Suffolk or Franklin Pierce? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Clairejk

New

Suffolk or Franklin Pierce?

Post by Clairejk » Mon May 22, 2023 4:38 pm

if you were a patent agent and sponsored by the firm for part-time law school, which one would you choose? Suffolk hybrid JD or UNH hybrid JD? I got admitted to both and leaned towards Suffolk until I just found out the UNH hybrid seemed completely online? Both need 40-60 minutes' drive from my home. Suffolk requires in person for the first year and online for the rest three years. Thanks.

objctnyrhnr

Re: Suffolk or Franklin Pierce?

Post by objctnyrhnr » Mon May 22, 2023 6:22 pm

UNH

Clairejk

New

Post by Clairejk » Tue May 23, 2023 10:57 am

objctnyrhnr wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 6:22 pm
UNH
thanks. but why?

gregk

New

Post by gregk » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:07 pm

I mentioned this in another post, but people should really look at the data. Suffolk is hands down much more recognized than UNH. They have five times the alums represented in big law than UNH. Even if your goal isn't big law, this is a proxy for the reputation of the school in a competitive, commercial setting.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:24 pm

gregk wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:07 pm
I mentioned this in another post, but people should really look at the data. Suffolk is hands down much more recognized than UNH. They have five times the alums represented in big law than UNH. Even if your goal isn't big law, this is a proxy for the reputation of the school in a competitive, commercial setting.
I mean, yes and no. For one thing, Suffolk's class size is over 2x the size of UNH's. And to the extent someone goes to UNH because they're targeting a job in NH, which is going to be many of the students, there aren't really any biglaw jobs in NH. So while I agree UNH probably wouldn't make a lot of sense for someone not targeting NH, or who is determined to get biglaw, I don't think the biglaw numbers are the best measure of the schools' respective *reputations* in this case.

Here, if the firm is going to pay for the degree, cost is a wash, and if the firm is paying for the degree, they probably expect to hire the OP. So I think the benefit of not having to do a full year in person probably outweighs other pluses for Suffolk here. Plus, UNH has historically been very strong in IP, and I get that specializations don't really matter, but since the OP is a patent agent and presumably going to law school to work in patent law, UNH will have a lot of pertinent resources and there will be enough of an association between UNH and IP that I think someone can at least spin it as the better credential. (I wouldn't tell someone interested in IP to go to UNH for IP over a school with stronger employment stats overall, but given the 2 schools in question, I think the IP focus does favor UNH.)

If the firm doesn't plan to hire OP I don't know why they'd be sponsoring her degree. But assuming the job isn't guaranteed, then Suffolk might be a better option. But that's going to depend on where the OP wants to practice and what her long term goals are and cost (if pertinent) - neither has strong enough biglaw placement for that to be a great proxy for which school to attend.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:48 am

great nixy post as usual. I think the hybrid thing is just dispositive here.

Usual framework for judging law schools doesn't apply for patent agents getting funded by their employers as a career advancement tickbox.

wangyangfs

New

Post by wangyangfs » Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:53 pm

Which program have you chosen to attend?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:57 am

Clairejk wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 4:38 pm
if you were a patent agent and sponsored by the firm for part-time law school, which one would you choose? Suffolk hybrid JD or UNH hybrid JD? I got admitted to both and leaned towards Suffolk until I just found out the UNH hybrid seemed completely online? Both need 40-60 minutes' drive from my home. Suffolk requires in person for the first year and online for the rest three years. Thanks.
How is any "hybrid program" "completely online" ? Answer: It isn't. Requires multiple 3 to 5 days on campus each academic year.

Do both hybrid law programs qualify you to sit for the bar exam in your preferred jurisdiction ?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”