Kent vs LUC (with some ?? in the mix) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tripod

New

Kent vs LUC (with some ?? in the mix)

Post by tripod » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:06 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking at deposit deadlines next week, and although I'm pretty sure how I will proceed but thought I'd pop in here to see if others have thoughts. I have been out of school for 9 years, and have been a community organizer for the last 5 (volunteer, 10-15 hours/week). I hope to work in legal aid in Chicago after graduating, especially interested in community/movement lawyering - so debt minimization is a high priority (lucky enough to have no undergrad loans). I have connections in Chicago legal aid community due to my organizing activities. My stats - LSAT-Flex: 172; GPA: 3.63. I took the January LSAT so my apps were sent out Feb 3.

My acceptances of note are IIT-Kent with a full ride, and Loyola Chicago with $35k/yr (tuition is 50k).

From convos I've had with a couple Chicago legal aid attorneys, there is not enough of a difference between LUC and Kent to be worth taking on more debt. This includes the ED of a community legal aid org (in other words, someone who hires for the type of position I want). With that full ride at Kent I should be able to get away with just Stafford loans and my savings, and as far as I can tell it's a good school that'll get me where I want to be.

The wildcards are that I've been waitlisted at Michigan & Berkeley, and I'm still waiting to hear back from Northwestern (my top choice) and NYU. The feedback I've gotten is that if I get into any of these I should go for it. At this point, I have to put down a deposit at Kent by the 15th so I figure I'll do that and if I get into a T14 I'll change course?? I'd love to stay in Chicago for school but if I get into such a good school I feel like it's worth the move. Let me know if folks have any thoughts!

cavalier1138

Re: Kent vs LUC (with some ?? in the mix)

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:44 am

Kent, no question.

I'm also not convinced that you should be considering a school like Northwestern or Michigan unless you're very comfortable with PSLF/LRAP for debt repayment. Your goals are easily attainable from a school like Kent, and unless you'd like to move from community/movement lawyering to more selective NGO-type work, I don't see the benefit to having a T13 degree.

tripod

New

Re: Kent vs LUC (with some ?? in the mix)

Post by tripod » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:57 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:44 am
Kent, no question.

I'm also not convinced that you should be considering a school like Northwestern or Michigan unless you're very comfortable with PSLF/LRAP for debt repayment. Your goals are easily attainable from a school like Kent, and unless you'd like to move from community/movement lawyering to more selective NGO-type work, I don't see the benefit to having a T13 degree.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I don't think I'd consider any of the non-IL T13 options unless they were providing aid/scholarship. From what I can tell Northwestern has a good LRAP program and would allow me to stay in Chicago, but yes if they don't provide $ I'd be nervous about it(at this point I'd be surprised to get in at all though).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”