USC (35K) v. Michigan (25K) - SoCal Biglaw Goals Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ramosluis525

New

USC (35K) v. Michigan (25K) - SoCal Biglaw Goals

Post by ramosluis525 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:00 pm

Hi there!

I need help deciding between USC with a 35K annual scholarship and Michigan with a 25K annual scholarship.

I'm presently working at a biglaw firm in Boston and am setting my sights towards a biglaw career in LA after graduation. I'm originally from LA and am hoping to return each summer to work. My heart is telling me USC, but it's difficult to turn down a great school like Michigan especially with the scholarship offers being so close. I understand Michigan places better virtually everywhere, but that the LA biglaw market is more niche and tends to recruit heavily from the local schools (ucla/usc/uci).

For what it's worth: I have a little to no interest in clerking; I have over 6 years of full-time legal work experience; I'm a fluent Spanish speaker and a first generation American (both parents from Mexico); and I'm also still in the running for the SEO Law Fellowship, I have my second interview with the director this weekend. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

laanngo

Bronze

Re: USC (35K) v. Michigan (25K) - SoCal Biglaw Goals

Post by laanngo » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:47 pm

ramosluis525 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:00 pm
Hi there!

I need help deciding between USC with a 35K annual scholarship and Michigan with a 25K annual scholarship.

I'm presently working at a biglaw firm in Boston and am setting my sights towards a biglaw career in LA after graduation. I'm originally from LA and am hoping to return each summer to work. My heart is telling me USC, but it's difficult to turn down a great school like Michigan especially with the scholarship offers being so close. I understand Michigan places better virtually everywhere, but that the LA biglaw market is more niche and tends to recruit heavily from the local schools (ucla/usc/uci).

For what it's worth: I have a little to no interest in clerking; I have over 6 years of full-time legal work experience; I'm a fluent Spanish speaker and a first generation American (both parents from Mexico); and I'm also still in the running for the SEO Law Fellowship, I have my second interview with the director this weekend. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I don't think LA is an insular market where a portable T14 degree would have difficulty placing. Michigan gives you a much better job guarantee overall - USC might place better in LA, but much of that might be self-selection.

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:22 pm

The costs are too close. Mich is the clear choice here. You're from Los Angeles, headed back with a T14 degree, which you got with a decent scholly package. The costs of these degrees will be substantially the same since SoCal is so gosh darn expensive. You'll make it back to Los Angeles since you're from the area and you'll be coming back from Mich. Worst case scenario from Mich you do biglaw a few years in NYC and then lateral. Worst case from USC, you strike out and don't get biglaw. Take Mich here.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:42 am

Based on your preference for USC & on your clear desire to practice law in Southern California, either school is a reasonable choice since the COA is lower at USC.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:20 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:42 am
Based on your preference for USC & on your clear desire to practice law in Southern California, either school is a reasonable choice since the COA is lower at USC.
Except they want to practice biglaw in Southern California, not just any kind of law. And with the OP's ties to LA, Michigan will easily get them back home. Michigan is easily worth an extra $30k for the difference in biglaw hiring rates.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

omar.comin

New

Post by omar.comin » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:06 pm

Michigan is TCR. This is easy.

CTT

Bronze

Post by CTT » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:48 pm

Michigan.

unknown94

New

Post by unknown94 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:16 am

Michigan. You will have more employment options with a T13 degree. You'll also have a different life experience living in the upper midwest for a few years. Go for it!

Paul Campos

Silver

Post by Paul Campos » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:16 am

On top of everything else, the cost of living difference between Ann Arbor and LA is big enough that it's not even clear that Michigan will actually cost more in this scenario. This isn't a close call: Michigan all the way (said as a first generation Mexican-American who went to Michigan and then practiced for an LA law firm, although 30 years ago).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:36 am

https://www.lstreports.com/compare/michigan/usc

Shows--among other facts-- that the top states for placement are:

New York, Illinois, & Wash DC for Michigan = all at about 14%.

California (85.2%) & New York (8%) for USC

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:46 am

I'm not sure how that supports your argument that USC makes sense for the OP. Biglaw hiring only appears comparable if you look at this year alone and don't factor in the massive difference in fedclerk (and PI) placement. Once you account for that, Michigan is ahead of USC; and once you look back even 1-2 years (which you should, to account for the high likelihood that this hiring boom won't last), it's a massive difference.

The only possible reason the OP would have to choose USC in this scenario is if they lacked California ties, and they don't have that issue.

ETA (based on your additions): Michigan placed roughly 10% of its students in California, which is absolutely going to reflect self-selection. Again, this comparison doesn't make the point you seem to think it does.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:54 am

I agree as I did not post to support my earlier post; I posted as a point of information for OP to consider.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”