WWYD: NYU (sticker), NU ($), GULC ($$)? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

WWYD?

NYU (Sticker) = $105K/yr COA
38%
Northwestern ($10K) = $90K/yr COA
24%
Georgetown ($35K) = $68K/yr COA
38%

Total votes: 29

petrparkr

New

WWYD: NYU (sticker), NU ($), GULC ($$)?

Post by petrparkr » Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:46 pm

Goals: BL in NYC or Boston. Maybe clerkship because interested in litigation.

NYU: Loved the visit and the city. Strong alumni network in both cities, but crazy expensive.

Northwestern: Loved the visit and the city. Really strong BL #s. But also very expensive.

Georgetown: Liked visiting but not crazy about DC in general. Best cost option but BL less certain.

trafalgar

New

Re: WWYD: NYU (sticker), NU ($), GULC ($$)?

Post by trafalgar » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:58 am

What are your stats? Is retaking an option? As it stands, I don't love any of these options for your stated goals, and the cost of NYU and NU is too high if you're paying out of pocket.

If retaking isnt an option, I'd go Georgetown. You can get NYC big law at median, although clerking is going to be difficult if you're not in the top quarter or so of your class.

talons2250

Bronze

Post by talons2250 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:09 pm

If you're certain that you're going to do Big Law then go to NYU. NYC biglaw is really easy to get from NYU even if you're below median (so it's a good insurance policy) and the biglaw salary means you can pay off the student loan debt. I don't really understand the logic of being so debt averse in this situation. Look at the salaries yourself: https://www.biglawinvestor.com/biglaw-salary-scale/.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:52 pm

talons2250 wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:09 pm
If you're certain that you're going to do Big Law then go to NYU. NYC biglaw is really easy to get from NYU even if you're below median (so it's a good insurance policy) and the biglaw salary means you can pay off the student loan debt. I don't really understand the logic of being so debt averse in this situation. Look at the salaries yourself: https://www.biglawinvestor.com/biglaw-salary-scale/.
Obligatory comment that most law school applicants set on doing biglaw don't actually have experience working as a lawyer in biglaw, and if it turns out that you hate it, being stuck in it longer because you took out sticker can be a huge bummer.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:59 pm

talons2250 wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:09 pm
I'm not convinced that biglaw is substantially easier at NYU than at Northwestern. So it's hard to justify spending tens of thousands of dollars on it. Like all economic decisions you need to think about the marginal differences, not truthy statements like "biglaw salary means you can pay off the student loan debt".

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:12 pm

One issue to consider: How much in student loan debt will you incur ?

If none or less than $150,000, then NYU given your desire to work in NYC biglaw. (I picked the acceptable total student loan debt level to be a bit less than one's after tax pay during one's first year in biglaw.)

If you will incur substantial student loan debt, then you may want to consider retaking the LSAT and reapplying next cycle.

Unfortunately, a recession may occur within the next 5 years so biglaw is not as near-certain as it is in today's market.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”