Honest opinions on NYLS? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
baroquekid

New

Honest opinions on NYLS?

Post by baroquekid » Tue May 18, 2021 8:27 am

Hi everyone,

I'm a Canadian student looking to apply to Canadian and American schools. I'm looking to get into sports and entertainment law later on, and am currently considering NYLS as one of my choices in New York because of their comprehensive sports law program and their Sports Law Society. However, what are everybody's honest opinions on this school? I have been hearing mixed reviews on employment rates of NYLS graduates, etc -- let me know what you think!

Thanks!

cavalier1138

Re: Honest opinions on NYLS?

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue May 18, 2021 9:05 am

It's a dumpster fire that gives its graduates a coin's-flip chance at ever practicing law. If you're hearing "mixed reviews," it's only because you're asking for reviews from the admissions office. No one outside of that school will tell you it's worth attending.

And no, having a sports law "program" or club does not mean anything. So you should similarly be ignoring those aspects of any other schools you might be considering. What most people think of as sports law is practiced by a handful of partners at large, competitive firms and in-house with franchises/leagues. Look at where those lawyers went to school, and I promise you're not going to see overwhelming NYLS representation.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Tue May 18, 2021 10:24 am

Things have improved slightly since cav formed the above impression, mainly because NYLS slashed its class size, but it's still the kind of school that isn't worth attending unless 1) tuition is free and 2) you have no viable alternatives (i.e. you must be physically in New York and couldn't get into another local school at a reasonable price).

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Tue May 18, 2021 3:56 pm

baroquekid wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 8:27 am
Hi everyone,

I'm a Canadian student looking to apply to Canadian and American schools. I'm looking to get into sports and entertainment law later on, and am currently considering NYLS as one of my choices in New York because of their comprehensive sports law program and their Sports Law Society. However, what are everybody's honest opinions on this school? I have been hearing mixed reviews on employment rates of NYLS graduates, etc -- let me know what you think!

Thanks!
I'm also a Canadian. Unless you're a citizen, you will need a visa to stay in the country post-graduation long-term. You can stay on the TN visa for 3 years or so, but that is a temporary visa and not a solution that will keep you in the country long term (and certainly not long enough to apply for citizenship). To get an H1-B visa, your employer will need to sponsor you and firms willing to go through the cost of sponsorship are almost exclusively biglaw, so you shouldn't go to an American law school unless it gives you a solid shot at biglaw. If you intend to go back to Canada to practice, then go to school in Canada - it's cheaper and, more importantly, unless you have an elite JD you will not be getting a job in Canada. The JD and LLB are different degrees and you will have to go through a year+ of equivalency courses and exams to even qualify. And that's before attempting to find a job without the benefit of a law school's OCI or any other contacts

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”