Michigan v UVA Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What do?

Poll ended at Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:06 pm

Michigan (70k COA)
82%
UVA (100k COA)
18%

Total votes: 11

ChasslessApps

New

Michigan v UVA

Post by ChasslessApps » Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:06 pm

I am super torn choosing between these two schools. I visited both, really enjoyed my time in each city, and can see myself at either school. I felt like slightly more in-tune with the Michiganders but not enough to make me deposit right there.

My goals are clerkship/biglaw and eventually fed government. I would like to end up in DC or Chicago (assume I'd be just as happy in either), but I'm fine with NYC if my grades aren't enough to get me to the former. Michigan's career numbers scare me a bit and their career services people seemed... not especially helpful. UVA's numbers are better and their career services people are (seemingly, at least) more put-together.

Are these schools basically the same outcome-wise? Am I just pissing away 30k if I go to UVA over Michigan here?

Antetrust

New

Re: Michigan v UVA

Post by Antetrust » Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:39 am

You shouldn't be concerned about career prospects at either of these schools. Personally, I'd save the $30k. Congrats and good luck!

talons2250

Bronze

Post by talons2250 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:13 am

The schools are basically the same so go to the one that is cheaper.

mandrewsf

New

Post by mandrewsf » Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:27 am

Idk if this is also true at UVA but at Mich you could teach undergrads as a TA for full tuition + salary, plus the law school will pay up to 12k of your scholarship to you as cash. I think something like 1/5 of the law school do this gig (it's not that competitive, most people probably don't want it/have journals or other competing obligations) and it's basically a Darrow for 10-15 hours a week during the semester.

In terms of jobs, at Mich if you put in the legwork you are gonna be fine. The career office is atrocious but you don't need the career office to get biglaw. In terms of geography I would assume that Mich places far better than UVA in Chicago; it's the 3rd biggest sender to that market after the two local T14s. Plenty of people end up in DC biglaw as well, myself being one of them.

ChasslessApps

New

Post by ChasslessApps » Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:27 am

Antetrust wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:39 am
You shouldn't be concerned about career prospects at either of these schools. Personally, I'd save the $30k. Congrats and good luck!
talons2250 wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:13 am
The schools are basically the same so go to the one that is cheaper.
mandrewsf wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:27 am
Idk if this is also true at UVA but at Mich you could teach undergrads as a TA for full tuition + salary, plus the law school will pay up to 12k of your scholarship to you as cash. I think something like 1/5 of the law school do this gig (it's not that competitive, most people probably don't want it/have journals or other competing obligations) and it's basically a Darrow for 10-15 hours a week during the semester.

In terms of jobs, at Mich if you put in the legwork you are gonna be fine. The career office is atrocious but you don't need the career office to get biglaw. In terms of geography I would assume that Mich places far better than UVA in Chicago; it's the 3rd biggest sender to that market after the two local T14s. Plenty of people end up in DC biglaw as well, myself being one of them.
Thank you all for assuaging my fears! I have real connections to the Midwest so it just makes more sense to head to Michigan. I figure I'll be in the library so much I won't much care about the cold anyway... I'm excited to head to Michigan! :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”