Brooklyn Law v U Miami Law v Hofstra (w/ money) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LawSuitUp

New

Brooklyn Law v U Miami Law v Hofstra (w/ money)

Post by LawSuitUp » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:43 pm

So, as you can tell from the topic I am looking at (primarily) BLS, UMiami and Hofstra (with a 67,500 scholarship)
So now in addition to my own digging, fact finding and campus visits I am looking for YOUR advice. (WE WANT YOU!) So now any input at all is welcome, but of course I am not just looking for people to tell me to go to BLS because it has a higher ranking than the others (clearly if ranking was the only means for selection, my decision would have been made already, right?) .Therefore if you cite ranking as the primary reason, please explain why this should be the main determinant. Otherwise I would love to hear anything youve got to say! :mrgreen:

abraun5

New

Re: Brooklyn Law v U Miami Law v Hofstra (w/ money)

Post by abraun5 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:06 pm

I think it depends on what your looking for, so it would be hard for anyone to answer that for you. If you want to be debt free or want a big law job or where you want to practice. From what I hear it is hard to get a job outside of the Miami/ South Florida area when you go to Miami. It is also a lot easier to get a job coming out of BLS then any of the other 2 so that will probably go into your decision also

Personally, since I applied to all 3 and I have been accepted into 2 of them (still waiting on BLS) I would right now go to Hofstra over Miami since they offered me money as well.

LawSuitUp

New

Post by LawSuitUp » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:33 pm

I agree that it is very difficult, if not impossible to answer for anyone on such an important personal decision. However, I thank you for the feedback (particularly b/c it was a good answer!)

Im looking for the best possible experience that I can get. So it could be BLS Miami or Hofstra. So far each has a lot that interests me. For instance at Hofstra it is mandatory that one takes transnational law and appellate advocacy in the 1L year (which is cool, but also may be a con if you consider that the school has a ton of requirements). Oh and they gave me a heaping pile of cash. I like brooklyn for its location and extensive clinical work and externship opportunities and I like Miami for its strong affiliation to the world of sport (sports law career symposium, 2 sport law courses and they are a favorite of agents like Rosenhaus and others, in addition to a connection with SFX) If I decided to go the BIGLAW route, all three have firms like Proskauer Rose (...which would be my favorite) come to campus, which reps nearly every important sport entity and other large firms of course.

bluehen

New

Post by bluehen » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:38 pm

For sports law or interest in becoming an agent I would say that Miami is probably one of the better bets. Aside from the West Coast schools such as USC, Miami's program has alot of notable alumni. Becoming an Agent in no way requires a law degree tho, and is a really hard field to break into. You seem like youve researched it pretty well so this probably isnt news to you. I'd also say that out of all of those schools Miami probably has the best grip on its market.

LawSuitUp

New

Post by LawSuitUp » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:39 pm

Thanks for the response. You basically honed in on why Miami is so appealing to me. At this point I would love nothing more than to work my ass off and become a full time athlete babysitter aka an agent. I know that U Miami is probably the strongest in this regard. However, the Levinson Bros. (agents) as well as high ranking yankee officials and the general counsel for the NJ Nets came out of brooklyn while one higher up at the yankees went to Hofstra (despite the fact that my PS was mostly about how i have nothing but utter disdain for the yankees...its still cool)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dreman510

Bronze

Post by dreman510 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:20 pm

bluehen wrote: I'd also say that out of all of those schools Miami probably has the best grip on its market.
This is definitely true. BLS gives you a decent chance in NY, due to its strong alumni presence and decent placement. However, Hofstra is near the lowest on the totem pole, as you have the entire t-14, Fordham, Dozo, BLS, and St. Johns placing ahead. Miami is THE school in south Florida, along with UofF.

SoxyPirate

Bronze

Post by SoxyPirate » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:26 pm

I'm not sure I believe the poster who said that it's tough to get a job outside of South Florida with a Miami degree. Miami has a pretty solid alumni network all throughout the south and even along the west coast.

I applied to Miami, and a lot of schools that are higher ranked as well, and if I get into Miami it will definitely be at or near the top of my list.

Marmot

Bronze

Post by Marmot » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:49 pm

LawSuitUp wrote:(despite the fact that my PS was mostly about how i have nothing but utter disdain for the yankees...its still cool)
Why not apply to BU? :wink:

It took me a long while to decide on where to apply, and I considered all three. BLS is the only one I applied to, in part because of the extensive clinical opportunities, and also because I see myself settling down one day either in the northeast or northwest.

Miami's inter-american law offerings are pretty interesting given my academic background and interest, but I can't really see myself living there for a long time; word has it that it's difficult to take that degree to other parts of the country.

LawSuitUp

New

Post by LawSuitUp » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:12 pm

lol. im sure they would love the essay...idk about my LSAT lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

marqban

New

Post by marqban » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:16 pm

All those schools are risky so I'd take the one with the scholly as a way of reducing my risk. I'd also try kicking ass my first year and transferring up after 1L.

marqban

New

Post by marqban » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:22 pm

marqban wrote:All those schools are risky so I'd take the one with the scholly as a way of reducing my risk. I'd also try kicking ass my first year and transferring up after 1L.
Forgot to mention that you should do what I recommend above unless you want to work in the Miami/South Florida market. In that case, I'd go to Miami (though I'd still try to transfer up to UF, at the least).

joonix

New

Post by joonix » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:28 am

check out the city of Miami... if you like it, can see yourself living there for the next decade or so, and have hope for the economic prospects of the city... then go there. you'll just have to compete with UF grads really, whereas NYC seems to have close to 25,000 law schools.

holmesNYC

New

Post by holmesNYC » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:22 pm

joonix wrote:check out the city of Miami... if you like it, can see yourself living there for the next decade or so, and have hope for the economic prospects of the city... then go there. you'll just have to compete with UF grads really, whereas NYC seems to have close to 25,000 law schools.

