Law Schools of the South Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
nixy

Gold

Re: Law Schools of the South

Post by nixy » Wed May 26, 2021 7:19 am

WV is absolutely neither midwestern nor northern. If you have an issue with it being southern, see the comments about it being Appalachia, which is its own thing. I don’t know anyone who associates WV with Pittsburgh.

Rule23andMe

New

Post by Rule23andMe » Wed May 26, 2021 9:59 am

user Laanngo, if you're not trolling, I suggest simply visiting the South & the states at issue at some point in your life. Culturally, you'll see that OK and DE are very clearly not Southern, that KY/WV can't be anything else but Southern (besides 'Appalachian' which is certainly more accurate but much narrower), and that Charlotte is just kinda its own thing.

laanngo

Bronze

Post by laanngo » Wed May 26, 2021 11:42 am

Rule23andMe wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 9:59 am
user Laanngo, if you're not trolling, I suggest simply visiting the South & the states at issue at some point in your life. Culturally, you'll see that OK and DE are very clearly not Southern, that KY/WV can't be anything else but Southern (besides 'Appalachian' which is certainly more accurate but much narrower), and that Charlotte is just kinda its own thing.
I know literally nothing about Charlotte. I do know grits, bbq, fried Okra, and fried catfish are popular in OK, like TX. If OK is not part of the South, how is TX?
I'm personally convinced KY is part of the south, with its bluegrass and whatnot. WV from what I've heard sounds like central/western PA but its own state.

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Wed May 26, 2021 12:47 pm

laanngo wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 11:42 am
Rule23andMe wrote:
I know literally nothing about Charlotte. I do know grits, bbq, fried Okra, and fried catfish are popular in OK, like TX. If OK is not part of the South, how is TX?
I'm personally convinced KY is part of the south, with its bluegrass and whatnot. WV from what I've heard sounds like central/western PA but its own state.
Not to wade too much into the topic, but as a Southerner with family from TX, TX (as well as OK) are their own things. TX is Southwestern, Plains, and Southern all in one. San Antonio, Austin and El Paso aren't Southern. Even Houston and Dallas are hardly similar to New Orleans, Jackson, or Bham. Places like Beaumont are more akin to like Lake Charles, but a sizeable amount of Texas is nothing like Beaumont. I do think for folks not from the South though Texas and Oklahoma certainly appear Southern in a lot of respects and it isn't like they are Washington or Michigan- while I do not consider them Southern I understand why folks do.
As far as KY and WV- they are assuredly Southern. Honestly, more so than FL, NC or VA nowadays. While WV may more appropriately fit into Appalachia, KY has parts of it that are interchangeable with middle TN to northern GA and the Cumberland, so it has that classic "Southern" element but also Appalachia.
Sorry for the rant. This is always a hot topic amongst my "Southern" family and "Texan" family, hah.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Wed May 26, 2021 1:08 pm

It's really not complicated: a state is more or less Southern to the extent that it bears the residual cultural, demographic and economic effects of plantation slavery.

The prominence of slavery in an region's history is what sets

1) the Deep South (LA/MS/AL/GA/SC) apart from

2) the Upper South (AR/TN/NC/VA/DC) apart from

3) the peripheral southern states (FL/KY/WV/MD/DE/TX/OK/MO) apart from

4) areas with a mere cultural affinity to the South due to proximity (the southernmost/rural "redneck" parts of OH/PA/IN/IL/KS).

Oklahoma is firmly in Category 3.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

laanngo

Bronze

Post by laanngo » Wed May 26, 2021 6:37 pm

crazywafflez wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 12:47 pm
Not to wade too much into the topic, but as a Southerner with family from TX, TX (as well as OK) are their own things. TX is Southwestern, Plains, and Southern all in one. San Antonio, Austin and El Paso aren't Southern. Even Houston and Dallas are hardly similar to New Orleans, Jackson, or Bham. Places like Beaumont are more akin to like Lake Charles, but a sizeable amount of Texas is nothing like Beaumont. I do think for folks not from the South though Texas and Oklahoma certainly appear Southern in a lot of respects and it isn't like they are Washington or Michigan- while I do not consider them Southern I understand why folks do.
As far as KY and WV- they are assuredly Southern. Honestly, more so than FL, NC or VA nowadays. While WV may more appropriately fit into Appalachia, KY has parts of it that are interchangeable with middle TN to northern GA and the Cumberland, so it has that classic "Southern" element but also Appalachia.
Sorry for the rant. This is always a hot topic amongst my "Southern" family and "Texan" family, hah.
Thanks for the explanation. You're probably right, given how Texas prefers UT law to UVA/DU/VU. The same probably holds for OK but I have no idea. A cursory search https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... +of+law%22 of Crowe and Dunlevy, the only OK firm I have heard of, shows quite a few results for OUCL, few for UVA/DU, and none for VU. That might just be small market insularity, which wouldn't apply to Texas, since Dallas and Houston aren't small markets.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed May 26, 2021 8:13 pm

laanngo wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 11:42 am
Rule23andMe wrote:
TX isn't the south, it’s its own thing. Also there’s a reason central/western PA (rural, not Pittsburgh) is called Pennsyltucky.

Also I don’t think you can really determine a state’s culture by what schools law firms hire from. I mean, it’s something, but not really determinative.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Fri May 28, 2021 1:11 am

British firms like T6 grads, as opposed to people who attended law school outside the Anglosphere, but that doesn't make New England part of old England. It's just a matter of relative cultural affinity. Texas and the South likewise have a lot of meaningful commonalities and cross-pollination.

laanngo

Bronze

Post by laanngo » Fri May 28, 2021 7:19 am

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 1:11 am
British firms like T6 grads, as opposed to people who attended law school outside the Anglosphere, but that doesn't make New England part of old England. It's just a matter of relative cultural affinity. Texas and the South likewise have a lot of meaningful commonalities and cross-pollination.
Does that mean McGill wouldn't be portable to the UK? It's unwise to attend law school in Canada if you seek to practice in the UK, but not sure how UK perceives T3 Canadian law schools

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Fri May 28, 2021 11:05 am

laanngo wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 7:19 am
The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 1:11 am
Does that mean McGill wouldn't be portable to the UK? It's unwise to attend law school in Canada if you seek to practice in the UK, but not sure how UK perceives T3 Canadian law schools
McGill is part of the Anglosphere, so no

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”