Brooklyn Law v U Miami Law v Hofstra (w/ money)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LawSuitUp

New

Re: Brooklyn Law v U Miami Law v Hofstra (w/ money)

Post by LawSuitUp » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:20 pm

I applied to St Johns, I havent heard from them yet. when I started the thread I hadnt visited any of the schools in the subject, but now that ive been to all of them, I can safely say that I didnt like hofstra at all. right now my list is kinda like this:
1) Brooklyn & U Miami
2) Northeastern
3) U Buffalo (w/money)
4) St Johns

dreman510

Bronze

Post by dreman510 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:24 pm

LawSuitUp wrote:I applied to St Johns, I havent heard from them yet. when I started the thread I hadnt visited any of the schools in the subject, but now that ive been to all of them, I can safely say that I didnt like hofstra at all. right now my list is kinda like this:
1) Brooklyn & U Miami
2) Northeastern
3) U Buffalo (w/money)
4) St Johns
Miami is great if you can see yourself living there. It has a good hold on the market, something Brooklyn and St Johns dont have (although you can still get a job, but its harder to the saturation of the NY market). See if you can get $$ from Miami, because Brooklyn is much higher ranked.

holmesNYC

New

Post by holmesNYC » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:33 pm

dreman510 wrote:OP did you apply to St. Johns? I would definitely go there with money over Hofstra.
Me too. I may be considering all of these schools as well, but I've heard only from Miami so far.

LawSuitUp

New

Post by LawSuitUp » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:36 pm

I went to miami and spoke with them about money, we will see in a few weeks time if I will get some.

dalilama

New

Post by dalilama » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:43 pm

I was accepted to Hofstra with $30K a yr, but I am still waiting on St John's. If they come close on money, it'll be a tough decision, only because of commute. I was not impressed with my Hofstra visit, I am waiting to visit St Johns until I get accepted.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LawSuitUp

New

Post by LawSuitUp » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:02 pm

dalilama wrote:I was accepted to Hofstra with $30K a yr, but I am still waiting on St John's. If they come close on money, it'll be a tough decision, only because of commute. I was not impressed with my Hofstra visit, I am waiting to visit St Johns until I get accepted.

Me too basically (i got 67,500 total from hofstra) but i really really didnt like Hofstra when i went to see it.

afterglow99

New

Post by afterglow99 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:57 pm

What are the reputations of St Johns and Hofstra in New York? I know they're ranked similarly, but is the general consensus that St Johns > Hofstra? Does one place better in big law than the other?

Reznik

New

Post by Reznik » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:07 pm

Looking at their self reported data St. Johns places 10% in NLJ250 firms while Hofstra places 5%. At the opposite end they both have around 11% unemployment.

howie

New

Post by howie » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:11 am

yo i am your in same boat, accepted into hoftsta with cash, miami and waiting from st. johns, i Have never been to hofstra why dont you like it? i was looking at their programs they seem very attractive

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:47 am

Would you maybe get a good scholarship to Cardozo? I'd say apply to Cardozo and St. John's and get a mid-tier NYC scholly bidding war going :).

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:02 pm

I would choose Miami because it places better in its area than Brooklyn or Hofstra do in NYC. The Florida weather is a huge plus too IMO.

nycparalegal

Bronze

Post by nycparalegal » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:05 pm

I would not think about St. Johns. It's primarily a communter school in Jamaica, Queens. It''s okay close to the school, but the broader area around the school is known for being a rough neighborhood.
Last edited by nycparalegal on Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:08 pm

nycparalegal wrote:I would not think about St. Johns. It's primarily a communter school in Jamaica, Queens. It''s okay clost to the school, the the broader area around the school is known for being a rough neighborhood.
+1, I got the same impression. Unless he receives some serious aid, I don't think it would be the best choice for the OP.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nycparalegal

Bronze

Post by nycparalegal » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:11 pm

Personally, if I were the OP I would think twice about BLS or Miami without any money.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:13 pm

He'll still be saddled with some heavy debt at Miami, but I think it'd be an easier market to break into. It might benefit him to retake and get some more financial aid.

um08

New

Post by um08 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:37 pm

I am pretty sure this is an old thread that someone resurrected (from january 09).. OP is probably in law school already

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”