UC Hastings VS UC Davis Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
amers73

Bronze

Re: UC Hastings VS UC Davis

Post by amers73 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:40 pm

Top14Hope wrote:
SBL wrote:
Top14Hope wrote: And honestly I’m going to kick ass in law school and will make the money I need to do the things I want to do.
Oh, well why didn't you tell us your plan was to do incredibly well in law school?!? This gives you a lot more options.
Because I didn't want to come off like a jerk. Undergrad GPA 4.0 + me being the hardest worker you know = me kicking ass in law school.
You and everybody else bro :roll:

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:19 pm

well, i've been officially rejected from usc.

wise friends, please help me.

i am currently weighing my options and i don't know what to do.

i can either go to hastings (and probably davis when they send decisions out) or retake the lsat (163 with 3 months of studying) and reapply next cycle. any input from current students in either davis or hastings would be helpful.

my parents, family, and most of my friends want me to go to hastings or davis for multiple reasons, including going back near home, and because retaking isn't a sure thing. with a 3.7+ gpa, however, if i retake after more prep, it's likely i will improve my score at least marginally and become a stronger applicant for schools like ucla and usc. however, sht happens and it's hard to judge, and it seems like going to law school right away was what i had always planned to do...

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:43 pm

Lasers wrote:well, i've been officially rejected from usc.

wise friends, please help me.

i am currently weighing my options and i don't know what to do.

i can either go to hastings (and probably davis when they send decisions out) or retake the lsat (163 with 3 months of studying) and reapply next cycle. any input from current students in either davis or hastings would be helpful.

my parents, family, and most of my friends want me to go to hastings or davis for multiple reasons, including going back near home, and because retaking isn't a sure thing. with a 3.7+ gpa, however, if i retake after more prep, it's likely i will improve my score at least marginally and become a stronger applicant for schools like ucla and usc. however, sht happens and it's hard to judge, and it seems like going to law school right away was what i had always planned to do...
nothing wrong with retaking...take a year off and save some $$ while you are at it.

although no law school is a sure thing in CA anymore...see the top 25% Boalt guy with nada. try for Stanford.

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:54 pm

It all comes down to how valuable your time is to you and how well you think you can improve on the LSAT on your next try. A few points (to 167/168) would definitely make UCLA and other schools a huge possibility for you, but at the same time, you're looking at sacrificing a year of doing nothing (maybe working P/T?? Do you HAVE a job right now???). It seems like that fact is neglected by a lot of people. If you are, like me, and you do not currently have a job, then getting a P/T or F/T job for a year can be a very cumbersome process ITE. For kicks, I went around applying in Sacramento, Dixon, Woodland and of course Davis, got 1 call-back, interviewed and was extended a mighty delicious $8.55/hr.

You might "save $" in that you're not going to enroll in an LS this year, but if you have any consumer debt (car pmt? insurance? lease? CCs? expensive phone?) then a low paying job will likely leave you hurting.

Just another perspective. Full disclosure: I am biased against retaking because I took 35 PTs and averaged 163 +/- 1.2, and will not improve very much at all, barring a drastic streak of good luck. Additionally, I find the entire LSAT process very stressful. YMMV :)

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:01 am

anybody go to the Hastings town hall today? curious whether there was any mention of tuition hikes

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:05 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:at the same time, you're looking at sacrificing a year of doing nothing (maybe working P/T?? Do you HAVE a job right now???). It seems like that fact is neglected by a lot of people. If you are, like me, and you do not currently have a job, then getting a P/T or F/T job for a year can be a very cumbersome process ITE. For kicks, I went around applying in Sacramento, Dixon, Woodland and of course Davis, got 1 call-back, interviewed and was extended a mighty delicious $8.55/hr.
+1

