UIUC ($$$$) vs UMN ($$$) vs WUSTL ($$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
CosmicNobody

New

UIUC ($$$$) vs UMN ($$$) vs WUSTL ($$)

Post by CosmicNobody » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:32 pm

I'm looking for some outside input on which school to attend:

UIUC - $0 COA
UMN - $53k COA
WUSTL - $90k COA

The numbers above don't include living expenses, it seems like it's comparable in all three locations.
I'm fairly debt averse but do want some flexibility/portability. I liked Minneapolis a good bit when I visited, more than St Louis, and from what I hear I would love living in Chicago. I'm not biglaw or bust and would prefer something with better life/work balance, but also wouldn't mind trying it out for a year or two if I had the opportunity.

Seat deadlines are coming up and I feel like I've decided on a school and changed my mind about twenty times :?. I'm pretty sure for me now it's mainly down to UIUC vs UMN; I appreciate any input I can get!

Fireworks2016

Bronze

Re: UIUC ($$$$) vs UMN ($$$) vs WUSTL ($$)

Post by Fireworks2016 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:48 pm

CosmicNobody wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:32 pm
I'm looking for some outside input on which school to attend:

UIUC - $0 COA
UMN - $53k COA
WUSTL - $90k COA

The numbers above don't include living expenses, it seems like it's comparable in all three locations.
I'm fairly debt averse but do want some flexibility/portability. I liked Minneapolis a good bit when I visited, more than St Louis, and from what I hear I would love living in Chicago. I'm not biglaw or bust and would prefer something with better life/work balance, but also wouldn't mind trying it out for a year or two if I had the opportunity.

Seat deadlines are coming up and I feel like I've decided on a school and changed my mind about twenty times :?. I'm pretty sure for me now it's mainly down to UIUC vs UMN; I appreciate any input I can get!
Nearly identical employment stats between UMN and UIUC. I say save the 50k and go to Champaign.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:46 am

Since you have expressed a lot of doubt regarding school choice & because you have no clearly defined career goals, Illinois for free is probably your best & safest option.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:51 am

Seems like you don’t really care what you do or where you live. So, assuming you’re down to do whatever and live wherever, just go to school for free. Why spend more for a better chance at doing some subset of jobs that you don’t even necessarily want to do?

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:24 am

UIUC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CosmicNobody

New

Post by CosmicNobody » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:32 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:46 am
Since you have expressed a lot of doubt regarding school choice & because you have no clearly defined career goals, Illinois for free is probably your best & safest option.

I should have added it in the original post, but my career goal is to work in Environmental Regulatory Compliance; I'm just not sure if biglaw is a path to that or not.

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:41 pm

CosmicNobody wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:32 pm
CanadianWolf wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:46 am

I should have added it in the original post, but my career goal is to work in Environmental Regulatory Compliance; I'm just not sure if biglaw is a path to that or not.
This type of work is largely done by large firms or the EPA (or FERC, other BigFed agencies in the area) and equivalent state agencies, which often require biglaw credentials or to have come from biglaw. Definitely changes the calculus, but I'll let others chime in. Out if these schools I wouldn't say any give you an advantage in this field, so UIUC would likely be the best from the options because of the least downside in the likelihood you fall short of your goals. Real answer is probably to go to a better school if you're locked into doing that type of work.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”