorry for the kid.

lilybbloom

Bronze

Post by lilybbloom » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:27 pm

snow falls prettily in chicago sometimes-- usually in october/november.

re: NU Law location- the train is not "quite a hike," it's 3-4 blocks, crossing Michigan Ave, probably one of the nicest routes possible.

Unfortunately my (soon to be) alma mater rejected me for law, and didn't even have the courtesy to send me a paper letter despite the $100 I paid them to process my application. So I will refrain in the future from giving them any positive publicity.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

galahad85

Bronze

Post by galahad85 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:02 pm

sidgey wrote:Just visited Duke and Chapel Hill

Duke Classroom:
--ImageRemoved--

Duke central student hang-out place (which I'm sure has an actual name):
--ImageRemoved--

Duke Library:
--ImageRemoved--

View 1 from the front of Duke:
--ImageRemoved--

View standing directly outside the doors as you exit the front of the law building:
--ImageRemoved--

And from across the street, facing the building:
--ImageRemoved--

The front of Chapel Hill:
--ImageRemoved--

And the view FROM the front:
--ImageRemoved--

Chapel Hill Library:
--ImageRemoved--

Chapel Hill Library part 2 (it has a part that opens up onto a garden to study... awesome!!)
--ImageRemoved--

Part 3 (more garden):
--ImageRemoved--

Part 4 (more garden):
--ImageRemoved--
Wow, Duke's law school is pretty underwhelming considering what the rest of the campus looks like... Oh well, still my top choice.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:55 pm

rainmaker614 wrote:Though not law school related, earlier in the convo people were showing libraries so thought I'd share how insane this library is:

This can be law school related. You can go abroad there.

orgdonor

New

Post by orgdonor » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:16 pm

LSATahhhh wrote:I'd say UConn, Roger Williams, Pepperdine, Columbia, Quinnipiac, Stanford, and Harvard have the nicest buildings and campuses.
UConn,
TOILET

Roger Williams,
TOILET

Pepperdine,
TOILET

Quinnipiac,
TOILET

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:59 pm

Oh yeah??

How about Columbia, Stanford, or Harvard ???

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chris888777

New

Post by chris888777 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:00 am

Please explain why UCONN is a toilet.

galahad85

Bronze

Post by galahad85 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:28 am

chris888777 wrote:Please explain why UCONN is a toilet.
Don't feed the trolls.

fluffy

New

Post by fluffy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:54 am

Harry Pothead wrote:
I hope you realize that the law building is nothing like the main campus, and is across the park.

Main Campus:
--ImageRemoved--

Law Building:

I don't understand how anyone can sensibly say that the Chicago law facilities are more impressive.
I was not saying the law facilities are more impressive than the rest of its campus, I was saying thay are more impressive than NU's. Inside, the U Chicago law building feels airy. Ceilings are high and there is lots of natural light. Most importantly, it is part of a larger campus. Wouldn't you enjoy being able to view the U of C gothic architecture through the glass walls of your law building? Also, I don't think it's under construction.

Furthermore, Hyde Park houses Chicago's most impressive mansions and some frank lloyd wright landmarks. I've also discovered that the bus between hyde park and downtown only takes 10-15 minutes.
--ImageRemoved--

fluffy

New

Post by fluffy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:04 am

lilybbloom wrote:snow falls prettily in chicago sometimes-- usually in october/november.

re: NU Law location- the train is not "quite a hike," it's 3-4 blocks, crossing Michigan Ave, probably one of the nicest routes possible.
It's six blocks. Pleasant walk if you don't mind freezing temps and wind while tiptoeing over sidewalk ice.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”