UT($$) vs GW($) vs Fordham($$$) for Transferring back to Asia Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
johnnyzhuang823

New

UT($$) vs GW($) vs Fordham($$$) for Transferring back to Asia

Post by johnnyzhuang823 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:04 pm

Stats and Background:
169 (5 attempts)
3.77 NYU BA philosophy
nURM; Chinese Passport
Reapplicant

Schools:
Admitted: UT (45k+in state tuition=95k scholarship); GW (80k scholarship); Fordham (135k scholarship); BC (120k scholarship)
WL: NYU, NW, Duke, Georgetown, UCLA, BU, WUSTL, Vandy
Denied: Columbia, UChicago, UMich, UPenn

Current career goal: Biglaw, perhaps corporate/business related

1. In the long term, I hope to return to work in China/Asia (Hongkong, Singapore, etc.) for family reasons. The most ideal situation then will be to land a Biglaw job in the states and then transfer to its Asian office after a couple of years as an associate. UT appears to have an advantage when compared to GW and Fordham in terms of its Biglaw placement stats, but most of their Biglaw jobs seem to be based on regional law firms. I wouldn't mind working and living in Texas for a couple of years, but I'm worried that the regional nature of Texas Biglaws will make it harder for me to transfer to the Asia market since these firms might not have many international businesses.

GW and Fordham, on the other hand, seem to have a slight advantage in the DC/NYC market when compared with UT (correct me if I'm wrong though). I assume law firms in these areas deal with international clients more often than those in Texas and have more international offices, and therefore, perhaps easier for me to transfer back to Asia. But then the disadvantage is that both schools belong to the second tier of their market, which makes it harder for me to land a job in Biglaw.

How do you guys think I should weigh these pros and cons?

2. If I do well in 1L, I might consider transferring to a t14. Will UT have an advantage over GW and Fordham for transfer since it has a better ranking? (But I guess it also means that it is harder to get a good grade in UT?)

3. Are there any other recommended career path to work in Asia after obtaining a JD degree in the US? How would these three schools compare in that case?

Gonna submit my first round of deposits in two weeks so any input will be appreciated!

Thank you guys in advance!! 8)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”