Northwestern 120k vs Georgetown 150k Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
b33eazy

Bronze

Northwestern 120k vs Georgetown 150k

Post by b33eazy » Sat May 08, 2021 2:52 pm

I'm debating two merit scholarships: Northwestern (40k/yr) vs Georgetown (50k/yr). Which one should I pick? I would want to live in DC and work in the federal government. However, Northwestern has a higher ranking. I'm leaning towards Georgetown because of the 50k a year offer. Both are merit aid. Also, I'm also fearful of debt and my partner has a bunch of debt from her education (more than 200k), so I'm considering that as well.

Rule23andMe

New

Re: Northwestern 120k vs Georgetown 150k

Post by Rule23andMe » Sat May 08, 2021 8:24 pm

Neither the cost difference nor the rankings difference is all that significant considering the fact that you want to be in DC and want to work in the federal government.
If you had zero preference at all between Chicago vs. DC & wanted generic biglaw, then NU might make sense. That's not the case here though so go with GULC. That's a great outcome for your goals & situation so congrats and enjoy!

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Sun May 09, 2021 10:12 am

I think this is just about your preference- the costs may be closer than you think due to cost of living in DC vs. Chi, but Gtown will still be cheaper overall. I'd lean towards NW, however, I think G is totally defensible and a absolutely fine pick.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon May 10, 2021 11:35 am

I'd also go with NW.

Most people are going to have to go to fedgov through biglaw, and NW just places better there. Yes, GULC will give you better immediate chances at federal positions, but it's still a pretty big gamble (depending on what you mean by "federal government").

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon May 10, 2021 4:29 pm

Tough decision. While Northwestern is the safer bet, Georgetown gives you what you want. I'd lean Northwestern, but I am not you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon May 17, 2021 2:52 pm

If you are absolutely certain of going to the federal government, I think it's worth being in D.C. for law school. The fact that you have a pretty hefty scholarship helps limit your downside risk.

Sad248

New

Post by Sad248 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:07 am

If you're set on the federal government (but maybe explain what position you want therein?), the choice is easy: GTown. Internships and externships with the government are all over the city. You'll easily get a job with the federal government upon graduation and it is the cheaper option.

Honestly, the only reason you should ever pick a more expensive option is if you want something very prestigious or Biglaw.

Vin

New

Post by Vin » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:38 pm

Hi, I thought it might be helpful to weigh in on this for others facing a similar choice. I am a Northwestern Law School alumni, and I actually would say that you should be very careful if you are considering Northwestern. Unfortunately, it ended up being a bad life decision for me. I have had difficulty finding and keeping jobs for years since graduating. The inability to find work plus the student loans has put an enormous stress on my finances, which can impact other areas of life as well.

I don't know if other schools would be the same way, but all I can say is that, as a Northwestern law alumni, I would not advise anyone to go there. It ended up being a bad decision for me, and has had a negative impact on my life.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:44 pm

Vin wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:38 pm
Hi, I thought it might be helpful to weigh in on this for others facing a similar choice. I am a Northwestern Law School alumni, and I actually would say that you should be very careful if you are considering Northwestern. Unfortunately, it ended up being a bad life decision for me. I have had difficulty finding and keeping jobs for years since graduating. The inability to find work plus the student loans has put an enormous stress on my finances, which can impact other areas of life as well.

I don't know if other schools would be the same way, but all I can say is that, as a Northwestern law alumni, I would not advise anyone to go there. It ended up being a bad decision for me, and has had a negative impact on my life.
1. The OP posted this last year.

2. I'm sorry you've had a rough time, but I can safely say that you'd be in the same situation no matter where you went to school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Vin

New

Post by Vin » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:51 pm

Thanks Cavalier, and I know this response may be a little too late for the OP haha. But in case there are others reviewing this post who are trying to make similar decisions, I would just advise you to use caution if you are considering Northwestern. When I was in your shoes, I did not realize what a negative effect going to Northwestern could have on my life. So as a Northwestern alumni I would urge you not to go there!

Access

New

Post by Access » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:56 pm

Northwestern has objectively better employment outcomes than Georgetown. I'm sorry to this man but for any 0Ls reading this, don't reject a good school for anecdotes, just like you shouldn't go to a weak school because one grad is successful.

laanngo

Bronze

Post by laanngo » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:52 am

Vin wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:51 pm
I did not realize what a negative effect going to Northwestern could have on my life.
What is uniquely bad about NU law?

Vin

New

Post by Vin » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:15 pm

Yeah so I can’t say if the situation would be the same at other law schools, all I can say for sure is that going to Northwestern has had a very negative impact on my life. When I was applying I assumed that if I went to Northwestern and worked hard afterwards I would at least be able to pay off my student loans. But that is not the case. I currently work really hard. I’m struggling in my career and have no idea how I will ever pay off my student loans. I don’t mean to imply that this will happen to everyone who goes to Northwestern, but I do think it’s important for people to see that it’s a possibility.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:24 pm

Vin wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:15 pm
Yeah so I can’t say if the situation would be the same at other law schools, all I can say for sure is that going to Northwestern has had a very negative impact on my life. When I was applying I assumed that if I went to Northwestern and worked hard afterwards I would at least be able to pay off my student loans. But that is not the case. I currently work really hard. I’m struggling in my career and have no idea how I will ever pay off my student loans. I don’t mean to imply that this will happen to everyone who goes to Northwestern, but I do think it’s important for people to see that it’s a possibility.
Is it more of a possibility at Northwestern than any other school? It seems like this is the risk of going to law school, period (mayyyyybe HYS excepted or something).

That’s not meant to sound unsympathetic and I’m sorry your outcome has been so negative. It certainly highlights the importance of applicants considering costs really carefully and thinking hard about what they’d do if they don’t get a job that pays off their student loans. I’m just not sure that’s specific to Northwestern (though clearly Northwestern isn’t immune).

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:51 am

NW

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”