Georgetown living expenses Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
axiomaticapiary

New

Georgetown living expenses

Post by axiomaticapiary » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:14 pm

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. I'm hoping to hear from some Georgetown students and/or alums.

I've been offered a great scholarship at Georgetown (50k/year for 150 total), but I am weighing it against lesser offers from more prestigious schools. Part of my rationale for choosing Georgetown over a T6 would be minimizing debt. I would be taking on only about $45k in tuition debt over three years (plus interest), but Georgetown estimates a significant $30,000 a year in living expenses.

If I was taking on $100,000 in debt just on living expenses and leaving Gtown with a number around $150k in debt, part of me feels like I might as well just take on an even higher number (in the 200-225 range) to go to Columbia/NYU (which at least guarantees biglaw and has a stronger LRAP). My scholarship at NYU is $78k total.

Of course DC is an expensive city. I am just wondering about those living expenses. Georgetown students and alums, is that about what you ended up spending? How hard is it to spend less than that? What kind of areas would you recommend living to cut down on rent? Do you have tips to avoid racking up living expenses debt while in school? Thanks a bunch for any help.

nealric

Re: Georgetown living expenses

Post by nealric » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:09 pm

I left DC just over 10 years ago, so I know many expenses have gone up, but I’m quite certain you can live much cheaper than the COL budget. My budget was around $15k/yr, and I doubt rent has doubled. Get roommates and don’t live in a fancy new apartment. They tend to be fairly generous in those COL numbers because it’s an effective cap on what you can borrow.

That said NYU would be a compelling offer in your case. I think it’s worth the premium.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:06 am

Agree that NYU with $78,000 in scholarship money is a better deal for you than Georgetown with $150,000.

$30,000 in living expenses is reasonable only if you are splitting rent & utilities with another; $30,000 is not sufficient if planning to live alone & not in a dorm room.

axiomaticapiary

New

Post by axiomaticapiary » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:55 am

Wait, so it's reasonable to expect I would spend MORE than thirty grand a year living alone?

Thank you for your input on NYU v. Georgetown. I'm planning to make another post in a few days to more fully explore that choice (and the others I'm facing), but am still trying to negotiate NYU up and have a few days to decide.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:26 pm

Yes, it can be more than $30,000 for living expenses in Wash DC assuming that one is living alone. Of course, "living expenses" needs to be defined. My impression is that living expenses include rent, utilities, transportation, & food. Rent for a small apartment can exceed $2,500 per month, but varies by location.

NYU deserves serious consideration versus Georgetown law. $150,000 versus $78,000 = $72,000. The near certainty of biglaw from NYU is worth the extra $24,000 per year, in my opinion.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”