Case v Oregon Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Case or Oregon

Case Western
No votes
Oregon
100%

Total votes: 3

Hadude09

New

Case v Oregon

Post by Hadude09 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:20 pm

I’m fully aware I won’t be working in big law after law school going to these schools but I’m trying to end up in CA at some point. Trying to work in public interest as well. Since these aren’t T14 schools, I’m prioritizing geography and program fit. Would rather live in Eugene but my GF is doing her clinical fellowship and Case Med and Cleveland Clinic are prestigious institutions while Oregon Med is in Portland.

Case- 122k Env Law Scholar Award
Oregon- 75k (trying to negotiate this up)

I won’t be in debt if I go to either school.

Waitlisted at Wash U. Still hoping for an acceptance even though it’s unlikely.

Anyone have any thoughts on either school?

cavalier1138

Re: Case v Oregon

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:40 am

Why are you only considering out-of-state schools if your goal is to work in California? I understand that your girlfriend's job is not in California, but you clearly aren't prioritizing schools in Ohio either.

If you want to work public interest jobs in California, then go to the best California school you can get into without incurring debt. If you want to work public interest jobs where your significant other is, then figure out where she wants to end up long-term and do the same for local schools in that state.

JamezPhoenix

New

Post by JamezPhoenix » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:52 pm

Not to be insensitive but how serious/ long term is this relationship? If you guys are planning on getting married and starting a family then I guess try to be close to her? I know people do long distance all the time but I certainly wouldn't recommend it for three years (maybe more)
Other than that I am with Cav, I don't understand your choices here at all and can't really evaluate further.

Hadude09

New

Post by Hadude09 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:56 pm

We’ve been together for 7 years. We’re both in our early 30s. We wouldn’t be doing long distance. It might have been a miscommunication. I was just saying there would be more opportunities for her in Cleveland.

Getting into a good CA school is easier said than done. Still awaiting Pepperdine and Loyola but not expecting more than a waitlist this in the cycle. Rejected from UCLA and Berkeley.

DebtPrisoner

New

Post by DebtPrisoner » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:33 pm

Hadude09 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:56 pm
We’ve been together for 7 years. We’re both in our early 30s. We wouldn’t be doing long distance. It might have been a miscommunication. I was just saying there would be more opportunities for her in Cleveland.

Getting into a good CA school is easier said than done. Still awaiting Pepperdine and Loyola but not expecting more than a waitlist this in the cycle. Rejected from UCLA and Berkeley.
There are CA schools in between UCLA/Berkeley and Pepperdine/Loyola. You may want to wait a year and reapply to look at UC Irvine, UC Davis, and try Loyola again if you can up your LSAT and get $$$.

But based on the choices in front of you, Oregon would likely be better to get you practicing environmental law in CA, if only because it will set you up to practice env. law in OR and you'll be much more portable with experience.

But honestly, I would try to reapply to Davis with an LSAT that will get you $$$$. They have a strong PI program, are connected to Sacramento and the Bay Area, and have a good medical school/health system that I'm sure would have opportunities for your SO. Irvine has similar offerings for your SO, though you wouldn't be able squeeze as much $ out of them and they are not as PI oriented, all else being equal.

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:44 pm

These schools don't really give you a strong chance of getting back to Cali working in PI. It isn't impossible if you're willing to go to Fresno or Bakersfield (i'll let folks who are more familiar tackle that)- but I did have a friend in law school who was from Los Angeles, at our T1 southern school, network into the PD office in San Diego, but it took him a year after graduating, and his long-term gf was from the area and they had moved there. But I wouldn't want to say that this is the norm- I had a good friend from northern cali strike out and not get a job and now he is stuck in the state where our school is.
You really should be trying to get into UCI/UCD (depending on where you wanna be in Cali) for minimal costs- perhaps Pepperdine/Loyola/UC hastings/USD/maybe SW if you get them free (or close to it) depending on the market you are aiming for.
I really wouldn't recommend Case or Oregon unless you were cool working in Ohio or Oregon for a sizeable amount of time after graduating.
I would wait out the cycle and apply again next year- I think I'd consider retaking as well- but by waiting till next cycle you'll potentially have more options and know more about where your partner will be. Obviously, if you retake and do so well that UCLA/USC or even Cal (or other T14s) or something become options, that would make things a lot easier as well! And if you do get that far- I'd take UCI for free over sticker at like UCLA/USC for your goals, others might feel differently though!
Best of luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”