Externships vs Clinics….does it matter? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Lynx_4eva

New

Externships vs Clinics….does it matter?

Post by Lynx_4eva » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:38 am

I’m starting to pair down my list of schools and one I’ve been considering doesn’t have a clinic, but may offer externships in my area of interest.
Should I be prioritizing clinics?

nixy

Gold

Re: Externships vs Clinics….does it matter?

Post by nixy » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:19 am

No. Externships are just as valuable. You want the experience, the label it’s given doesn’t matter. I think externships can be more valuable because they give the opportunity to work with people outside your school, in the actual legal community, with whom you might not otherwise come into contact.

(And this is all very much less important than cost and employment power.)

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:02 pm

nixy wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:19 am
No. Externships are just as valuable. You want the experience, the label it’s given doesn’t matter. I think externships can be more valuable because they give the opportunity to work with people outside your school, in the actual legal community, with whom you might not otherwise come into contact.

(And this is all very much less important than cost and employment power.)
This is a solid & appropriate response in my opinion.

laanngo

Bronze

Post by laanngo » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:32 am

Would a clinic suggest interest in pro bono work?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:23 am

laanngo wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:32 am
Would a clinic suggest interest in pro bono work?
Because it’s volunteer work? No, you get school credit for a clinic and it’s a good way to get experience as a student. It would suggest an interest in the clinic’s subject area (criminal defense, family law, appellate, whatever; my school had an entrepreneurial law clinic working with small startups), but can also be explained as a desire to get real-world experience in the courtroom, working with clients, things like that (so if you did a criminal defense clinic, big firms won’t necessarily assume you’re aiming for public interest).

I mean if you want to signal an interest in pro bono work you could talk about a clinic in that way, but that’s not the only conclusion to be drawn from a clinic. They’re good ways for students to get practical experience, that’s what people will think when they see one.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”