Penn for DC goals? (BL to Govt.) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mbeattheheat

New

Penn for DC goals? (BL to Govt.)

Post by mbeattheheat » Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:12 pm

A little worried about my dc and government goals if I take the Penn offer. Would I be making a mistake and struggling with my long term goals? I hope to get good grades, but you never know how law school will go. They're my best financial aid offer thus far though.

talons2250

Bronze

Re: Penn for DC goals? (BL to Govt.)

Post by talons2250 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:26 pm

What are the alternatives to Penn?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:29 am

Getting into DC biglaw/bigfed is going to be a matter of grades and other intangible factors from anywhere in the T13. So assuming that you aren't getting a semi-comparable aid package at HYSCCN, Penn sounds like the best bet.

anymouseqwerty

New

Post by anymouseqwerty » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:18 am

For DC firms you can try searching DC firm websites and seeing which schools their lawyers came from and if the lawyers from Penn had some type of honors. For government you can try looking up the SEC / FTC etc on linkedin and then sorting for law school and then looking at a sampling of Penn profiles to see the career path and honors etc. Assuming you are looking at a variety of schools, you can also compare the number/percentage of people going to DC per school. UPenn class of 2020 has 26 DC grads (10%) and 6 who work in gov. Try to find these people and see if they all have latin honors or better resumes. Then you can do the same with people from other schools. This won't give you the whole picture but it might give you enough info to feel like going to UPenn v. another school will not have any difference.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”