Harvard is Out. Chicago is In. YSC Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
showusyourtorts

New

Re: Harvard is Out. Chicago is In. YSC

Post by showusyourtorts » Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:02 pm

Res Ipsa Loquitter wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:16 pm
toast and bananas wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:50 pm
Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:03 pm
DworkinLikeMyDaddy wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:31 pm
HLS's grading system still seems like something of a differentiator though -- significant contingent of students who cruise through picking up Ps and end up at firms that otherwise tend to look higher in the class and there are others who leverage average grades + previous work experience + the H name into more unique roles.

A similar phenomenon may exist at CCN for all I know, but at least at Chi seems like everyone shares in the misery (and RIGOR) of the numeric grading system.
Correct. Far more prestigious name, more lenient grading system, better location, and more pleasant culture. HLS will continue to win the cross-admit battle, even as Chicago continues to be the most generous with merit aid of any top law school.
I will only disagree with the bolded. Chicago >>>> Cambridge IMO
Dollar for dollar, I'd rather live in Lincoln Park, River North or Lakeview East than Cambridge. Problem for me is uChicago is in Hyde Park, 7+ miles away from the fun.
Of all the places…. River North?

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:12 pm

showusyourtorts wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:02 pm
Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:16 pm
toast and bananas wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:50 pm
Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:03 pm
DworkinLikeMyDaddy wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:31 pm
HLS's grading system still seems like something of a differentiator though -- significant contingent of students who cruise through picking up Ps and end up at firms that otherwise tend to look higher in the class and there are others who leverage average grades + previous work experience + the H name into more unique roles.

A similar phenomenon may exist at CCN for all I know, but at least at Chi seems like everyone shares in the misery (and RIGOR) of the numeric grading system.
Correct. Far more prestigious name, more lenient grading system, better location, and more pleasant culture. HLS will continue to win the cross-admit battle, even as Chicago continues to be the most generous with merit aid of any top law school.
I will only disagree with the bolded. Chicago >>>> Cambridge IMO
Dollar for dollar, I'd rather live in Lincoln Park, River North or Lakeview East than Cambridge. Problem for me is uChicago is in Hyde Park, 7+ miles away from the fun.
Of all the places…. River North?
River North is one of the most expensive neighborhoods in Chicago for a reason. You don't think it's better than Hyde Park? Anyway, nothing in Chicago really compares to global cities anyway. But it has decent entertainment, lots of people, sports, the lake, and a large job market.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:14 pm

Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:12 pm
River North is one of the most expensive neighborhoods in Chicago for a reason.
Because it isn't a real residential neighborhood but a place for condos to mushroom near downtown?

obx

New

Post by obx » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:41 am
I actually think over the next couple of decades we're likely to see Chicago cement itself in the top 3 or at least consistently top 4. It's clearly better than CLS and NYU. It makes sense too, best schools on the east coast, west coast, Midwest/rest.

But Penn ahead of NYU makes no sense. Penn is a biglaw factory just like the rest, and its high stats are a function of proximity to NYC. Maybe NYU loses out because of some COA metrics?
I think your data/information is out of date. Penn is par with NYU for "top" NYC biglaw (take a look at the summer classes at those firms adjusted for class size (Penn outstrips if you also factor in that less than half of P goes to NYC)) and flat out outperforms in DC. ~75% of NYU works in NYC after grad; it's like 40-45 for Penn. Penn grads have an NYC preference about as much as Duke students, and is still very well represented at PW, DPW, whatever. Cleary being maybe a notable exception (not sure if that firm still carries cache with law students). Penn and NYU are equally meh for clerking, with Penn ahead by a couple percentage points, but this is really a wash. A few years ago I might have said NYU was better than Penn if you were dead set on a "nyc v10" to the exclusion of all else, but at this point, Penn wins across the board.

laanngo

Bronze

Post by laanngo » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:54 am

obx wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:17 am
A few years ago I might have said NYU was better than Penn if you were dead set on a "nyc v10" to the exclusion of all else, but at this point, Penn wins across the board.
Cost of living too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:58 pm

I didn't attend either, but I think perception in NYC continues to be that NYU > Penn, but only by a narrow margin. That's because far more partners, judges, etc. here went to NYU, not because NYU is quantifiably better in any sense.

The ranking at my NY firm would be the below, but basically no one here cares where you went to school after you've been hired.

Yale
Stanford
Harvard
Chicago
Columbia
NYU
Penn
UVA / Michigan / Northwestern / Duke / Cornell (the lower T-13)
Georgetown

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”