What else should I consider when creating a list of law schools to apply to? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
splitaf

New

What else should I consider when creating a list of law schools to apply to?

Post by splitaf » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:43 pm

Hey TLS, I've lurked for a while and have some questions. I plan to apply to law school during the Fall 2022 cycle (not this year).

Stats:

2.2 LSAC GPA from a top 10 uni (Engineering major, completed classes in 2015)
180 LSAT
4.0 in current MA program (I know this isn't important, but I hope the transcript helps show upward trend)
Will be 30 at time of application
Female, not planning to have kids

----------

Personal background:

I struggled severely with the misdiagnosis of a few chronic conditions when I was younger, so I'm currently interested in health law (both physical and mental health). I am aware this could change, but don't think I can avoid writing about this in my personal statement, as it largely defined my 20s. I'm curious about tax law as well.

Perhaps more significantly, I am autistic and know that I would be fundamentally unhappy AND it would be extremely difficult for me to mask well enough everyday to succeed in BL or corporate law. I can conduct myself competently overall and produce good work, but struggle whenever I interview with companies that expect impeccable professionalism in a stereotypical/traditional sense. I am much better at working than speaking about my work (something I'm working on with a disabilities advisor, but it's unlikely to ever come easily). Class participation and casual conversations are not a problem.

Given my age, I'm also hoping to attend law school in a city where I can see myself putting down roots long term.

I am very lucky to be in a position where I will not need to take out loans if I can attend a T50 school. I also am reasonably good with money and have more than enough savings for living expenses while in school.

----------

Questions:

1. Am I doing myself a disservice if I don't shoot as high as possible with law school? I know my GPA is extremely low, but with job prospects being much better from top schools, I want to know if that's a mistake given my high LSAT.

2. Does anyone here have experience with settling into a brand new city for law school and staying there long term? I'm eyeing Atlanta, but worried that my opinion of the city is much higher than it will be if I'm actually living there full time.

3. Will I totally regret pursuing law given that I am autistic? From my understanding, law is not a particularly disability-friendly field. I am not concerned about my ability to complete law school and pass the bar, but I am worried about being shunned from many areas of practice after. I am not fully "out" as autistic and do not need major accommodations, but it is detectable.

----------

My current list is ~25 schools and I'm not sure if there are things I should be considering that I'm not. I'd appreciate any frank suggestions and perspective on my circumstances. I do not currently have a thriving career outside of law that would continue if I did not attend law school.

Thanks TLS!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: What else should I consider when creating a list of law schools to apply to?

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:24 pm

What type of engineering BS degree ?

Masters degree program in which academic discipline ?

Why an interest in tax law ? (Accounting background or other related work experience ?)

Any interest in patent law / patent agent ?

Do you get upset by minor changes ?

splitaf

New

Re: What else should I consider when creating a list of law schools to apply to?

Post by splitaf » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:23 pm

What type of engineering BS degree ?
Computer Science

Masters degree program in which academic discipline ?
Psychology

Why an interest in tax law ? (Accounting background or other related work experience ?)
Family in finance, partner is in accounting. This was more of a musing -- I engage in a lot of discussion about taxes, but it's not really my background.

Any interest in patent law / patent agent ?
Unlikely - CS was not really for me. I'm pretty familiar and comfortable with tech/code but do not have plans to work in that area.

Do you get upset by minor changes ?
Depends. I'm fine with adapting to shifting work/school needs. I'm particular about my home space. I'm very action-focused and tend to thrive in short-term "crisis" settings.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:13 pm

The low undergraduate GPA is understandable in your case, and a perfect LSAT score of 180 many years later carries more weight than does one's undergrad GPA in the law school admissions process. Nevertheless, I think that you need to apply to as many Tier One (US News Top 50) law schools as you can handle.

Accepted ED applicants to Northwestern are awarded an automatic scholarship of $120,000 which is evenly split over 3 years ($40,000 per year). Northwestern University School of Law is worth an ED application in your case as NU law has accepted applicants with lowish GPAs in the recent past.

Time, previously unknown health issue, outstanding LSAT score, great masters GPA, clear area of interest, & maturity should all help in the application process. ("Time" that has passed since your undergraduate years.)

Based on the little that I understand about autism,practicing transactional law--as opposed to litigation--should be fine because your disability does not appear to be severe & your brainpower is outstanding based on your current grades & on your perfect LSAT score.

Currently,most attorneys are permitted to work from home rather than required to report to an office each day. This practice may continue in modified form (required to be in the office just two or three days a week) in the future. Would working from home help with respect to your disability ?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”