I totally agree. I tried finding a job because I had a bit under a year with nothing to do. It was extremely difficult finding anything for that time frame - I settled for an internship because I could not find any real work. If you're going to take a year off, make sure there is a way you can make that extra money.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:54 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:It all comes down to how valuable your time is to you and how well you think you can improve on the LSAT on your next try. A few points (to 167/168) would definitely make UCLA and other schools a huge possibility for you, but at the same time, you're looking at sacrificing a year of doing nothing (maybe working P/T?? Do you HAVE a job right now???). It seems like that fact is neglected by a lot of people. If you are, like me, and you do not currently have a job, then getting a P/T or F/T job for a year can be a very cumbersome process ITE. For kicks, I went around applying in Sacramento, Dixon, Woodland and of course Davis, got 1 call-back, interviewed and was extended a mighty delicious $8.55/hr.

You might "save $" in that you're not going to enroll in an LS this year, but if you have any consumer debt (car pmt? insurance? lease? CCs? expensive phone?) then a low paying job will likely leave you hurting.

Just another perspective. Full disclosure: I am biased against retaking because I took 35 PTs and averaged 163 +/- 1.2, and will not improve very much at all, barring a drastic streak of good luck. Additionally, I find the entire LSAT process very stressful. YMMV :)
thanks for the responses.

it's definitely an interesting situation. i'm waiting until davis gets back to me before i make any decisions, but i'm slightly leaning towards going to law school next year.

lawuch

New

Post by lawuch » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:47 pm

UC Hastings is a great school. I chose it over USC partially b/c I wanted to live in the Bay Area after I graduated and partially b/c they gave me $$$ (approx. $20/yr; no gpa requirements). I am currently a 3L and have accepted an offer with the V50 firm I summered with last year. My experience during OCI was that Hastings still has a solid brand locally. I breezed through the OCI process with the firms I was seriously considering and was treated with a great deal of respect throughout. I imagine UC Davis is a great school as well, but I can only speak to my experience. I did not apply there and have not met too many of their students. I still think that all of my decisions were the best ones for my long-term goals. And, while I cannot fully follow my own advice, I would encourage everyone to look beyond what USNWR says (regardless of whether UCH or UCD happens to be currently ranked higher) and give much more weight to other data points like those discussed on this thread.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:57 pm

lawuch wrote:UC Hastings is a great school. I chose it over USC partially b/c I wanted to live in the Bay Area after I graduated and partially b/c they gave me $$$ (approx. $20/yr; no gpa requirements). I am currently a 3L and have accepted an offer with the V50 firm I summered with last year. My experience during OCI was that Hastings still has a solid brand locally. I breezed through the OCI process with the firms I was seriously considering and was treated with a great deal of respect throughout. I imagine UC Davis is a great school as well, but I can only speak to my experience. I did not apply there and have not met too many of their students. I still think that all of my decisions were the best ones for my long-term goals. And, while I cannot fully follow my own advice, I would encourage everyone to look beyond what USNWR says (regardless of whether UCH or UCD happens to be currently ranked higher) and give much more weight to other data points like those discussed on this thread.
I'm unconvinced that Hastings has an advantage in Bay Area placement. I picked Davis over USC also due to wanting to work in the SF area and will be doing that, provided I don't get no-offered this summer; during OCI it seemed like the list of firms - be they Sac or SF firms - was pretty much the same at each school, and I would be shocked if they used different informal GPA cutoffs when deciding to hire D v. H students.

The rankings thing is just a bogus difference created by something like a million schools being tied at 36. If anything, it suggests that there isn't much meaning to ranking schools between, say, WUSTL and whatever is in the 45-50 range. I love Davis, but anyone who comes here to be at a "top 30" is really making a stupid choice. Visit both, get a feel for both, pick the one you'd most want to spend 3 years at.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:00 pm

Lasers wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:It all comes down to how valuable your time is to you and how well you think you can improve on the LSAT on your next try. A few points (to 167/168) would definitely make UCLA and other schools a huge possibility for you, but at the same time, you're looking at sacrificing a year of doing nothing (maybe working P/T?? Do you HAVE a job right now???). It seems like that fact is neglected by a lot of people. If you are, like me, and you do not currently have a job, then getting a P/T or F/T job for a year can be a very cumbersome process ITE. For kicks, I went around applying in Sacramento, Dixon, Woodland and of course Davis, got 1 call-back, interviewed and was extended a mighty delicious $8.55/hr.

