NDLS this year or some law schools next year Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LS201316

New

NDLS this year or some law schools next year

Post by LS201316 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:58 am

I was accepted to NDLS with some schalorship money. My LSAT score is 169, GPA 3.7, and non-US citizen. My goal after law school is to work in a big law that would sponsor H1B visa. I have heard mixed things about NDLS and big law. NDLS is definitely a prestigious school and has a decent big law placement compared to other T20-T30 schools. But I am a little worried about how NDLS will do if there is an economic downturn in three years. I don't plan on retaking the LSAT since I know it is closer to my potential. And I know my current stats are not competitive at T14 schools. So if I reapply next year, I probably can shoot for USC, UT, BU, BC, and Fordham with my current score. But will those schools have a better or a more consistent big law placement? Or given my international status, it doesn't make much difference for me if I can't get into T14?

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: NDLS this year or some law schools next year

Post by crazywafflez » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:57 pm

Given your international status, I think it would be prudent to only go to a T14, maybe Vandy/UT/UCLA/WashU/USC. I really would just stick to the T14. I'm not sure the T30 is a real thing, the rankings change drastically- and I wouldn't bet on BL from them. There are certainly schools that have stronger BL placements, like Fordham, BC, and ND, but they do not have the staying power that Vandy or a T14 does.

johndooley

Bronze

Re: NDLS this year or some law schools next year

Post by johndooley » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:24 pm

LS201316 wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:58 am
I was accepted to NDLS with some schalorship money. My LSAT score is 169, GPA 3.7, and non-US citizen. My goal after law school is to work in a big law that would sponsor H1B visa. I have heard mixed things about NDLS and big law. NDLS is definitely a prestigious school and has a decent big law placement compared to other T20-T30 schools. But I am a little worried about how NDLS will do if there is an economic downturn in three years. I don't plan on retaking the LSAT since I know it is closer to my potential. And I know my current stats are not competitive at T14 schools. So if I reapply next year, I probably can shoot for USC, UT, BU, BC, and Fordham with my current score. But will those schools have a better or a more consistent big law placement? Or given my international status, it doesn't make much difference for me if I can't get into T14?
I think we spoke before on this very question. Just remember that there are student loans for international students and if you do not have the ability to repay you can always repatriate and then do not have to pay them.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”