Vandy (200k) vs UVA (300k) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Vandy (200k) vs UVA (300k)

Vandy
28%
UVA
72%

Total votes: 29

D3A

New

Vandy (200k) vs UVA (300k)

Post by D3A » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:47 pm

Goals are generic biglaw, maybe a federal clerkship, and to eventually work for the federal government as an AUSA.

VirginiaFan

New

Re: Vandy (200k) vs UVA (300k)

Post by VirginiaFan » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:23 pm

Add retake as an option so you get honest results, not just what you want to hear.

Unless you're independently wealthy, both options are sketchy.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:50 am

What are your stats? Have you tried to leverage your Vandy scholarship into any money at UVA? Agree that retake probably would be best. If you are absolutely going to go to one of these probably UVA since you should be able to get big law, whereas Vandy is closer to a toss up. If you can get more money from Vandy then that might change the decision

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:30 pm

If you have to go now, I'd probs take UVA as it secures big law.
Vandy is a great school. I'd be close to comfortable for it at that price but don't think I could pull the trigger unless it were around 150kish. I say that since a number of the decent firms in Nashville pay 150k+ and I do believe the median student at Vandy can secure Butler Snow and possibly Bradley or Waller. It might be more difficult to get Baker or Bass without being slightly further up, but I am not sure.
My rule of thumb is generally take out as much as your expected first year salary would be. You're a bit above in both UVA and Vandy. I'd work towards getting those total numbers down, if you can.

VirginiaFan

New

Post by VirginiaFan » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:11 pm

crazywafflez wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:30 pm
Vandy is a great school. I'd be close to comfortable for it at that price but don't think I could pull the trigger unless it were around 150kish. I say that since a number of the decent firms in Nashville pay 150k+ and I do believe the median student at Vandy can secure Butler Snow and possibly Bradley or Waller. It might be more difficult to get Baker or Bass without being slightly further up, but I am not sure.
My rule of thumb is generally take out as much as your expected first year salary would be. You're a bit above in both UVA and Vandy. I'd work towards getting those total numbers down, if you can.
For context, I went to UVA on a Dillard and got biglaw and STILL sort of regret it. Don't take on that much debt if there's any possible alternative (like retaking).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:31 am

I don't like either of these options, especially as the economy seems more uncertain.

Also, I just made another post about this, but it's not that I necessarily doubt you per se, but the number of 0Ls that want to be an AUSA is staggering.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:19 pm

D3A wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:47 pm
Goals are generic biglaw, maybe a federal clerkship, and to eventually work for the federal government as an AUSA.
If those are your only two choices, get an MBA.

D3A

New

Post by D3A » Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:47 pm

VirginiaFan wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:11 pm
crazywafflez wrote:
For context, I went to UVA on a Dillard and got biglaw and STILL sort of regret it. Don't take on that much debt if there's any possible alternative (like retaking).
I wish a retake would make a difference but my LSAT is a 178 so that is unlikely to help. GPA is a 3.5ish

D3A

New

Post by D3A » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:03 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:50 am
What are your stats? Have you tried to leverage your Vandy scholarship into any money at UVA? Agree that retake probably would be best. If you are absolutely going to go to one of these probably UVA since you should be able to get big law, whereas Vandy is closer to a toss up. If you can get more money from Vandy then that might change the decision
Tried to negotiate and got turned down. Sadly, I don't think a retake will be of any value.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:14 pm

D3A wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:47 pm
VirginiaFan wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:11 pm
crazywafflez wrote:
I wish a retake would make a difference but my LSAT is a 178 so that is unlikely to help. GPA is a 3.5ish
I think you need to reapply to the whole T14 then, and write a lot of "why X" essays.

With your stats you should have better options than this.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:59 pm

D3A wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:03 pm
trebekismyhero wrote:
Tried to negotiate and got turned down. Sadly, I don't think a retake will be of any value.
When did you apply? And where else have you applied? With your stats you should have better options than just UVA at full price and Vandy with a small scholly

D3A

New

Post by D3A » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:45 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:59 pm
D3A wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:03 pm
trebekismyhero wrote:
When did you apply? And where else have you applied? With your stats you should have better options than just UVA at full price and Vandy with a small scholly
I applied in early October to the T20 with the exception of USC and UCLA since I have no desire to live on the west coast. I also have Washu at 170k COA, but that doesn't seem to be a better choice than Vandy since I would like to stay in the mid-Atlantic.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”