For Employment and Clerkships: Vandy or Notre Dame? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Anonymous User

For Employment and Clerkships: Vandy or Notre Dame?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:32 pm

Just got off the WL at Vandy, already committed to ND. I have almost $$ at ND and nothing at Vandy so would be paying sticker. Posting here because the admissions forum is dead.

Looking to do a fed clerkship (if grades allow me) and Biglaw. Obviously, BL is better at Vandy but clerkships seem equal. I also lean conservative if that matters (ND profs seem better connected in that world come clerkship time if i'm competitive, but i'm not 100% sure on that).

With this in mind, is Vandy worth the increased $ for higher Biglaw chances? Is Vandy significantly more portable than ND or does ND's alumni network make up for it? (Not sure how much of the 'we have an incredible alumni network' thing at NDLS is fluff)

johndooley

Bronze

Re: For Employment and Clerkships: Vandy or Notre Dame?

Post by johndooley » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:32 pm
Just got off the WL at Vandy, already committed to ND. I have almost $$ at ND and nothing at Vandy so would be paying sticker. Posting here because the admissions forum is dead.

Looking to do a fed clerkship (if grades allow me) and Biglaw. Obviously, BL is better at Vandy but clerkships seem equal. I also lean conservative if that matters (ND profs seem better connected in that world come clerkship time if i'm competitive, but i'm not 100% sure on that).

With this in mind, is Vandy worth the increased $ for higher Biglaw chances? Is Vandy significantly more portable than ND or does ND's alumni network make up for it? (Not sure how much of the 'we have an incredible alumni network' thing at NDLS is fluff)
It is insane to go to vandy at sticker (or really any law school). Vandy is not significantly more portable. Neither give you solid clerkship chances.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:56 pm

Really? Recent years seem to put them both around top 8-15 when it comes to clerkships.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:57 pm

Not to blow up this thread already but as a conservative law student you'll be fine at either if you're above median. Conservatives have more likeminded clerkship opportunities and a smaller pool of applicants against which to compete. Take the money

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:14 pm

+1 for ND.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

johndooley

Bronze

Post by johndooley » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:56 pm
Really? Recent years seem to put them both around top 8-15 when it comes to clerkships.
Still uphill at both. People at TTTTs get them too. Doesn’t mean it is easy. Y

overheadSPIDERS

New

Post by overheadSPIDERS » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:54 pm

I would definitely go for $$ at ND over $0 at Vandy unless you very specifically want to be in the Vandy area post graduation

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:33 am

If you really want a clerkship then retake the LSAT, get a higher score, apply next cycle, and go to a T14 school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:33 am
If you really want a clerkship then retake the LSAT, get a higher score, apply next cycle, and go to a T14 school.
Already took the LSAT 4 times and maxed out at a 170.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:22 am

ND punches way above its weight in conservative clerkships, this is easy

Silver

Post by 2013 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:05 am

Vandy has better biglaw placement, but you should also look at where those placements are. Many students end up at more regional firms in the South.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:16 am

Have you tried negotiating? I know it sounds crazy to ask for $ right after you get off the WL, but Vandy may throw you some $ to make the two more equal footed. They admitted you for a reason (likely because they need some extra 170s to keep their 75th percentile), so you're now in a position to negotiate. You could also take the Vandy admission and see if ND will throw you more $.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:13 pm

Moving this to the proper forum (Legal Employment is not for 0Ls or school decision threads).

OP, what's your GPA? A 170 should be getting you better options.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:12 pm

Are you willing to share your numbers (GPA & 170 LSAT) and are you willing to share to which law schools you applied and the results ?

If you attend Vanderbilt at sticker price, you may need biglaw employment to repay student loans. If you want Vanderbilt, then ask for scholarship money. If none is offered, then Notre Dame at 50% tuition is probably the better option if not determined to practice in the South.

thegreattexan

New

Post by thegreattexan » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:48 am

CanadianWolf wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:12 pm
Are you willing to share your numbers (GPA & 170 LSAT) and are you willing to share to which law schools you applied and the results ?

If you attend Vanderbilt at sticker price, you may need biglaw employment to repay student loans. If you want Vanderbilt, then ask for scholarship money. If none is offered, then Notre Dame at 50% tuition is probably the better option if not determined to practice in the South.
OP here.

To answer the above questions, unfortunately both schools refused to negotiate. And GPA is a 3.5 (ended up being WL'd at UVA and NW, locked out of the rest of the T14 and WL'd at the rest of the T20). Sadly, since the Covid LSAT Flex inflation bubble, the glory days of 170=guaranteed UVA ED or T20 with $$$ seem to be over.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:17 am

In your situation, I'd take Notre Dame.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:59 am

thegreattexan wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:48 am
CanadianWolf wrote:

OP here.

To answer the above questions, unfortunately both schools refused to negotiate. And GPA is a 3.5 (ended up being WL'd at UVA and NW, locked out of the rest of the T14 and WL'd at the rest of the T20). Sadly, since the Covid LSAT Flex inflation bubble, the glory days of 170=guaranteed UVA ED or T20 with $$$ seem to be over.
Being wait-listed at Virginia & Northwestern might tempt one to retake and reapply next cycle. Also, I suggest that you apply to a few law schools which are likely to offer you a full tuition scholarship. Review federal clerkship placements for tier one law schools.

Best negotiating tactic at this point might be to decline Vanderbilt & wait a couple of days to see if you get a better offer from Vanderbilt. Should be easy to do since Notre Dame is your better option anyway.

Have you reaffirmed your interest in Virginia & to Northwestern ?

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:45 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:59 am
thegreattexan wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:48 am
CanadianWolf wrote:

OP here.

Being wait-listed at Virginia & Northwestern might tempt one to retake and reapply next cycle. Also, I suggest that you apply to a few law schools which are likely to offer you a full tuition scholarship. Review federal clerkship placements for tier one law schools.

Best negotiating tactic at this point might be to decline Vanderbilt & wait a couple of days to see if you get a better offer from Vanderbilt. Should be easy to do since Notre Dame is your better option anyway.

Have you reaffirmed your interest in Virginia & to Northwestern ?
Not a bad strategy. I don't think Vandy at sticker is worth it over 1/2 to ND. UVA at sticker could be worth it, but you'd need to think very long and hard about your financial priorities and risk/reward tolerances.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”