Satisfaction with the decision to become a lawyer was actually fairly consistent across the spectrum from T14 to Tier 4 Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
latinx

New

Satisfaction with the decision to become a lawyer was actually fairly consistent across the spectrum from T14 to Tier 4

Post by latinx » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:00 pm

After the JD, a study that tracks the professional lives of thousands of lawyers who entered the bar around 2000 through their first 10 to 12 years after law school (the same representative group of lawyers were surveyed three times over the course of the study). It has been called the most extensive and ambitious national longitudinal study of the American legal profession ever undertaken. The study contains useful data for practicing attorneys (such as the finding that there appears to be a migration from private practice to the public interest and business sectors; also lots of data on the effects of the 2008/2009 recession), but there are also findings of interest to those trying to choose a law school.

1. Practicing attorneys that graduated from T14 schools heavily skewed toward big law with those from Tier 4 school heavily skewed toward small firms, with a correlation for schools in between.

2. Positions in federal government skew toward T14, while those in state government skew toward Tier 2, 3 and 4.

3. Fulltime lawyer salaries for T14 are loosely correlated to the GPA received; strongly correlated for Tier 2, 3, and 4.

4. An attorney with good skills in Spanish can build a prosperous niche practice that can turn into quite a prosperous solo career.

5. As we would expect, as the tier of law school attended declined, the amount of debt remaining rose.

6. Satisfaction with the decision to become a lawyer was actually fairly consistent across the spectrum from T14 to Tier 4.

7. The cohort was also fairly uniform across the spectrum from T14 to Tier 4 when asked if they felt a law degree was a good career investment.

8. The cohort was also fairly uniform across the spectrum from T14 to Tier 4 when asked if they would do it all over again, would they still have attended law school.

One concern I have is that the number of respondents decreased with time, with only about 2/3 of the wave 1 respondents responding to wave 3. This particularly could influence the findings of items 6, 7 and 8 above, as perhaps those that could not find work just stopped replying (although it could also be true that the very successful lawyers just got too busy to reply). Nonetheless, missing 1/3 of respondents will not cause a landslide of change in the findings 6, 7, and 8, and these findings are important as they imply that a decade after graduation, graduates of low-ranking schools were similarly satisfied and felt the JD was a good investment as was noted for T14 graduates.

I have pdfs of the study results and a slide show; private message me with an email address if you want those.
Links to the study:
http://www.americanbarfoundation.org/re ... summary/42
http://www.americanbarfoundation.org/re ... roject/118
https://thebarexaminer.ncbex.org/articl ... l-careers/

nixy

Gold

Re: Satisfaction with the decision to become a lawyer was actually fairly consistent across the spectrum from T14 to Tie

Post by nixy » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:53 pm

This is the study that surveys not everyone who graduated law school, but practicing lawyers, right?

latinx

New

Re: Satisfaction with the decision to become a lawyer was actually fairly consistent across the spectrum from T14 to Tie

Post by latinx » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:57 pm

nixy wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:53 pm
This is the study that surveys not everyone who graduated law school, but practicing lawyers, right?
No, not just practicing lawyers. You are welcome to read the survey via the links I provided, but as I understand it, they selected 5000 or so graduates three years AFTER they graduated (perhaps to allow them all time to pass the bar?) and then followed them for about a decade. These were not all practicing lawyers, but a random selection of ALL graduates, even if they went into JD advantage or were even unemployed. Nonetheless, they do break out their results by segment, so you can see specifically the responses of practicing lawyers and there is a lot of information in there that practicing lawyers would find interesting.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:24 pm

Weird, every description I find of the study says that it’s tracking lawyers and legal careers (not law school graduates). I recognize that over the course of ten years not all will stay lawyers, of course.

latinx

New

Post by latinx » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:53 pm

nixy wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:24 pm
Weird, every description I find of the study says that it’s tracking lawyers and legal careers (not law school graduates). I recognize that over the course of ten years not all will stay lawyers, of course.
Correct, the study tracked lawyers. However, they need not be practicing lawyers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:46 pm

But it’s a study of legal careers and the job it discusses are legal jobs?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:35 pm

Just want to clarify that this study does only address graduates who passed the bar and were practicing lawyers during the first iteration of the study. So that already misses about half of the graduating classes at T3 and T4 schools, and it severely skews the results by not talking to the graduates who are most likely to have negative feelings about their law school experience.

Access

New

Post by Access » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:45 pm

Studies show that airplanes returning from missions were only shot in specific areas, therefore those are the only parts of the plane that should be reinforced.
[+] Spoiler
yes this is actually the origin of the airplane with dots / survivorship bias meme

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:48 pm

Access wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:45 pm
Studies show that airplanes returning from missions were only shot in specific areas, therefore those are the only parts of the plane that should be reinforced.
[+] Spoiler
yes this is actually the origin of the airplane with dots / survivorship bias meme
I love this historical tidbit.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”