it's definitely an interesting situation. i'm waiting until davis gets back to me before i make any decisions, but i'm slightly leaning towards going to law school next year.
You've neglected one option. Accept and defer law school, retake over summer, and re-apply early next cycle if you improve 3+ LSAT points. If no improvement or regression, just claim your seat. This will cost you a seat deposit fee, which is why there's no real moral hazard in this method, but it's completely worth it.

I was in your situation a year ago, in at Hastings, Davis, Washington, others, and all with some $$, but knew I could improve my 165 lsat to go with 3.6x gpa. Now with a 169 I will be headed to USC at the worst and couldn't be happier. If you work diligently at it, you will have no problem landing a job to improve your resume. I used my UG career service center and public listings and found a job clerking at a law firm in just a week. I personally recommend taking a year to reapply rather than pigeonholing yourself at a lower T1.
edited

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:54 am

Cade McNown wrote:
Lasers wrote:

You've neglected one option. Accept and defer law school, retake over summer, and re-apply early next cycle if you improve 3+ LSAT points. If no improvement or regression, just claim your seat. This will cost you a seat deposit fee, which is why there's no real moral hazard in this method, but it's completely worth it.

I was in your situation a year ago, in at Hastings, Davis, Washington, others, and all with some $$, but knew I could improve my 165 lsat to go with 3.6x gpa. Now with a 169 I will be headed to USC at the worst and couldn't be happier. If you work diligently at it, you will have no problem landing a job to improve your resume. I used my UG career service center and public listings and found a job clerking at a law firm in just a week. I personally recommend taking a year to reapply rather than pigeonholing yourself at a lower T1.
edited
thanks a lot for your thoughtful reply. i have jumped around a lot in what i want to do next year, but at this point, i am 70% leaning towards attending hastings for a couple of reasons; chiefly among them is the fact that i would like to be back in the bay area for the next couple years and beyond.

i really wanted to go to ucla/usc because they are higher ranked and obviously great schools, but the more i look at it, the more i think hastings is a great fit for me. i still have some time to think about my plans, and i'll no doubt continue to weigh my options (including davis if/when they admit me), but i feel i can't go wrong with whichever choice i make.

amissionsix

New

Post by amissionsix » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:02 am

PMed you lawuch. Would very much appreciate your thoughts on deciding between Hastings and USC. I'm in that position right now.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:06 am

amissionsix wrote:PMed you lawuch. Would very much appreciate your thoughts on deciding between Hastings and USC. I'm in that position right now.
USC

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:04 am

USC vs Hastings both @ more or less sticker? USC.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:24 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:USC vs Hastings both @ more or less sticker? USC.
well, actually that poster's question is a little tricky. they started another thread where they give more details. they really want to live in the Bay Area it sounds like. but even there, I am not sure Hastings has an advantage over USC.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:37 pm

amissionsix wrote:PMed you lawuch. Would very much appreciate your thoughts on deciding between Hastings and USC. I'm in that position right now.
Picked Davis over USC. If they had cost the same, I would have picked USC no question.

minky

New

Post by minky » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:40 pm

I have read through this entire thread and I am still lost! :shock: :idea: :roll:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:46 pm

minky wrote:I have read through this entire thread and I am still lost! :shock: :idea: :roll:
What are all of your options? Maybe we can help.

