NYU ($$) vs. Michigan ($) — No Brainer? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Robespeer

New

NYU ($$) vs. Michigan ($) — No Brainer?

Post by Robespeer » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:58 pm

NYU gave me 90k (78k if I work BigLaw 2L summer) + a free $5500 summer grant for all students. Michigan gave me 45k and refuses to budge. It’s kinda nuts.

Still, costs of attendance would be near-identical, maybe a smidge more for NYU given NYC prices.

Visited NYU’s campus and it was … meh. I can’t say I’m crazy about the city. Ann Arbor would probably be a better quality of life, but I’d tolerate NY if I had to.

My goals are a FC, as well as BigLaw in Boston or DC. Would it be stupid to turn down NYU? How much better is the placement? Do firms go deeper into the class at one school or the other?

Any help is appreciated.

cavalier1138

Re: NYU ($$) vs. Michigan ($) — No Brainer?

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:46 am

NYU definitely has better biglaw placement, but most of its placement power advantage is felt in NYC. That said, it's still a better choice than Michigan because Boston is a tough market to crack (maybe easier if you have ties or a substantive focus on life sciences), and DC will require top grades from either school. So NYU's better biglaw placement overall is going to be to your advantage.

talons2250

Bronze

Post by talons2250 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:15 am

That's a really big financial aid difference. How sure are you that NYU cost of living would be so much more that it would negate what could be double the financial aid offered by Michigan? Are you sure about that?

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:42 pm

talons2250 wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:15 am
That's a really big financial aid difference. How sure are you that NYU cost of living would be so much more that it would negate what could be double the financial aid offered by Michigan? Are you sure about that?
Michigan's tuition is intrinsically about $3,000 cheaper if you're out-of-state. $1,000/month seems like a pretty reasonable guesstimate for the CoA delta between NYC and Ann Arbor, especially if we're comparing like-for-like housing. So there's your $45k.

Robespeer

New

Post by Robespeer » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:31 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:46 am
That said, it's still a better choice than Michigan because Boston is a tough market to crack (maybe easier if you have ties or a substantive focus on life sciences), and DC will require top grades from either school. So NYU's better biglaw placement overall is going to be to your advantage.
Interesting. Well I’m actually from Boston.

Is the non-NY placement advantage large enough to outweigh differences in quality of life (Ann Arbor > NYC imo)?

Does the NY placement advantage also make NYU more recession-proof than Mich, since you could more reliably land NY as a fallback?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

talons2250

Bronze

Post by talons2250 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:54 pm

If the financials at both schools are roughly the same and you think you'll be happier at Michigan, then go to Michigan. Some employers go further into the class at NYU for hiring and think of NYU as more prestigious, but most people think of the schools as basically the same. At either school, you will be the driver of your success, not the school.

mandrewsf

New

Post by mandrewsf » Sun May 01, 2022 12:34 pm

This current Michigan student wishes I'm at NYU lol (fellow New Englander here). Big law placement isn't the problem imho if you're willing to hustle - Michigan places pretty well in DC though expect no help from the career office people. Lifestyle wise, NYC >>>>> Ann Arbor. I'm just not into the boonies.

Access

New

Post by Access » Sun May 01, 2022 2:49 pm

I would go with NYU unless you really hate NYC. Michigan has had somewhat anemic employment stats at times, especially in overall weak years. If you think we're due the next recession and/or that there's a correction to over hiring (I'm skeptical about both claims fwiw) NYU will give you a bit extra insurance.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed May 04, 2022 12:11 pm

Robespeer wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:31 pm
cavalier1138 wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:46 am
That said, it's still a better choice than Michigan because Boston is a tough market to crack (maybe easier if you have ties or a substantive focus on life sciences), and DC will require top grades from either school. So NYU's better biglaw placement overall is going to be to your advantage.
Interesting. Well I’m actually from Boston.

Is the non-NY placement advantage large enough to outweigh differences in quality of life (Ann Arbor > NYC imo)?

Does the NY placement advantage also make NYU more recession-proof than Mich, since you could more reliably land NY as a fallback?
I mean, if you really care that much about being in Ann Arbor for three years vs. NYC for three years, go for it. But there is a difference in placement power.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”