UT Austin ($$$) v. BU ($$$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Onta1998

New

UT Austin ($$$) v. BU ($$$)

Post by Onta1998 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:11 pm

So I finally received my last decision yesterday and have narrowed down my choices to the University of Texas at Austin or Boston University. Both schools offered me fairly good scholarships as the total cost of attendance for UT is $93,000 while BU is $85,000. I have generic biglaw and federal clerkship goals and while I was set on working in NYC when I first applied to schools, the more I learn about the UT, the Texas legal market, and the amount of money you save with no state income taxes, the more appealing UT has become. I am fairly set on choosing UT but wanted to see if anyone has any pros of BU that I have not thought of yet or general thoughts on choosing UT as an out-of-state applicant.

Also, I was waitlisted at every T14 I applied to and am planning on staying on the waitlists through the summer.

ChosenOneNow

New

Re: UT Austin ($$$) v. BU ($$$)

Post by ChosenOneNow » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:46 pm

Onta1998 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:11 pm
So I finally received my last decision yesterday and have narrowed down my choices to the University of Texas at Austin or Boston University. Both schools offered me fairly good scholarships as the total cost of attendance for UT is $93,000 while BU is $85,000. I have generic biglaw and federal clerkship goals and while I was set on working in NYC when I first applied to schools, the more I learn about the UT, the Texas legal market, and the amount of money you save with no state income taxes, the more appealing UT has become. I am fairly set on choosing UT but wanted to see if anyone has any pros of BU that I have not thought of yet or general thoughts on choosing UT as an out-of-state applicant.

Also, I was waitlisted at every T14 I applied to and am planning on staying on the waitlists through the summer.
I think this is geographical. If you want to live in Texas, I can't think of a reason why you would go to BU. Plus, they are very similar in terms of costs. This seems very straightforward. UT all the way.

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:32 am

Enjoy Austin.

CalF123

New

Post by CalF123 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:08 pm

I think this one is really quite simple- if you want to live and work in Texas, go to UT.

I usually advocate BU on these threads, but it is not a good option for someone wanting to work in Texas.

BU places very well in Boston and to an extent elsewhere on the east coast. But I think you would have some difficulty getting to Texas from BU.

Onta1998

New

Post by Onta1998 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:28 am

CalF123 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:08 pm
I think this one is really quite simple- if you want to live and work in Texas, go to UT.

I usually advocate BU on these threads, but it is not a good option for someone wanting to work in Texas.

BU places very well in Boston and to an extent elsewhere on the east coast. But I think you would have some difficulty getting to Texas from BU.
What would your thoughts be for someone who just wants biglaw or a federal clerkship in general and is not overly worried about location?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:43 am

Onta1998 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:28 am
CalF123 wrote:

What would your thoughts be for someone who just wants biglaw or a federal clerkship in general and is not overly worried about location?
Texas

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:21 pm

Seems clear that Texas is the better choice given your goals.

CalF123

New

Post by CalF123 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:11 pm

Onta1998 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:28 am
CalF123 wrote:

To be frank, it really depends where you’d rather work. For biglaw, BU places well in Boston and UT places well in Texas.

Neither have a huge degree of national portability. I would actually say that for biglaw, BU has slightly more national portability- around 20% of 2019 graduates ended up in NY for example compared to 4% from UT.

UT seems to do much better for federal clerkships though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”