NU ED (120k) vs Retake, GRE Applicant Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Lego

New

NU ED (120k) vs Retake, GRE Applicant

Post by Lego » Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:27 pm

BG:
GRE 331
UGPA 3.94
B.A. in one of the pre-law majors, M.S. in STEM
Schwarzman Scholar
International student

Result:
NU ED admit, with automatic 120k scholy

Goals:
Tech in-house counsel, product counsel etc. Ready to commit 3-4 yrs into Big Law before exit to such roles

NU was the only school that I applied to this cycle, and I am grateful for offer given my GRE numbers. Here are the factors in my consideration:
Reasons to take the money and run
1) NU makes a lot sense for international, its rumoured lack of PI resources is no-problem for international students; for what matters, NU places great into Big Law
2) NU is the only two T14 with guaranteed scholarship for EDs, another one is Berkeley with 90k, plus insanely expensive housing in the Bay Area, the COA at Cal would be way higher
3) No confidence in my LSAT test-taking skills, 165-170 would be a reasonably attainable score for me
Reasons to retake:
1) Maybe some chance for Levy at Penn, due to my interdisciplinary background?
2) West coast schools like Cal might place better for tech focused firms?

Future lawyers, now I seek your counsel and wisdom. All your inputs are sincerely appreciated

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: NU ED (120k) vs Retake, GRE Applicant

Post by crazywafflez » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:27 pm

While I'm old and practicing, I'd personally just take the Northwestern scholly and go. You've got a scholarship, you'll be able to place into California, I wouldn't sweat it.

uchioci

New

Post by uchioci » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:48 am

Go to NU, a great value and shot at your goals for that price. Very limited upside to retaking

Lego

New

Post by Lego » Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:31 pm

OP here, munch appreciate the thoughtful responses from above. Guess I was just being an 0L overthinking the process. After all, NU experienced a steady drop in rankings in recent years, which I hope in no way correlates to employment numbers.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:53 pm

Lego wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:31 pm
After all, NU experienced a steady drop in rankings in recent years, which I hope in no way correlates to employment numbers.
It doesn't correlate very well to employment numbers, no, and "steady drop" implies the existence of a trend which I don't think is there. USNWR keeps things churning so they can attract interest every year, and it's normal for NU and its peers to float between roughly #8 and #14. Complete non-story, even if the difference meant something.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”