Good point.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LawSuitUp

New

Post by LawSuitUp » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:43 pm

I visited Miami and the UMiami campus last week, and I loved it. However, I did see BLS and loved it too. For me its a very difficult choice (i went to hofstra and hated it) Miami has all of the sports ties that they do and they have a good program, a great campus and beautiful weather (having spent the last 4 years in upstate ny, i really appreciate this lol!) However, I do intend to stay in or come back to NY, at least at this point, and in brooklyn I have a good chance at a very good job in NYC (not to mention, they also have their ties to the sport world, albeit different ones).

dreman510

Bronze

Post by dreman510 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:44 pm

Is anyone in this boat considering St. Johns or Cardozo?

LawSuitUp

New

Post by LawSuitUp » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:51 pm

im waiting on St Johns, but when i hear from them maybe ill consider them. Im not to sure about going to Jamaica, Queens all the time.

dreman510

Bronze

Post by dreman510 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:52 pm

LawSuitUp wrote:im waiting on St Johns, but when i hear from them maybe ill consider them. Im not to sure about going to Jamaica, Queens all the time.
Its really in Hillcrest, which is not a bad neighborhood, and its on the main campus.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tjb

New

Post by tjb » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:55 pm

LawSuitUp wrote:im waiting on St Johns, but when i hear from them maybe ill consider them. Im not to sure about going to Jamaica, Queens all the time.
I just received a full ride from St. John's. Even with the money, I don't understand how it's possible for me to commute there. There is no nearby train. I know that St. John's has shuttle buses to get to the nearest subway, but I don't want an undergrad experience. (I also can't live on campus because I have two adorable cats). I really need to visit first & then see what it would be like. I live in Brooklyn & don't enter Queens all that often. I'm going to wait & see what happens with Brooklyn & Cardozo. If offered money, I would take Brooklyn over St. John's (& Cardozo) because Brooklyn is soooooo accessible & has a formidable alumni network throughout the City. I think deciding between St. John's, Cardozo, Hofstra, & Brooklyn is such a hard decision & I would love to hear other people's inputs as well (maybe in another forum-- I don't want to take away from the OP's question!!).

dreman510

Bronze

Post by dreman510 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:58 pm

tjb wrote:
I just received a full ride from St. John's. Even with the money, I don't understand how it's possible for me to commute there. There is no nearby train. I know that St. John's has shuttle buses to get to the nearest subway, but I don't want an undergrad experience. (I also can't live on campus because I have two adorable cats). I really need to visit first & then see what it would be like. I live in Brooklyn & don't enter Queens all that often. I'm going to wait & see what happens with Brooklyn & Cardozo. If offered money, I would take Brooklyn over St. John's (& Cardozo) because Brooklyn is soooooo accessible & has a formidable alumni network throughout the City. I think deciding between St. John's, Cardozo, Hofstra, & Brooklyn is such a hard decision & I would love to hear other people's inputs as well (maybe in another forum-- I don't want to take away from the OP's question!!).
Do you mind if I ask your LSAT score? Also, what were the terms for full ride to St Johns?

tjb

New

Post by tjb » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:06 pm

dreman510 wrote:
tjb wrote:
Do you mind if I ask your LSAT score? Also, what were the terms for full ride to St Johns?
Sure, 163/3.46-- just be in the top half of the class if I remember correctly (which is do-able at St. Johns, I would imagine). I heard Brooklyn won't get back to us about money until late March which is a hassle because the deposit for St. John's is due April 1st. I don't know much about Cardozo (& I didn't apply to Hofstra. Also waiting to hear from Fordham but that is a crap shoot--my LSAT is too low). I do know friends who during last cycle called Brooklyn & told them that they had scholarship offers of X amount & Brooklyn then raised their own scholarship amounts. A few attorneys at the firm that I paralegal with graduated from St. John's on a full ride--I need to inquire how they were able to get around & where did they live. When I find out, I will pass along this & other helpful information. Good luck :)

dreman510

Bronze

Post by dreman510 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:09 pm

tjb wrote:
dreman510 wrote:
tjb wrote:
Sure, 163/3.46-- just be in the top half of the class if I remember correctly (which is do-able at St. Johns, I would imagine). I heard Brooklyn won't get back to us about money until late March which is a hassle because the deposit for St. John's is due April 1st. I don't know much about Cardozo (& I didn't apply to Hofstra. Also waiting to hear from Fordham but that is a crap shoot--my LSAT is too low). I do know friends who during last cycle called Brooklyn & told them that they had scholarship offers of X amount & Brooklyn then raised their own scholarship amounts. A few attorneys at the firm that I paralegal with graduated from St. John's on a full ride--I need to inquire how they were able to get around & where did they live. When I find out, I will pass along this & other helpful information. Good luck :)
I have basically the same numbers, just a 164 instead. Did you hear from any place besides St. Johns?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dreman510

Bronze

Post by dreman510 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:10 pm

Woops, sorry for hijacking, OP. See if you can get some money out of Brooklyn.

LawSuitUp

New

Post by LawSuitUp » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:13 pm

no worries I like this conversation! good stuff here

dreman510

Bronze

Post by dreman510 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:16 pm

OP did you apply to St. Johns? I would definitely go there with money over Hofstra.

tjb

New

Post by tjb » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:18 pm

dreman510 wrote:OP did you apply to St. Johns? I would definitely go there with money over Hofstra.
Dreman, I PMed you as to not steal the spotlight. However, OP/anyone else, if you want to hear details, PM me as well. I'm friendly & enjoy chatting about this. Ask away :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”