GULC($$$$) vs Columbia (?) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Access

New

Re: GULC($$$$) vs Columbia (?)

Post by Access » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:52 am

VirginiaFan wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:35 am
Access wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:59 pm
People should also be aware that the 3L hiring of the last two cycles is NOT typical. There's been a huge demand and a lot of people who struck out got a second chance. Which is great for them. But in previous cycles, and presumably whenever the music stops, if you struck out at OCI that was pretty much it for biglaw, you had to spend the next two years scrambling for a smaller firm job or pretending that you really wanted public interest after all.
Exactly. Go to GULC. You'll have the upside of a COA clerkship-->biglaw/bigfed, but eliminate the downside of six-figure debt and unemployment (however unlikely).
That doesn't follow from my comment.

TigersAreCool

New

Post by TigersAreCool » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:03 pm

Update: Columbia offered me $$.5(a bit more than a butler) so I'm depositing there! I did email UCLA and Cornell but ~50k more for Columbia vs a lower T14 is probably always worth it.

Hopefully that frees up some money for others and thank you all for your input!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:02 am

In my opinion, you made the best choice among your options. Congratulations !

VirginiaFan

New

Post by VirginiaFan » Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:14 am

Access wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:52 am
VirginiaFan wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:35 am
Access wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:59 pm
People should also be aware that the 3L hiring of the last two cycles is NOT typical. There's been a huge demand and a lot of people who struck out got a second chance. Which is great for them. But in previous cycles, and presumably whenever the music stops, if you struck out at OCI that was pretty much it for biglaw, you had to spend the next two years scrambling for a smaller firm job or pretending that you really wanted public interest after all.
Exactly. Go to GULC. You'll have the upside of a COA clerkship-->biglaw/bigfed, but eliminate the downside of six-figure debt and unemployment (however unlikely).
That doesn't follow from my comment.

I think it does. If the market starts hurting, I'd rather be at the school with 0 debt than the school with better biglaw numbers, especially when both schools will get you biglaw (even in a bad market) if you're above median.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”