Weird situation - Loyola (LA) at 150k? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
strawberryavalanche

New

Weird situation - Loyola (LA) at 150k?

Post by strawberryavalanche » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:41 pm

I just got an offer from Loyola in Los Angeles for 150k total (50k/year) in merit scholarship.

I have decent stats - 3.7x and a low 160s LSAT. However, for the LSAT, I only studied two months. I rushed my application because I wanted to apply this cycle. So I'm debating whether I should study more for the LSAT and aim apply next cycle.

With a better LSAT score, I could target the other two higher ranked law schools in Los Angeles - USC and UCLA. But with my GPA there's no guarantee I'd get nearly as good scholarships from USC / UCLA.

Plus I have no desire to go into biglaw, so I don't know if the opportunity cost of taking another year to study for the LSAT is worth going to a higher ranked school + less scholarships.

Thoughts??

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: Weird situation - Loyola (LA) at 150k?

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:16 pm

strawberryavalanche wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:41 pm
I have no desire to go into biglaw
What do you want to do? LMU's overall employment numbers are mediocre, to say nothing of biglaw. It's still a passable option at that discount but neither is it "oh wow yeah definitely lock that in". So the best path here depends on your goals and answers to questions like—how would you get by if you struggled to find legal employment after graduation (an outcome which over a quarter of LMU grads contend with)?

strawberryavalanche

New

Post by strawberryavalanche » Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:34 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:16 pm
strawberryavalanche wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:41 pm
I have no desire to go into biglaw
What do you want to do? LMU's overall employment numbers are mediocre, to say nothing of biglaw. It's still a passable option at that discount but neither is it "oh wow yeah definitely lock that in". So the best path here depends on your goals and answers to questions like—how would you get by if you struggled to find legal employment after graduation (an outcome which over a quarter of LMU grads contend with)?
I want to go into small law - personal injury or family law - or do public interest. I 100% understand these careers aren't "glamorous" but I've always wanted to start my own firm.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:56 am

If you want to open up your own solo shop, then you have an equally good chance of being able to do that from anywhere. So yes, Loyola for as close to free as you can get is a decent choice for you. Just bear in mind that you likely will not have the opportunity to change your mind after 1L; going to a school like Loyola cuts off a large number of options if you aren't at the top of the class.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”