minky

New

Post by minky » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:07 pm

ilovesf wrote:
minky wrote:I have read through this entire thread and I am still lost! :shock: :idea: :roll:
What are all of your options? Maybe we can help.
Aw thanks! :) Well I'm leaning torward Davis because I love the area and the program seems really great. I've also heard good things about the students and profs being really friendly and approachable, which fits my personality. I've lived near SF all my life and I am not a city girl. However, I keep reading all this stuff about how if you want to work for a firm Hastings as all the connections etc. I'm really not sure what I want to do w/ my degree but I don't want to close the door to big law before it's even open yet by going to Davis. Plus, Hastings has some interesting and unique classses but I don't even really know if that matters in the long run. I know this is similar to what a lot of ppl have posted but does anyone have any advice? Thanks!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:17 pm

minky wrote: Aw thanks! :) Well I'm leaning torward Davis because I love the area and the program seems really great. I've also heard good things about the students and profs being really friendly and approachable, which fits my personality. I've lived near SF all my life and I am not a city girl. However, I keep reading all this stuff about how if you want to work for a firm Hastings as all the connections etc. I'm really not sure what I want to do w/ my degree but I don't want to close the door to big law before it's even open yet by going to Davis. Plus, Hastings has some interesting and unique classses but I don't even really know if that matters in the long run. I know this is similar to what a lot of ppl have posted but does anyone have any advice? Thanks!
Well if you live in the area, I say go on tours at both campuses and see how they feel. It's been agreed that the schools are pretty equivalent and one doesn't really give you a leg up over the other. Going to Davis definitely does not close the door to biglaw in SF. I think it's already been said in this thread, but just go where either they offer you more money, or with your living preference. That wasn't really helpful.. sorry!

minky

New

Post by minky » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:32 pm

ilovesf wrote:
minky wrote: Aw thanks! :) Well I'm leaning torward Davis because I love the area and the program seems really great. I've also heard good things about the students and profs being really friendly and approachable, which fits my personality. I've lived near SF all my life and I am not a city girl. However, I keep reading all this stuff about how if you want to work for a firm Hastings as all the connections etc. I'm really not sure what I want to do w/ my degree but I don't want to close the door to big law before it's even open yet by going to Davis. Plus, Hastings has some interesting and unique classses but I don't even really know if that matters in the long run. I know this is similar to what a lot of ppl have posted but does anyone have any advice? Thanks!
Well if you live in the area, I say go on tours at both campuses and see how they feel. It's been agreed that the schools are pretty equivalent and one doesn't really give you a leg up over the other. Going to Davis definitely does not close the door to biglaw in SF. I think it's already been said in this thread, but just go where either they offer you more money, or with your living preference. That wasn't really helpful.. sorry!
Thanks that was helpful. I've visted both but that was before I was actually accepted. I will go back and visit again, and now I feel like I can look at things with a more critical eye. Still def leaning towards Davis....

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:07 pm

It sounds like you're choosing for the right reasons (I.e. Based on where you want to live and not rankings) and it sounds like davis is more your speed. All I can tell you is that we mitt not be the worlds most exciting little town but everyone here ends up loving it.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:50 am

i don't know where davis being boring came from. maybe relative to sf, but it's not really boring. i mean, i've visited friends several times who went to davis for undergrad and i really liked the atmosphere. it's far from the worst place to spend three years studying and i could easily see myself there.

davis is still very much an option for me. i'll be visiting both (davis and hastings) in a couple weeks.

with that said, sf is one of the greatest cities in the world, and hastings is my current preference because of its proximity and big city atmosphere.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:46 am

Lasers wrote:i don't know where davis being boring came from. maybe relative to sf, but it's not really boring. i mean, i've visited friends several times who went to davis for undergrad and i really liked the atmosphere. it's far from the worst place to spend three years studying and i could easily see myself there.

davis is still very much an option for me. i'll be visiting both (davis and hastings) in a couple weeks.

with that said, sf is one of the greatest cities in the world, and hastings is my current preference because of its proximity and big city atmosphere.
I love SF and plan to live and work there for the next 30+ years... but Davis is a BLAST. It is far from boring.

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:22 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that if you want to end up working in the SF Bay Area and land a summer internship/job near the city, you won't have to temporarily move for the summer if you attend Hastings. This may seem insignificant now, but it's just another headache you won't need to worry about upon planning your summers in an uncertain hiring environment.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”